Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Vote in Stormont to allow abortion for fatal foetal abnormalities defeated

(9 Posts)
Pangurban1 Thu 11-Feb-16 14:43:25

59 to 40.

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-abortion-reform-mlas-clash-after-amendment-vote-is-defeated-34444332.html

OddSocksHighHeels Thu 11-Feb-16 16:07:55

My internet is being a bit crap and the link won't load properly. Do they give any reason as to why they won't allow it? I can't imagine that reflecting the views of the majority in Northern Ireland.

KittyOShea Thu 11-Feb-16 16:11:23

Very frustrating how backward our politicians are on women's and gay rights.
It's like like living in a medieval theocracy with our largest party here.

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Thu 11-Feb-16 16:20:37

I can see the issues, define a fatal fetal abnormality, read an interesting article recently pointing out the medical difficulties with this. The longest survivor with anencephaly was 2.5yo. Imagine the arguments over which disabilities qualified.

Salami slices don't work. Either allow abortion on demand full stop or don't but labelling some abortions 'good abortions' and some 'bad' abortions helps nobody. Women should have the right to end a pregnancy no matter what and shouldn't need to justify this.

KittyOShea Thu 11-Feb-16 17:03:22

In that situation in N Ireland it would be no abortions disillusioned. The rights to any form of abortion here are severely limited.

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Thu 11-Feb-16 17:11:38

I know but there is no point in this kind of halfway legislation. It just wastes time and would also result in a lot of squabbling over what disabilities counted. T18 for example probably would but the oldest survivor is 40, so should it? If it does what about hypoplatic left heart that has high mortality and surgery is only palliative but with treatment is not fatal in the early years, 80% of the time. What's the definition of fatal? Rather than dabbling like this. They need to face the issue head on and legalise abortion in all circumstances.

KittyOShea Thu 11-Feb-16 17:36:16

I agree wholeheartedly but I don't see that ever happening unfortunately so I would have hoped that something was better than nothing but even that is beyond the pale for the dinosaurs in the DUP and SDLP (shameful for the party who sprang from the Civil Rights movement in particular)

cdtaylornats Sun 14-Feb-16 14:27:28

This is what worries me about the Scottish Government wanting to take the power to decide this. The excuse is "we Wont change it" so why want the power?

KittyandTeal Sun 14-Feb-16 14:34:18

It's a really shame as it was a step in the right direction. There are lots on women suffering unnessecarily in n lreland.

However, disillusioned has a point. Even those conditions with a fatal diagnosis have a spectrum of severity so while most babies with T18 will die within hours, weeks or months some do go on to live for years. Same for T21, we see some really positive models of people with Down's syndrome, however, in some cases the diagnosis is sever enough for it to be fatal within months rather than years.

I understand that in a country where it is so limited the politicians want to start with small steps but it needs to be an all out legalised case that's argued for. Otherwise docs and patients will struggle with grey areas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now