Talk

Advanced search

Alex Salmond, "Scots would be entitled to a second reffendum" ..

(5 Posts)
ProfessorPreciseaBug Wed 15-Jun-16 06:52:06

If there is a vote for leave...

Is that a dream ticket for England?

namechangeparents Wed 15-Jun-16 08:28:10

No they wouldn't be "entitled" to one Alex. But I did agree with your suggested amendment to the referendum legislation that a majority to leave should be required in each constituent country of the UK and I don't think it's remotely fair that Scotland should be dragged out of the EU if the rest of the UK (England) votes to leave.

If we have a situation where Scotland Wales and NI have voted to stay and England votes to leave, I think we have a big problem.

Why would a second Scotland referendum be a dream ticket for England? The break-up of the UK would be a bad thing.

MissMargie Wed 15-Jun-16 09:38:29

I'm pretty sure with no wealthy oil industry it would be a NO again.

But all this posturing makes house prices flounder. You aren't going to buy a property where, after Independence, the taxes are hiked.

peachpudding Wed 15-Jun-16 11:31:34

It would be interesting if England votes to leave but because of Scotland the UK as a whole votes to stay, would England get a second vote?

You would think the SNP would want the UK to leave so it can then have a excuse to hold a send referendum to leave the UK.

Overrunwithlego Wed 15-Jun-16 12:10:30

peachpudding I don't think so but its not quite the same thing. If Scotland votes to stay and england votes to leave, Alex salmond is saying Scotland should have a referendum to leave the uk. There would then be a separate follow up issue / refer fun with regards Scotland joining the EU. So the comparison would be England having a referendum to leave the uk, which I think would automatically take them out of the EU?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now