Talk

Advanced search

UK Cuts Off Nose To Spite Face

(11 Posts)
borntobequiet Fri 24-Jun-16 07:37:07

(In the style of the New York Times headlines)
The potential consequences of this idiot decision are horrifying. I come from an Irish/Scots/Welsh family, born and living in England. I see the Union - which I cherish - destroyed, the peace process in Ireland dismantled, the economy shattered, my children's and their children's future blighted. All because people fell for a set of facile assertions, disingenuous claims and outright lies. At least I can apply for Irish citizenship...

originalmavis Fri 24-Jun-16 07:40:24

It's an anti immigratiom. The most vocal people I've met who were pro leave were immigrants - talk about pulling up the ladder behind you.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Fri 24-Jun-16 07:47:17

I voted out because of much more than imigration....

Happy independance day....

peachpudding Fri 24-Jun-16 08:38:20

Happy independance day, and the sun is shining so party party party.

concertplayer Fri 24-Jun-16 08:47:26

Born What will happen to the borders between England and Scotland?
Ireland? I think we may see referendum in N Ire and Eire. In fact
they may join together and we will see a United Ireland. A good thing

AugustaFinkNottle Fri 24-Jun-16 08:48:23

Loving the way the Brexiters are celebrating a day that they can't spell. Says it all.

originalmavis Fri 24-Jun-16 08:56:32

What happens to borders between NI/Eire and Gibraltar/Spain?

VoyageOfDad Fri 24-Jun-16 08:57:42

Pound down 10% , FTSE down 7-8%.

That's not something to celebrate, we may be on the edge of a cliff.

borntobequiet Fri 24-Jun-16 09:01:28

I think the issue of The England/Scotland border was explored during the run up to the Scottish independence referendum and I can't recall any real solutions being put forward. If I lived in Scotland, I'd want a second independence referendum.
Personally I would love to see a united Ireland but I'm afraid the sectarian divisions in the North run too deep. And the idea of an international, policed, passport checking border between the Republic and Northern Ireland fills me with trepidation.

originalmavis Fri 24-Jun-16 09:25:39

I'd still vote no for Scottish independence but might be tempted to see if we could go and play with Sweden.

KateInKorea Sat 25-Jun-16 04:33:05

I'm not sure that RoI would pass a referendum to unite with NI.

But I do think that RoI would be much better at "showing the love" to our dyed Orange in the wool brothers and sisters.

Maybe if the economy tanks sufficiently they will see south as altogether sunnier.

Interesting times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now