Talk

Advanced search

Dame Janet Smith [Trigger warning added by MNHQ]

(7 Posts)
wheelofapps Thu 25-Feb-16 11:13:14

I am listening to Dame Janet Smith speaking about the BBC involvement in child sexual abuse.

I cant stop crying.

She speaks with such utter utter comtempt for the victims and a real disdain re the journalists trying to ask searching questions. She is clearly furious to have to spend 14 minutes justifying herself. £6.5M has been spent on this 'inquiry' yet she sneerily dismisses the request for survivors who cannot afford private counselling to be offered it on the NHS: 'I do not have funds to disburse'. No, she doesn't. And nor will anyone else take this responsibility, whilst chuntering on about 'The Good Corporation'.

I am now listening to the Director General. He is making the 'right noises' but it still sounds very hollow to me.

What about the 'victims/survivors' as they are referred to whose lives have been shattered?

What about those who took their own lives (like the Girl who was questioned in relation to Tony Blackburn?)

What about those who were abused during that time period but not by a 'celebrity' and who have no corroborating fellow survivors?

What about those being abused today?
What is most frightening is that some people may think that since 'Yewtree' then victims of CSA will be treated differently or 'better'. I don't think that is the case. The 'improved policies' are there to protect the Corporation, not young people.

If the Law and all this money is used purely to nitpick about 'who cannot be held accountable' then god help us all.

redshoeblueshoe Thu 25-Feb-16 11:22:41

I too am watching this with absolute disgust.

Victim blaming, but clearing the BBC at the same time. Its positively vomit making.

And just to top it off there are paedophiles everywhere

Well that's OK then.

I feel sick.

My thoughts are with the victims.

I wish people would stop sympathising with A7

wheelofapps Thu 25-Feb-16 11:32:22

It is clear that their entire raison d'etre is to exonerate each other.

I wonder if they know or care the effect these public statements will make on survivors of CSA?

It is further abuse, actually. Heaping it upon all survivors. I cant stop shaking.

(this is just my visceral reaction and I do not claim to speak for 'all survivors'.
I will also report my post as it is potentially triggering)

redshoeblueshoe Thu 25-Feb-16 11:41:00

I hope you are OK flowers

wheelofapps Thu 25-Feb-16 11:44:22

thanks, redshoeblueshoe thanks

I will be, but this will knock me for some time.

I just don't think anyone in power 'get's' or cares about the effect that further official victim blaming can have.

redshoeblueshoe Thu 25-Feb-16 11:49:33

Dame Janet seemed more annoyed with Exaro when they got in a second question.
But the Executives at the BBC will all be fine. sad

claig Thu 25-Feb-16 14:32:21

Agree OP. I can't believe the type of great and the good that have positions of responsibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now