Talk

Advanced search

Oscar Pistorius appeal dismissed

(15 Posts)
tictactoad Thu 03-Mar-16 19:30:42

Can't see a thread on this so I thought I'd start one.

Seems this vile man will thankfully be going to jail for a good long time after all.

MaryRobinson Fri 04-Mar-16 00:31:14

Thank fuck, does anyone know whether he will only have to serve one sixth of this sentence behind bars too?

tictactoad Fri 04-Mar-16 10:26:28

I hope not.

The state are apparently looking for the minimum fifteen years. Let's hope he serves every minute.

TracyKNixon Fri 04-Mar-16 13:18:36

I watched the trial last year and couldn't believe the judge let him off so lightly! Does anyone know if the sentencing next month will be televised again?

msrisotto Fri 04-Mar-16 13:19:40

I don't know if it will be televised, but I guess he has already served 1 year of his sentence so that will be deducted. I hope they throw the book at him.

TracyKNixon Fri 04-Mar-16 13:23:01

Yes, he should get punished for murdering Reeva. Too many sporting stars with lots of money think they can get away with anything! It is good to see that this is not always the case!

freshprincess Fri 04-Mar-16 13:29:37

I actually can't believe this is still ongoing! Am I right in thinking he's not currently in jail, but on house arrest?

mary21 Fri 04-Mar-16 16:55:25

I am really glad this has been decided. It all seemed quite ridiculous. Yes he was let out on house arrest after 10 months in jail. Currently living in his uncles mansion. All t,these appeals must have been dreadful for Reeva's parents. It must also be hard for the average South African whoo would never have access to these expensive lawyers. Who would have been the only winners.

tictactoad Fri 04-Mar-16 18:39:25

The ten months he's already served will be deducted. I'm wondering if he's being supervised beyond the current restrictions while on house arrest given he and his legal team made quite heavy weather of his mental state during the trial.

SilverHawk Fri 04-Mar-16 19:26:25

I think that the same judge is re sentencing him, Judge Masipa.
I do wonder how that will turn out.

APlaceOnTheCouch Sat 05-Mar-16 15:01:42

It has seemed like a complicated process but I'm glad he is going to jail. Judge Masipa appeared very capable so I still don't understand how she managed to mis-apply the law in the original case, but I'm very glad the SA legal process has finally led to justice for Reeva.

Inkanta Sat 05-Mar-16 15:42:01

The text message he sent to a journalist asking him "do you have no soul" after he was asked how he felt about returning to jail for a minimum of 15 years, just kind of says everything. He still tries to play the moral high ground - the controlling manipulator he is, but it isn't working for him any more.

He's going down.

VoyageOfDad Sat 05-Mar-16 15:50:04

Good, he deserves that kind of sentence for what he did.

Am also glad the original judge who decided on manslaughter will be the one handing out the sentence.

That poor woman Reeva.

QueenLaBeefah Sat 05-Mar-16 15:56:29

Good.

Should be far longer than 15yrs but, still, a big improvement on 10 months.

APlaceOnTheCouch Sat 05-Mar-16 19:42:01

I think the journalist was out of order tbh. OP had already told him to stop contacting him. The full OP quote in context seemed a fairly reasonable response. I'm no fan of OP. I have always thought he knew he was murdering Reeva but the journalist was being an arse to get a story and I think lots of people would have said much worse in response.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now