Ulster Unionist Party to form opposition to Stormont

(4 Posts)
JustLostTheGame Thu 12-May-16 20:24:28

UTV

Can anyone break this down and explain what this means? Is it a positive for politics here? Or just a grabbing at straws response to disappointing election results?

DoinItFine Thu 12-May-16 20:29:59

I think it's really positive and I'm delighted.

We have had a government with no real opposition for nearly 20 years.

Power sharing has effectively meant that the two biggest, more extreme sectarian parties have had pretty much a clear run of things - pretending to be at loggerheads whilst colluding to rule in both their interests and constantly keeping a mobile in reserve that they can attempt to threaten the UK government with.

It should have happened years ago, but the SDLP and UUP were more interested in ministerial positions than making decisions in the interests of a decent future for NI.

JustLostTheGame Thu 12-May-16 20:35:11

Thanks for responding Doin. I am extremely ignorant about our own politics (and politics in general). Does this mean we would have a situation where UUP would be up against the coalition for the first and deputy first minister positions? So DUP/SF could be out?

DoinItFine Thu 12-May-16 22:03:01

No, it just means that instead of being part of the Executive and getting a ministerial seat, they will not be part of the power sharing government and will act as an opposition to that government.

I think the DUP will get an extra ministerial seat as a result of this.

As much as I loathe them, I'm still pleased. Well done, Mike Nesbitt.

I would have given the UUP a preference if they had been clear before the election that they were going to do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now