Talk

Advanced search

Andrew Picard

(15 Posts)
sambly Sat 27-Feb-16 01:24:16

Hi, just wondering why there is no thread discussing the lenient treatment of Andrew Picard?
Previous threads seem to have been wiped and references to him have been removed online.

AnnaForbes Sat 27-Feb-16 01:45:56

I was wondering too. He should be in prison but it appears the judge priorities picards's rights over those of babies being raped. I hope his life is ruined.

ursuslemonade Sat 27-Feb-16 01:52:42

It's a fucking disgrace. "Custodial sentence would undo all the good the therapy has done" or some similar bollocks. Fuck me. Nothing to do with rich daddy, oh no.

sambly Sat 27-Feb-16 02:58:32

Petition here m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153300874846987&id=703916986

sambly Sat 27-Feb-16 03:03:47

This brushing it under the carpet behaviour especially after the Savile enquiry is particularly concerning. With the little that's leaked out about Cameron's collage days, and that will only be the tip of the iceberg, we need investigation into abuse being normalised at Eton and other such establishments.

prh47bridge Sat 27-Feb-16 09:09:05

As was pointed out on a previous thread about this story he has not been treated leniently compared to others convicted of these offences. You take the standard sentence for this crime from the sentencing manual, apply the standard reductions for age and pleading guilty (also from the sentencing manual) and you end up with the sentence he got. For most first offenders with these offences any custodial sentence will be suspended as there is very strong evidence that they are much less likely to reoffend if they receive appropriate treatment rather than going to prison.

Nothing to do with rich daddy, oh no

No, nothing to do with a rich daddy at all. Defendants from a deprived background faced with these charges receive exactly the same sentence. Search the internet for cases and you will find this is true despite your disbelief.

By all means campaign for a change to the sentencing guidelines so that everyone found guilty of these offences goes to prison. But don't claim this sentence is somehow to do with his background. It really isn't.

By the way, if you do launch such a campaign I won't be supporting you. The reoffending rate for these crimes is relatively low. But the evidence is that if we put all offenders in prison the reoffending rate is likely to go up by around 60%.

Puzzledandpissedoff Sat 27-Feb-16 12:04:56

Am I alone in wondering just how much that suspended sentence cost the family?? hmm

AugustaFinkNottle Sat 27-Feb-16 16:34:21

Puzzled, look at prh47's post. The reality is that he got the sentence he should have got irrespective of how much his family spent on his lawyers.

Edeline Thu 03-Mar-16 10:57:59

Then can we all agree that the reality of sentencing is a disgrace? I don't care if he went to Eton or the sink estate down the road...I want this waste of human flesh to be adequately punished.

prh47bridge Thu 03-Mar-16 20:13:22

No I can't agree to that. If he reoffends he should definitely go to prison. But for a first offence I think the priority should be ensuring that he does not reoffend. He is far more likely to offend again if he goes to prison.

BeetlebumShesAGun Thu 03-Mar-16 20:21:51

I really, really don't believe that his background had nothing to do with his sentencing.

I am baffled that he received this, yet just to pluck some recent examples out of the air, Adam Johnson, Ched Evans, Ian Watkins have all received jail time? Before any one jumps on me, I'm not for a second stating that I believe they should have got off lighter. I just can't understand how this works?

I also think it's disgusting his team are removing all references to his father. Before this he was going by Andrew Boeckman, but now he is using his mother's maiden name.

He should be locked up. He is an animal that can not be trusted, and the fact he underwent "therapy" is a complete joke and an insult to his victims.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 03-Mar-16 20:31:34

He's not an animal, Beetle. Animals don't behave like that. I hate when innocent animals are compared to dirty disgusting twunts.

prh47bridge Thu 03-Mar-16 21:24:18

I really, really don't believe that his background had nothing to do with his sentencing

The others you mention committed more serious crimes.

In 2010 around 65% of those convicted of possessing an indecent photograph of a child and/or taking or distributing such photos were not sent to prison immediately. Do you really believe that all of them came from privileged backgrounds? And I repeat what I said earlier. If you take the standard sentence from the sentencing manual, apply the standard deductions for his age and the fact he pleaded guilty and you end up with the sentence he got.

the fact he underwent "therapy" is a complete joke and an insult to his victims

Really? So you would prefer that he did not undergo therapy which is proven to substantially reduce the likelihood of him reoffending?

SueLawleyandNicholasWitchell Thu 03-Mar-16 21:29:20

He won't reoffend if he remains in prison. Reoffending would be 0%.

SueLawleyandNicholasWitchell Thu 03-Mar-16 21:31:03

I actually don't think paedophiles should be in prison - it's an illness they can't get over. There should be an adults only island that they can live on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now