Whatsthematterwithme Wed 06-Jan-16 06:20:18

Waking up to this:

www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35240012

annandale Wed 06-Jan-16 07:02:49

Oh Christ.

giraffesCantDoThat Wed 06-Jan-16 07:24:08

I feel a bit sick

meditrina Wed 06-Jan-16 07:29:49

It's all too easy to forget, in this world of new threats, that the old ones are all still there too.

prh47bridge Wed 06-Jan-16 07:35:32

The big question is whether it is true. South Korea says a small amount of hydrogen may have been added to the device that North Korea tested. Adding a small amount of hydrogen to an atom bomb does not make it a hydrogen bomb. The size of the seismic shock certainly suggests that the device was of similar yield to previous nuclear tests and therefore was not a thermonuclear weapon (or at least, not a successful one).

VulcanWoman Wed 06-Jan-16 07:37:38

Bloody nutters.

PrincePondicherry Wed 06-Jan-16 08:31:56

Ffs.

purplehazed Wed 06-Jan-16 10:49:06

Yes but why on earth would they use it on anyone. That leader of theirs might seem like a nut job but he's not daft enough to not realise that if he did his country would be immediately annihilated.

BungoWomble Wed 06-Jan-16 12:50:03

It would be a lot easier to criticise other countries for having nuclear if we didn't have them ourselves. But I'm feeling increasingly unsafe. Anyone else feel like the world is just waiting for the edge of Damocles' sword?

StealthPolarBear Wed 06-Jan-16 12:51:40

Yes bungo. I feel on edge at the moment. I heard this this morning on the news and was just depressed

moonstruckl8 Wed 06-Jan-16 17:13:57

when the price of oil starts to rise i think thats when we should be scared, thats the main barometer of a global crisis

ChatShitGetBanged Wed 06-Jan-16 17:32:44

my dc have been asking me about this, they are 6 and 9 not sure quite what to say to re assure them tbh as a)I don't really understand it all and b) I am scared too sad

purplehazed Wed 06-Jan-16 17:41:51

Haven't they be testing nuclear weapons for years. They're always posturing one way or another. Is this any different?

prh47bridge Wed 06-Jan-16 23:49:03

Is this any different?

If North Korea's claim is true this would be a significant step in that they would have moved on from nuclear weapons to thermonuclear devices which are much more powerful. However the evidence available suggests that the claim is not true.

TenTinyTadpoles Thu 07-Jan-16 07:10:08

Oh shit was my first response.

meditrina Thu 07-Jan-16 07:14:32

It's not hugely different. It's the same nuclear threat, but possibly a somewhat larger detonation than before.

May well not be the breakthrough that N Korea is claiming, but still a sign of a productive nuclear programme.

prh47bridge Thu 07-Jan-16 08:22:52

possibly a somewhat larger detonation than before

The seismic event was of similar size to that seen in North Korea's 2013 test of a nuclear device, hence the view that their claim is untrue. If they had indeed tested a thermonuclear device successfully there should have been a much larger seismic event. To quote one expert, "Kim Jong-un is either lying, saying they did a hydrogen test when they didn't, they just used a little bit more efficient fission weapon – or the hydrogen part of the test really didn't work very well or the fission part didn't work very well".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now