4 year old boy falls into gorilla enclosure at US zoo

(217 Posts)
littleducks Sun 29-May-16 10:06:52

The gorilla was then shot. Really shocked at this (daily mail suggests a similar incident occurred 30 years ago in Jersey).

http://m.wlwt.com/news/video-gorilla-grabs-child-whos-fallen-into-habitat/39774904

fakenamefornow Sun 29-May-16 10:10:40

Very sad, poor gorilla, I guess they had no choice but to kill it though.

Samcro Sun 29-May-16 10:14:15

i was just going to post about this. how the hell did the child climb in? it said climb in in the news...and then he fell in a moat.
where were the parents??
how sad that the gorilla had to die.

kinkytoes Sun 29-May-16 10:15:50

Awful news. The zoo has failed both visitor and exhibit here. Unacceptable.

mrsclooneytoyou Sun 29-May-16 10:18:37

So they have kept a gorilla in captivity for years and then shoot it dead due to bad parenting. Really awful

FuzzyOwl Sun 29-May-16 10:19:34

I saw this and have to admit I didn't read the article. My immediate thoughts were for the poor gorilla and how could a child have got into such an enclosure. I don't mean that in a supervision way (although his parents should have been watching out for him, but four year olds do have a tendancy to run ahead and I know this) but that the zoo should never have had any openings that anyone, unless they were authorised, could get through.

Floggingmolly Sun 29-May-16 10:20:53

How is it possible for your child to climb into a gorilla enclosure without you noticing? The parents should be charged with neglect. Poor animal sad

BoGrainger Sun 29-May-16 10:22:27

Is there no such things as those dart guns that stun animals temporarily ? This is awful news

NoCapes Sun 29-May-16 10:22:52

I can't see the link but why was the gorilla killed?? Couldn't they have just sedated it while they got the boy out?

firesidechat Sun 29-May-16 10:23:25

It's very sad. A beautiful and rare animal dead because some parents don't supervise their children properly.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 29-May-16 10:24:02

What kind of shit enclosure would mean this was even possible.

so an animal is so unsafely and unsuitably housed that a small child can get in and the poor gorilla has to pay with his life?

poor thing.

firesidechat Sun 29-May-16 10:24:42

Sedation takes time, it isn't instantaneous and the gorilla was huge. If it keeled over it could easily have crushed the child.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 29-May-16 10:25:15

dart guns take time to work. there's no telling bow badly hurt a person could be in the few mins it can take. .and that's providing the person was a dood enough shit and/or the gorilla didn't pull it out befire the dose was administered

Wordsaremything Sun 29-May-16 10:25:28

Whatmrsclooney said sadangry
Why couldn't they just have sedated him?
How on earth was the kid allowed to roam so far away from its parents?

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 29-May-16 10:25:41

Good enough shot

SuburbanRhonda Sun 29-May-16 10:26:26

The zoo said a tranquilizer wouldn't have worked quickly enough. They admitted the boy wasn't in immediate danger, but that he was at risk. It's a tragic case - gorillas are endangered and this is a real setback for their breeding programme.

firesidechat Sun 29-May-16 10:26:31

I think the child fell in to the moat, so one of those enclosures where you get a good view of the animals, but the animals can't escape. At least that's how it looked in the film.

Wordsaremything Sun 29-May-16 10:27:09

I understand it would take time to work, but the poor thing keeled over when he was killed anyway.

FuzzyOwl Sun 29-May-16 10:27:40

Surely fire that would have been an equal risk of the gorilla staggering around dying and collapsing on the child.

If it does turn out that the parents were neglectful then I think they should be charged. I think the zoo also needs to look at all of its enclosures and make sure nobody can gain access unless they are supposed to.

Poor gorilla. So unfair and sad.

firesidechat Sun 29-May-16 10:28:42

That's true, but a sedated animal is probably more dangerous as they get disorientated. You can't blame the zoo. The child looked so vulnerable to serious harm.

Samcro Sun 29-May-16 10:29:16

i hope if the parents were neglectful they are sued

FuzzyOwl Sun 29-May-16 10:30:06

Lots of cross posts with my reply fire and yes, I can see that the zoo needed to prioritise the child although it seems such a pointless waste.

Samcro Sun 29-May-16 10:31:54

jsut watched the video and it doesn't look like the childs being hurt

NeedACleverNN Sun 29-May-16 10:33:25

Anyone remember that story where a little boy fell into a gorilla enclosure years ago and one male cared for him and protected him from the alpha until the zoo could get him out?

TychosNose Sun 29-May-16 10:35:04

The kid was being dragged wound for ten minutes according to the graun. I'd have said the kid was in immediate danger!
Very traumatic for the poor thing.
I imagine more likely the parents will sue the zoo for not having safe barriers to stop children getting in rather than parents being sued for neglect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now