Advanced search

Woman who was raped arrested in Qatar

(19 Posts)
BeJayKayven Sat 11-Jun-16 19:46:53

For having sex outside marriage 😶

Dreadful story

BBC

BravoHopeful Sat 11-Jun-16 20:05:41

Awful. Shocking. I have travelled all round the world, but not to the Middle East, and would really be unwilling to do so.

annandale Sat 11-Jun-16 20:11:52

It sounds like a legal fudge will be done as in the earlier case of the Norwegian woman.

Thinking of all women who get raped in countries where the rule of law is used to oppress women.

LittleMissBossyBoots Mon 13-Jun-16 15:36:54

I've just seen that she's now been convicted. Poor woman sad

cressetmama Mon 13-Jun-16 15:38:56

Islam and Sharia law automatically presumes women guilty.

Likeaninjanow Mon 13-Jun-16 15:41:53

I can't believe this goes on today. That poor woman sad

situatedknowledge Mon 13-Jun-16 15:43:00

Truly dreadful.

feckity Mon 13-Jun-16 15:46:28

So rape is pretty much legal in Qatar then? European women on holiday might get pardoned and sent home hopefully, but for local women if they ask for help after being raped they will get arrested and convicted. That's horrific.

cressetmama Mon 13-Jun-16 15:49:22

In rape cases, in Qatar, the woman is charged with having sex outside marriage, which is punishable in Sharia law, even though she may be completely innocent of any form of provocation.

80Kgirl Mon 13-Jun-16 15:50:58

I agree, I would never want to travel there. I am sure there are amazing things to see, but how could I willingly go somewhere with so much misogyny when I am a woman?

Thefitfatty Mon 13-Jun-16 15:59:28

If it was a local woman raped in Qatar, or even another Arab, generally what happens is the family takes care of it. Which, depending on the circumstances of the rape, means the rapist ends up dead or exiled, the victim and rapist end up married, or the woman is "unmarriable" at least in Qatar. This is, of course, dependent on the level of education of the family. More western educated families would opt for the exile/murder route.

One of the biggest problems here is that it's a foreign woman versus a local. She doesn't stand a chance.

Helmetbymidnight Mon 13-Jun-16 16:04:51

And we are having the World Cup there?
It's astounding.

Thefitfatty Mon 13-Jun-16 16:11:18

Yes it is. And I say this as someone who lived there for 5 years and has many Qatari friends. It does have redeeming qualities. Just hard to think of them at the moment

Limer Mon 13-Jun-16 16:20:54

Genuinely interested to hear of any redeeming qualities of such an unequal society.

Thefitfatty Mon 13-Jun-16 16:36:48

In general there are people (men, women) trying to change things. It's inspiring. But it's a hard battle. And if you look at focuses on art, education and science, it's also inspiring

feckity Mon 13-Jun-16 16:45:41

That's horrendous thefitfatty, I'm not sure I'd categorise any of those outcomes as 'taking care of it'. When I said rape was legal I was imagining the woman having zero incentive to report a rape, when those are the outcomes facing her.

80Kgirl Mon 13-Jun-16 18:45:33

I just had a thought, does the foreign office caution British citizens against travelling to Qatar?

Thefitfatty Mon 13-Jun-16 18:48:51

No.

80Kgirl Mon 13-Jun-16 19:58:40

Seems odd, looking objectively at it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now