Corbyn has deleted all his anti EU speeches

(58 Posts)
Justanotherlurker Sat 05-Mar-16 20:38:28

There was outrage at the Tories modifying there robots.txt file and deleting all there pre manifesto speeches from the official conservative website, yet as we are repeatedly told by Corbyn most vocal supporters he is apparently a principal end man and is trying to usher in some new kind of politics.

Is this a sign that politics is generally broken wrt 'new politics' or considering the upcoming EU vote, is Corbyn just trying to be opposition for oppositions sake?

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12184405/Jeremy-Corbyn-accused-of-rewriting-history-after-deleting-hundreds-of-outspoken-articles-and-speeches-from-his-website.html

friendlyfoxes Sat 05-Mar-16 20:41:54

That's a shame.

Stand by your convictions, Corbyn.

AnnaForbes Sat 05-Mar-16 20:49:21

I thought he had more integrity than that. Just as weak as the rest of the Labour party then.

Shutthatdoor Sat 05-Mar-16 20:51:05

Doesn't suprise me tbh

SpringingIntoAction Sat 05-Mar-16 22:57:12

Luckily I saved one of his tweets about the EU

10 Dec 2011 26 EU Govts hand economic power to unelected Commission. EU wants to protect privilege of the City. Who is defending workers jobs and services?

So that's what Corbyn used to think before he underwent his Damascene conversion.

You can always tell when a politician is just parroting a view that he does not believe in. They can't adequately defend their pretend views because all their rationality and logic tells them they should be saying the reverse of what they are saying.

Corbyn is a disappointment because he has proven he is not actually a conviction politician - you cannot speak out against and vote exclusively against the EU over decades and then decide we're better off in.

I could just about tolerate flip-flopping for political gain on minor matters, but when its the future of your country at stake it's despicable.

The sad thing is that had he backed LEAVE he would have won the referendum, which would have given him a power base for 2020.

He blew it.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sat 05-Mar-16 22:59:33

I am guessng his problem is that no one was taking any notice of everything he was saying before he became famous when he was trying to get attention

Now he is famous he realises most of what he said could get him in trouble...

SpringingIntoAction Sat 05-Mar-16 23:03:24

Very true. He sold out. The £3 voters will be delighted

VertigoNun Sat 05-Mar-16 23:03:45

That's a shame.

PigletJohn Sat 05-Mar-16 23:07:02

That's interesting

Has Boris done the same with all his pro-EU ones?

Justanotherlurker Sat 05-Mar-16 23:40:09

Pigletjohn, I'm not sure he has, and if he has I'm sure it will be picked up in the appropraite press...

However, invoking a tu quoquoe argument is not really addressing my op.

AlpacaLypse Sat 05-Mar-16 23:42:37

I'm sorry Corbyn's done this, although I'm not a political fan I had admired his integrity. Looks like he's sold out now though...

AlpacaLypse Sat 05-Mar-16 23:44:10

Piglet I've recently googled Boris's old speeches and articles, there were definitely more anti EU ones than pro, but the pro ones were all still there a couple of days ago!

Behooven Sat 05-Mar-16 23:51:05

Hypocrite

Mistigri Sun 06-Mar-16 05:59:23

It looks as if all pre July 2015 material has been removed. It's not selective.

I don't know that this suggests any change of position. The removed articles also include many in which he strongly criticised Israel. Does that mean he has changed his point of view on Palestine and is trying to hide it? I think not.

I don't think anyone, on either side of the debate, thinks Corbyn is actively pro-EU. His support of the remain campaign is clearly based on the likelihood that a brexit would further erode labour rights.

Shutthatdoor Sun 06-Mar-16 09:33:13

His support of the remain campaign is clearly based on the likelihood that a brexit would further erode labour rights

His support of in is because it is Labour policy. Still not actually heard him say I think. It is Labour thinks.

Mistigri Sun 06-Mar-16 09:58:22

Well, he's the party leader so he has a say in party policy ;)

FWIW I think he probably does believe that social and labour protections are more at risk out than in (and he is probably right), but I suspect that he will vote to remain without much enthusiasm.

It will be interesting to see how actively Labour supports Cameron on the referendum. In my view it is in Labour's best interests to remain on the sidelines - they got shafted over the Scottish referendum and this time in Corbyn's shoes I would be sorely tempted to tell Cameron that it's his referendum and his problem (although I would personally prefer Labour to campaign strongly for the remain side).

Shutthatdoor Sun 06-Mar-16 10:03:19

Well, he's the party leader so he has a say in party policy ;)

He gets a say. Doesn't mean his 'view' wins. It is very unlikely to with Trident for eg.

shamonts Sun 06-Mar-16 10:05:17

He's completely power crazy. Never understood why people thought he was so principled, if he was he would be leading a more far left opposition party.

Mistigri Sun 06-Mar-16 11:02:29

The idea that Corbyn is "power crazy" is one of the strangest things I've ever read on MN. He's a career backbencher who only stood for leadership because other figures on the left of the party had already taken their turn as the token leftwing candidate. He's a Labour Party MP of many decades, with one of the largest Labour majorities - I'd be curious to hear which party you think he should be leading?

Leaders don't have to agree with all their party's policies. I'm sure he has contributed to Labour policy re the EU referendum, and there's no obvious reason to think that what he says - that he will support remain as the least worst option for social and labour rights - isn't what he genuinely believes. At the same time, no one would mistake him for a committed Europhile - he plainly isn't and never has been.

P1nkP0ppy Sun 06-Mar-16 11:06:06

He's no different than any other politician, they're all hypocrites in my opinion.

Mistigri Sun 06-Mar-16 11:14:57

He clearly is different to other politicians in terms of his willingness to take positions that are not widely supported even within his own parliamentary party (eg on Palestine, on the Middle East, on Trident).

This thread is just sour grapes - the leavers are miffed that he isn't supporting them. Quite why they want Corbyn's support when most of them can't stand the man is beyond me. Aren't you worried that the support of the most reviled (by the media) man in modern British politics would have a negative effect on the leave campaign?

claig Sun 06-Mar-16 11:20:44

'He clearly is different to other politicians in terms of his willingness to take positions that are not widely supported even within his own parliamentary party (eg on Palestine, on the Middle East, on Trident).'

Only on a personal level, but he is not supposed to be acting on a personal level, he is supposed to be leading the Labour Party and shaping its policy. He can't because he is weak. He has accepted defeat and has gone along with the position of the entrenched New Labour class of politicians who agree with Cameron et al.

He is not power crazy, he is too weak to stand up for his beliefs and effect change by shaping policy.

VertigoNun Sun 06-Mar-16 11:21:57

If everything has been deleted then someone either op or their informant mislead us.

Mistigri Sun 06-Mar-16 11:35:09

Vertigonun it clearly says in the Telegraph article linked in the OP that everything prior to July 2015 has been deleted.

It's just crappy journalism on the Telegraph's part (they really really hate Corbyn), and a failure to RTFA on the part of the OP.

Mistigri Sun 06-Mar-16 11:41:53

claig I'm not arguing that he's a strong leader, though I think he is a reasonably principled one.

I find to amusing that in the space of half a dozen posts we've gone from "power crazy" to "weak leader".

The most surprising thing about this thread is that anyone really cares what Corbyn thinks about the referendum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now