Toddler breaks $15K Lego sculpture - share your disaster stories here

(97 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Jun-16 13:02:37

Hello all

This morning at MNHQ we've been gasping at this story, in which a $15K Lego sculpture was accidentally destroyed by a child less than an hour after it went on display in China.

It turns out that quite a few of us have war stories about times our children very nearly - or <sob> actually - destroyed things while in our care, and we thought it would be good to hear yours too, in the spirit of mutual support and/or confession. So, if it's not still too raw grin, do share your experiences of times toddler met delicate object, with suboptimal results - close shaves also very welcome.

ijustwannadance Wed 01-Jun-16 13:15:17

And that is why I hide my lego if other people's children are coming to my house.

The other story on that link page is worse about boy being left in the forest as punishment!

insancerre Wed 01-Jun-16 13:16:08

grin
Sorry but that has tickled me
My DC have broken More things than I can remember
D's once dropped a whole tin of white paint on the floor when he was 3

BikeRunSki Wed 01-Jun-16 13:21:05

When dS was about 18 months old I was in a rather "naice" farm shop as a treat. I was queuing and was carrying dS so his head was on my shoulder looking back. Then I heard the sound of breaking glass. He'd swept an entire shelf of fancy jams and chutneys onto the (stone) floor. About 30 jars, smashed. It was also extremely messy! The shop were great, but couldn't get us out of there fast enough! A year or so later he tangled up all the embroidery silks hanging on a display stand in a craft shop. That didn't go so well.

Whitelisbon Wed 01-Jun-16 13:40:00

Took the kids to a local country estate, and nipped into the very nice cafe to hide from a thunderstorm.

I was taking dd's coat off, dh at the counter ordering drinks, ds strapped safely into his buggy, when I heard an almighty crash. Ds (about 18 months), had grabbed a shelf unit, and knocked it over. It was covered in glass ornaments of various animals, all made by a local semi famous artist, and all very expensive shock

When the manager had a bit of a go at me, and threatened to charge me for the damages (which would probably have run into thousands), I pointed out that if the unit was attached to the wall, it wouldn't have happened, and she was lucky it hadn't landed on ds and injured him blush.

We decided to go back outside and brave the weather, and I've never been back since. Not one of my finer moments!

Valentine2 Wed 01-Jun-16 13:47:28

My iPad 😣 And it was brand new and gift from DH. don't think I will ever get over tha trauma of that moment. grin

Valentine2 Wed 01-Jun-16 13:50:30

So far we have managed to not break anything anywhere outside our home. That's an achievement I am proud of <dons the tin hat>

MunchCrunch01 Wed 01-Jun-16 13:51:36

My diamond engagement ring - my 4 yo DD snaffled it out of my drawer, was playing with it, I didn't realise, called her for dinner and she left it in an old cloth bag in her bedroom then forgot all about it. 3 months later we found it again, I'd written it off, checked the hoover fluff etc!

QueenofallIsee Wed 01-Jun-16 13:52:07

DS4 painstakingly wrote his own name on multiple cards that went alongside entries into our local (quite large) county fair. So 'Queens son name aged 5' entered every single Victoria Sponge, each knitted cardigan, multiple decorative fruit baskets and a load of sketches in age group 5-7. We still don't know what happened to the original cards but a punch up nearly broke out when 2 folks tried to lay claim to the winning fruit basket.

DP was in charge during this period. I was happily browsing the food tent. I have still not got over the horror of it

BumpPower Wed 01-Jun-16 13:57:41

2yr old DS left alone for 3 mins in the lounge (not our lounge!!) where he found a permanent marker and did this to a cream sofa!!!shock

ouryve Wed 01-Jun-16 13:58:34

Oops! I thought they usually glued those big things?

The worst either of mine has done is DS1 accidentally partially demolishing Tower bridge when it was on display in John Lewis. He did fix it, to the best of his ability, though.

ouryve Wed 01-Jun-16 14:06:44

That sofa one does remind me of when DS2 decided to dismantle the blackout blind in his bedroom. I'd forgotten about that! He was 8, at the time (but has severe ASD - hence the blackout blind in the first place!)

VeryFoolishFay Wed 01-Jun-16 14:44:44

My 4 year DS found a treasured collection of untouched Dinky cars, and whilst I was having a quiet coffee with the owner's mother in another room, ripped the cardboard box off of every single one. He was simply 'taking them out of their rubbish'. I was mortified.

GloGirl Wed 01-Jun-16 14:53:44

My God Foolish! What on earth did the owner say?!

WeetabixLorry Wed 01-Jun-16 14:57:25

My horror story happened in the shop pictured and is probably best left to your imagination. As in, imagine the worst thing that could happen in a crowded shop full of very expensive, fragile Christmas oraments in Bruges.

The worst part is this incident occurred when DS was in his buggy, only 6 months old and was entirely my fault

SharonBottsPoundOfGrapes Wed 01-Jun-16 14:57:59

There was a story in our local paper about a woman whose son found her 4 urban decay eyeshadow palettes and destroyed them by covering himself in them. Dh got me a selection of stuff from Benefit. I had a Big Beautiful Eyes palette that I adored but lost. He bought me a new one. He left the bag at the bottom of the stairs. Dd found it and destroyed it. I only found out when I opened the bag. The third one I bought was lost in the mail. I gave up on it.

frog51 Wed 01-Jun-16 15:05:26

Hope they don't tread on any of it. The worst pain known to mankind

VeryFoolishFay Wed 01-Jun-16 15:09:03

Glo - from memory, she cried. Then her husband came home from work and also cried. In my defence, they were in a children's playroom, at a level obviously easily accessible to a 4 year old. He thought he was being helpful rather than destructive. He's now 16 but the memory hasn't really faded.

NKFell Wed 01-Jun-16 15:10:21

We had a wondeful fresco painting- roughly 3ft high, 7 to 8ft wide. It was a family scene and very colourful.

Walls were just plastered (plasterer left 30mins prior) and drying, DD (3yrs) found felt tips.

VeryFoolishFay Wed 01-Jun-16 15:11:01

The actual owner was their 8 year old son. The parents were both accountants, so I'm assuming the lost investment potential was a big factor... It was awful. But I do see her occasionally now and we get on fine. We've never mentioned it since.

listsandbudgets Wed 01-Jun-16 15:11:08

DD managed to sweep a whole shelf of mugs onto the floor in Star Bucks when she was 3. The ones that were for sale. Needless to say 80% of them smashed. I don't know how she did it. I lost my temper with her as I stood ankle deep in china.

The staff were lovely and clearly decided the poor girl had been punished enough by my outburst as they gave her a lollipop and ignored all my suggestions I should pay for the mugs.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 01-Jun-16 15:11:39

Let's be fair - he didn't exactly destroy it, did he, he dismantled it. It's LEGO! I get that it took the artist 3 days to make it, but he can do it again - it's not broken, it's just in component parts again.

Lego, people. Lego. Made to be built and dismantled and built again. grin

Unlike the other story mentioned where some little vandals broke wings off a glass sculpture - now that's actually breaking something.

DS2 has broken various things but nothing belonging to anyone else, that I can remember.

QueenOnAPlate Wed 01-Jun-16 15:13:48

My child, aged 4, watched the gasman service the fire. The next morning I came down to find he had unscrewed the fire from the wall and dismantled it. I dread to think what could gave happened if I hadn't come down!

Greenyogagirl Wed 01-Jun-16 15:14:39

Took my son to the doctor who exhibition in Cardiff. It was a few years ago and they had a sleigh used in the Christmas special. He was 3 or 4 at the time and climbed into it as I was paying, cue loads of staff running (in slow motion in my memory) going nooooooooooooo. Turns out they hadn't finished filming with it. Obviously ds gets down, using a handy lever thing which promptly snaps off.

Christmas special airs and I can't help but try and work out if the sleigh is still damaged!

P1nkP0ppy Wed 01-Jun-16 15:16:15

Not my dc but certainly noticed far too late someone's DC when they yelled ' Come and wipe my bum' in a bathroom showroom full of shoppers in Bristol 😀😳

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now