Can we have our Big Bronze Cock back?

(7 Posts)
Turbinaria Mon 22-Feb-16 11:18:55

Not really asking about the rights and wrongs but don't students have better things to get riled about?

www.theguardian.com/education/2016/feb/21/cambridge-colleges-bronze-cockerel-must-go-back-to-nigeria-students-say

The big news story from Nigeria last year was Boko Haram kidnapping hundreds of girls for slave/sexual exploitation and as far as I'm aware not all the girls were released - many celebs were on social media raising awareness, politicians involved the full diplomatic works and well, nothing seemed to happen.

Surely they should get their enormous eggheads together on this rather than thinking its a toughie and turning their anger on, well, the big bronze cockerel...

claig Mon 22-Feb-16 11:34:08

Is this about Boris Johnson?

claig Mon 22-Feb-16 11:35:42

Agree with you OP about Boko Haram. About time they were defeated.

Turbinaria Mon 22-Feb-16 11:53:38

claig I like that - we could box up Boris and ship him to Nigeria, then tell the diplomatics there the Cock is on its way, only for them to get bumbling Boris staggering into the sunlight muttering about some Greek tragedy that it reminds him of... I don't think they would want to keep him.

sportinguista Mon 22-Feb-16 19:39:47

They would want to send him back pretty quick on account of him having no discernible purpose. They could turn him on Boko Haram and get him to make their brains implode.

Twinsareplenty Tue 23-Feb-16 18:54:28

Thread title does not deliver :/

januarybrown1998 Wed 24-Feb-16 20:49:33

OP, I absolutely agree.

I have a half-baked theory that today's students, with all their bleating for safe spaces and the right not to feel offended by other people breathing anything, are desperate to create smoke and mirrors non-offences so they won't have to actually face the real horrors. Some of which haven't been perpetrated by white men who'll stand there and take a bollocking.

Why aren't they concerned with the actual reality of current social injustice, which is on a horrific scale, like the example you gave and the constant abuse of human rights taking place right now on our planet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now