Russians attack US backed rebels in Syria

(10 Posts)
cupidsgame Sun 19-Jun-16 16:51:00

I'm worried this could get out of hand. They're practically fighting each other. Is this it?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 19-Jun-16 16:57:59

I can't find anything OP, where did you see it?

cupidsgame Sun 19-Jun-16 16:59:25

It was trending on Facebook.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 19-Jun-16 17:35:09

I'm not on FB unfortunately. Is it correct?

cupidsgame Sun 19-Jun-16 17:42:45

I don't know * thickandthin* do you think it's just scaremongering.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 19-Jun-16 17:45:35

Just googled again, CNN say Russians deny it. Don't worry just yet, although I get your concern.

cupidsgame Sun 19-Jun-16 18:02:43

TY

chilledwarmth Sun 19-Jun-16 18:54:01

Maybe we shouldn't BE backing rebels to destabilize a a foreign country in the first place, then Russia wouldn't need to do stuff like this to prop up the actual government of that country.

OurBlanche Sun 19-Jun-16 19:02:08

... or maybe Putin is as desperate to hang on to his power base and will do anything to bolster his ratings. We may no longer have the Cold War, but the players haven't changed that much and nor, it seems, have the rules of the game.

Then again, having lived through bomb threats, 2 minutes to midnight, Cold War politics, Falklands, Rainbow Warrior, French bombing of inhabited atolls, Nestle, Monsanta etc I am inured to much political bluster and violence. Like many others of my age, I compartmentalise such actions into what I can and cannot influence. I harden my heart against what I cannot... unpleasant but pragmatic. And I do a lot for the things I can influence.

chilledwarmth Mon 20-Jun-16 00:26:04

Russia doesn't want Syria being controlled by US backed rebels. You can't blame them for trying to stop that. If Russian backed rebels were taking control we would be bombing them as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now