Advanced search

More worry for Talk Talk customers ...

(4 Posts)
LurkingHusband Mon 08-Feb-16 13:03:52

seems engineer details have been accessed

www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/08/scammers_breach_talktalk_engineer_visit_data/

Obviously a worry if some predator was using them sad

nipersvest Mon 08-Feb-16 13:11:29

i'm with talktalk and get phone calls almost on a daily basis claiming to be from them, claiming my router is sending error messages, claiming that if i just give them remote access to my computer and download some software it will be fixed. as with anything like this, best way to deal with it is to engage common sense.

TennesseeMountainPointOfView Mon 08-Feb-16 16:50:49

The trouble is, viper that these customers had been visited the previous day by an engineer from TT, and told to expect a follow-up call. The caller gave them the name of the engineer from the previous day, and details of the problem, and in one case, the reference ID for the visit.
Given all this, it isn't unreasonable for them to have believed that the caller was genuine - they weren't using basic information which could have been obtained in the leak last year, the caller clearly had access to live systems, or at the very least, overnight backups.

I think their only mistake was in expecting TT to call them back within a reasonable time.

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Wed 10-Feb-16 19:53:46

"I think their only mistake was in expecting TT to call them back"

Fixed it for you Tennessee wink

You've reminded me that I need to set aside a day or two of my time ring talktalk. Urgh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now