Have we really just been taught how to apply sun cream on BBC news?

(26 Posts)
YorkieDorkie Mon 06-Jun-16 08:52:52

Do people really not know how to do it? Isn't it more about people not applying it because they want a really dark tan?

YorkieDorkie Mon 06-Jun-16 08:53:45

Pics

MrsJayy Mon 06-Jun-16 08:57:56

Tbf he was talking about protection but the demonstration was silly. But i do know a lot of people who dont use suncream on sunny days here and will burn to a crisp or just put it on once.

YorkieDorkie Mon 06-Jun-16 09:09:44

I missed the beginning so I hoped it was something sensible like talking about SPF. I walked in when he was mentioning how much to use and of course Louise was asking typically daft journo questions. It just seemed so nanny-like. Are people really that sheltered?

MrsJayy Mon 06-Jun-16 09:14:03

Yeah people are that sheltered and ignorant about suncream they will buy it to go to spain for a fornight but not bother here its been really warm here for a week and a tonne of lobster people wandering about

PurpleDaisies Mon 06-Jun-16 09:18:11

Loads of people don't use nearly enough sunscreen when they apply it. Patronising news features really irritate me but I think this one is probably OK (not having seen it).

MrsJayy Mon 06-Jun-16 09:29:58

My sister doesnt wear it my parents dont either <sigh> mum gave me a face when i said i had bought suncream. Dp are currently on holiday she bought factor 12 or something and will come home like a brown leather couch

NattyGolfJerkin Mon 06-Jun-16 09:46:21

People often don't apply enough, either. So they'll use a blob of spf50 for their whole body and think they are getting SPF50 equivalent sun protection but the protection ratings are calculated on much larger amounts. It should be a 'shot glass' / 2 tablespoons of suncream for the exposed areas (assuming you are in normal summer clothes), obviously more if you are in swimwear and more skin is directly exposed

nuttymango Mon 06-Jun-16 09:48:56

My DS got burnt yesterday despite having been offered sun cream. Today I asked him if he'd put it in his school bag, he assured me that he had. Guess what I just found in his room? sad

He's a ginger lobster at the moment but he's only got himself to blame as he was told to use it but didn't bother (he's nearly 18 so it's his responsibility)

NattyGolfJerkin Mon 06-Jun-16 09:49:15

(Sun screen SPF is tested on a ratio of 2mg of product per square cm of skin)

MrsJayy Mon 06-Jun-16 09:54:34

Silly boy oh well he is the 1 getting crispy as you said he is nearly 18. Dh went fishing yesterday came home scarlet hes bloody 45

LizKeen Mon 06-Jun-16 09:57:03

I have to say, I have applied sun cream only twice to the DCs this year, and not once to me.

None of us are burnt and we usually do burn.

I don't know. I think that there are a lot of really stupid people who do need told how to use sun cream. But for me, sun cream isn't the only answer.

I also think that these daytime programmes are really running out of content. This Morning has turned into a trashy magazine, and Loose Women is resorting to exploiting the kids of Z list celebrities. Being told how to apply sun cream is probably the least offensive thing on in the day.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 06-Jun-16 10:03:26

I've been advised against loads of sun cream due to a severe vit D deficiency. I've not burnt, or even gone pink!

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 06-Jun-16 10:09:46

Yes i think some people do need to be shown! I know people who never wear sun cream.

I go down to school at lunchtime to top my older 2 dcs up but I'm one of only a handful of parents that does. I put it on every morning after my shower SPF30 & still get a nice tan (reapply at lunch & pre pm school run also), the DCs have SPF50 & also still tan as they have olive tones in their skin little gits (Nivea brand in both cases so UVA & B protection too).

MrsJayy Mon 06-Jun-16 10:17:53

You do need a little exposure to sun for vit D i dont burn i have olive skin but if you are going to be out in the sun for long periods of time then you need protection we slather kids but forget ourselves.

AugustaFinkNottle Mon 06-Jun-16 11:20:56

Whenever I go on holiday in the UK if there's a smidgen of sun there are swarms of people glowing bright red and it looks so painful. It makes me particularly cross if it's children. So I would say any reminder can only be helpful.

NeedACleverNN Mon 06-Jun-16 11:23:43

Dh refuses to use it. He got badly burnt last year and even ended up with a bit of heat stroke. Spent several days in bed quite poorly.

When he recovered enough to be stable I used to poke his sun burn and say serves you right.

Guess what? He still won't wear the bugger

HappyNevertheless Mon 06-Jun-16 11:28:06

You do need some sun though to build up the vitD.
Using so much suncream is the one of the main reason why most people in the UK are deficinet in vitD and that in itself causes plenty of problems.

I don't plaster myself or the dcs with suncream at the first hint of sunshine. Nor do I reapply it every couple of hours.
I would if I was in Sapin in the middle of summer. Or for a full day out in the the full sun.
Nor here for a few hours in the sun.
Neither myself or the dcs get sunburnt btw. DH does more often but he has an extremely fair skin.

I would never and have put suncream on my dcs for school and certainly wouldn't go for a top up at lunch time.
They are out for such a sort time that there is no way they will get a sunburn.

HappyNevertheless Mon 06-Jun-16 11:29:02

Need having a sunburn and getting a heat stroke are two different things. Your DH would have had a heat stroke even with suncream and no sunburn.

HappyNevertheless Mon 06-Jun-16 11:29:44

Btw, advice now is to NOT put suncream all the time because the vitD issue.

NeedACleverNN Mon 06-Jun-16 11:30:25

He complained more about the burn than feeling shit so the poking was justified grin

LizKeen Mon 06-Jun-16 12:20:02

My philosophy is the same as Happy.

DD1 came home from school saying they were told they had to wear sun cream to school. I told her she wouldn't be, I explained why and she was happy enough.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 06-Jun-16 12:47:26

See mine do lessons outside for most of the day this time of year. I would rather be thought of a silly for reapplying than them getting burnt because I didn't. DC3 goes to nursery in the afternoon so I am there anyway. I agree that sunlight is needed for vitD, they ate breakfast in the garden this morning in the sun (& do so daily when it's nice) & will water the garden with me tonight without any.

YorkieDorkie Mon 06-Jun-16 15:57:56

Slathered my DD in it today for the very first time! She's only 4 months and it hasn't been sunny or high UV around here all year!

Of course I know that it's so important for everyone to protect their skin but it was the trio on TV that made me sneer! Louise Minchin, an "expert" and a hairy, skinny guy to demo grin I'm just thinking of the response if it had been a gorgeous beach clad woman or a muscle rippled fireman type haha! Perhaps the guy was chosen deliberately halo.

ForHarry Mon 06-Jun-16 16:04:39

They should go back to making public information films and then let the news report news and not resemble Newsround!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now