Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AFTER THE PIT BULL THREAD ADVICE NEEDED DESPERATLY...

(310 Posts)
kittylette Thu 04-Jan-07 15:50:09

i need advice,

BIL and SIL have a rotweiller/alsation cross, its huge,

theyve just had a baby son

weve told them the dangers (shouldnt have to really) but they sent a pic of the tiny baby lay across the front paws of the dog

i have two sons and havent visted them for 2 years because i wont allow them near the dog

in my pre-kids days the dog attacked me, tried to bite me BIL had to physically beat the dog to subdue it away from me,

its not a nice dog

im fear for the safety of my nephew

should i phone someone?

social serices?

i dont want to but how would i feel if something happened?

when you first meet the dog, you have to sit low down on the floor with your arms crossed and not give it eye contact

surely thats not right?

sjould a dog like that be near a bay?

they say is soft as anytning, its a big baby

kittylette Thu 04-Jan-07 15:55:15

Oh they live at home too, and the dog sleeps in the room with them and baby

percypig Thu 04-Jan-07 16:08:03

I would try to speak to them again then phone someone tbh. The recent news stories may have made them realise how potentially dangerous this is. If they are still not receptive you could try phoning the police, I'm not sure of the legal position, is their dog illegal?

I live in Northern Ireland and one local council has just started a pit bull amnesty - any dogs handed in during January will be put down without the owners being prosecuted.

bluejelly Thu 04-Jan-07 16:13:36

Dogs that have previously attacked people are highly likely to do it again. I would do something pronto

CountessDracula Thu 04-Jan-07 16:14:56

If the dog has previously been vicious then I would be concerned. Dogs can get VERY jealous of new babies

donnie Thu 04-Jan-07 16:15:27

the dog is clearly dangerous having attacked people already. They are stupid and selfish for allowing it such close contact with the baby. I personally would want to take some kind of action but are they actually breaking the law?

difficult.Don't blame you for not visiting, I wouldn't either.Not sure what action you could take tbh.

Blu Thu 04-Jan-07 16:19:40

It sounds as if the baby is in danger. If it moves or cies out suddenly, taking the dog by surprise, who knows what could happen.

I don't know what you can do for the best - but agree that something needs to be done. I wonder whether calling the police, not 999 obviously, a local number, and asking the community police advisor what could be done...in confidence. Or if there is a dog charity that could advise you? Get googling?

paulaplumpbottom Thu 04-Jan-07 17:13:44

I would speak to them first. Calling social services or the poice on them surely would not be great for family relations. Just be frank with them.

Caligula Thu 04-Jan-07 19:59:43

They are obviously hideously stupid people. But I don't think they are breaking any laws, incredibly.

christie1 Thu 04-Jan-07 20:00:54

can't you call but ask them to not use your name (although they may figure it out). I would talk to them one more time first. I wouldn't let my kids near it. My neighbors used to walk to huge dogs with their newborn. Another friend told me she visited them and the husband told her to stay back from the dog, it was a rotweiller and getting very old and cranky. Yikes! I stopped have friendly chats with them outside my house with the kids around when they had the dog.

MummyPenguin Thu 04-Jan-07 22:29:08

This is scary. Definately really get your concerns across to them. Failing that, call someone for advice, even a local vet. They'll be able to put you in touch with the best person to speak to.

lulumama Thu 04-Jan-07 22:33:47

you need to do something kitty., you fear for your own childrens safety, and therefore would not forgive yourself if anything happened to your nephew
what a horrible predicament
what happens if the baby , when older,hits the fdog, throws a toy at it or pulls its ears?

can the RSPCA advise you?

zephyrcat Thu 04-Jan-07 22:42:09

Kitty you need to something. Soon. I cannot believe the stupidity of them having a dog like that around a baby.

Clearly the dog is in charge, not them and the dog will not tolerate a baby. Dogs are pack animals and you have to be the boss of them. Having to get on the floor and not look at it is indicating to the dog that he is the pack alpha. It won't take much for it to turn on a small child

The actual breeding of the dog may be questionable too. My sisder's dad bought my Mum a bull mastiff crossed with a great dane and he bit a young lad. Turns out that breeding like that is illegal.

Please please call someone asap.

themoon66 Thu 04-Jan-07 22:45:31

You must do something... imagine how horrible you will feel when something dreadful happens to that poor little baby. Am shocked actually that any woman would lie her newborn on the floor in the same room as any dog, never mind over its paws

zephyrcat Thu 04-Jan-07 22:48:03

Kitty if you are hesitant to do it because you don't want them to know it's you then I can do it for you?

ChicPea Thu 04-Jan-07 22:48:54

Agree with zephyrcat, that dog rules the roost and thats ridiculous. Its the owners fault though and lets hope it doesn't end in disaster. I would speak to the rspca anonymously and see what they advise.

lulumama Thu 04-Jan-07 22:53:57

that ;s a nice offer zephyrcat....

nothercules Thu 04-Jan-07 22:57:51

Dog should be put down and i like dogs but ffs.

zephyrcat Thu 04-Jan-07 23:16:14

I prob won't be on mn in the morning but I pass an RSPCA office on my way to town. I am tempted to pop in and ask some advice for Kitty, but I don't want to interfere.... should I?

themoon66 Thu 04-Jan-07 23:18:49

Yes... call in. I would.

hunkermunker Thu 04-Jan-07 23:26:02

God, people are such IDIOTS about dogs like this.

I would phone the police, tbh. No idea if that's right, but the police would surely know what to do? [naively believes the police know everything]

hunkermunker Thu 04-Jan-07 23:27:35

Zephyr, yes, call in. I would.

AitchTwoOhOhSeven Thu 04-Jan-07 23:31:05

i think the photo proves how unaware these people are so someone has to act... the poor baby. and the poor dog. and what's with the bowing down in front of the mutt? very frightening.

NurseyJo Thu 04-Jan-07 23:32:00

Message withdrawn

zephyrcat Thu 04-Jan-07 23:34:30

I will pop in in the morning and ask for some advice for you Kittylette. I hope you don't mind but I couldn't rest knowing that this dog is a disaster waiting to happen. I've had lots of experience of dogs and this is so dangerous.

My Mum also had a Staffordshire (my sister's idiot father once again ) and when my sister was about 2/3 and I was babysitting she was playing with him. She came up behind him and put her arm over his neck to give him a cuddle. He turned and snapped at her face. She still has a scar on her lip and I still have an overwhelming feeling of guilt 13 years later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now