Talk

Advanced search

Father beats up TA and avoids jail??

(38 Posts)
crystalgall Wed 20-Jan-16 18:16:39

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3408364/Violent-father-beat-primary-school-teaching-assistant-revenge-attack-told-son-fighting-playground-avoids-jail.html

I will admit to having no knowledge of the criminal justice state but I am confused as to how someone admits to violently assaulting another person, the judge says it was a deliberate act of violence and yet there is no jail sentence?

As a teacher this is terrifying. Imagine having a parent beat you up because all you did was tell off their child and then they don't even get punished? Great lesson for the poor child. Already having a violent father, also being violent in the playground and then seeing that violence isn't punished.

Anyone else shocked?

crystalgall Wed 20-Jan-16 18:17:23

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3408364/Violent-father-beat-primary-school-teaching-assistant-revenge-attack-told-son-fighting-playground-avoids-jail.html

SquirmOfEels Wed 20-Jan-16 18:27:28

www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/father-who-knocked-female-teacher-unconscious-in-brutal-revenge-attack-walks-free-a3160906.html

This is dreadful. According to The Standard, he was already banned from the school premises. So he lay in wait outside.

I just don't understand why he did not get a custodial sentence.

BYOSnowman Wed 20-Jan-16 18:30:10

I don't get this either bi don't get how every violent crime doesn't get some sort of custodial sentence - let alone premeditated cases

PitBlackwell Wed 20-Jan-16 18:32:26

I was horrified reading this. I can't believe he didn't get jail time. That poor TA.

AddToBasket Wed 20-Jan-16 18:35:29

I don't know the specifics of this case, or offender.

Prison can make some offenders more violent so the courts will look for ways to keep them out. It can also be out of concern for our taxes. Prison is very expensive so a sentence that can be carried out on the outside is generally preferable if possible.

SquirmOfEels Wed 20-Jan-16 18:38:52

As he's got a distinctive name, I googled it to see if there was any media reporting of previous convictions.

I didn't find any (though there are lots of hits as he's been in the news for something concerning a neighbour).

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 20-Jan-16 18:40:49

I was shocked but the article I read said he had previously undiagnosed paranoid schizophrenia which may explain it. I still think there should be a custodial sentence even if it's a short one.

AddToBasket Wed 20-Jan-16 19:05:09

CountessofFitz - can I ask why you think there should still be a custodial sentence? If he needs hospital/medication or other support, what's to be gained by sending a father to prison if there's a chance it could increase his violence?

abbsismyhero Wed 20-Jan-16 19:13:15

then he should be sent to hospital to serve a sentence like everyone else this bullshit does piss me off to be honest i had my identity swiped and she sobbed to the police she was bipolar and they dropped it they said that because i wasn't out of pocket they wouldn't pursue it ive had to lock up my credit rating i can't get credit anymore because ive a cifas warning on my account but because i copped on the her ordering hundreds of pounds worth of stuff in time to redirect it to me and fortunately return it for free it irritated me no end

VikingVolva Wed 20-Jan-16 19:14:56

The level of deliberation in lying in wait for her is what struck me about this.

Even if the he had been provoked to extreme anger by the actions of the school, there was time for him to have calmed down.

If he is not capable, on medical grounds, of that kind of control, then a custodial jail sentence would be wrong but surely then be would be compelled to be an inpatient?

crystalgall Wed 20-Jan-16 20:17:54

Sorry but I think it's pretty iffy that his previously undiagnosed schizophrenia suddenly comes to light during this.
And even if that was the case I still think he should have had a custodial sentence.

crystalgall Wed 20-Jan-16 20:18:47

Because what he did wasn't in a fit of rage, it was planned.

SquirmOfEels Wed 20-Jan-16 20:21:36

Yes, it's the likelihood of this being deliberately planned that makes me wonder why no custodial sentence.

Also, would there have been more media coverage if it had not been in south London?

originalmavis Wed 20-Jan-16 20:24:35

Exactly - he didn't snap it was premeditated.

How can someone not go through the thought process 'if I beat someone up, they know who I am, they tell police, police come to get me, errrrr'.

Obviously someone not firing on all cylinders or someone who just doesn't give a flying toss. Either way, not someone who should be let off without either a custodial sentence or some serious mental health intervention. I suppose the ss will get involved?

Sleepingbunnies Wed 20-Jan-16 20:35:54

That's utterly appalling.
He 100% should have had a custodial sentence.

Very disappointing.

LineyReborn Wed 20-Jan-16 20:39:58

I genuinely don't understand this. What charge was he actually found guilty of?

originalmavis Wed 20-Jan-16 20:40:55

If he beat up a guy outside the pub it would be gbh, wouldn't it?

Sleepingbunnies Wed 20-Jan-16 20:43:41

He admitted to assault leading to actual bodily harm!

annandale Wed 20-Jan-16 20:50:55

Just because someone is mentally ill shouldn't stop the prosecution of a crime - in fact it's sometimes the quickest way to get treatment for someone, not to mention the victim deserves to have their assault on record even if the suspect isn't fit to stand trial.

PolterGoose Wed 20-Jan-16 20:59:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KyloRenNeedsTherapy Wed 20-Jan-16 21:01:37

It was a premeditated attack - truly appalling that he did not get a custodial sentence.

That poor TA sad.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Wed 20-Jan-16 21:06:48

Don't get me started on our legal system! Dodge taxes or lie in court and you're off to prison. Beat the hell out of someone and slap on the wrist. Madness. The law is an ass.

AveEldon Wed 20-Jan-16 21:11:03

He made the front page of the standard
Any further offences in 12 mths and he'll end up inside

originalmavis Wed 20-Jan-16 21:21:31

But if the knowledge that if he beat this woman senseless the police would arrest him didn't deter him, he really doesn't sound like the most sensible person in the world does he? If he has already threatened other staff, then gone on to commit assault them he is a danger to the public surely?

4 kids... I hope to God they have better role models in their lives than this dad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now