Talk

Advanced search

Mass sexual assaults in Cologne on New Years Eve

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Cellardoor1 Mon 04-Jan-16 22:20:46

I've just read this and I'm shocked that such a thing could happen. A group of around 1,000 men gathered and assaulted at least 60 women and girls and also pickpocketed people. Apparently the news wasn't released until now out of fears it could stir up tension as the men appeared to be of Arab/North African appearance, possibly refugees.

abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/cologne-police-chief-condemns-sex-assaults-years-eve-36083833

OP’s posts: |
GarlicCake Tue 05-Jan-16 11:48:34

It'll be really hard for the authorities to decide what to do about carnival sad Calling it off is an admission of defeat. Banning people of 'middle eastern appearance' is apartheid. If women avoid it, again the bad guys have won.

I did think this would happen and believed the stories - but never imagined anything on such an horrific scale.

Of course we shouldn't be afraid to comment: it is not racist to acknowledge the depth & violence of misogyny in formally misogynistic cultures.

CFSKate Tue 05-Jan-16 11:49:52

Is the place likely to have CCTV?

VegetablEsoup Tue 05-Jan-16 11:54:11

cfs not much in the square/route itself. just in/near the entrances of the train stations.
germans are not very keen on surveilance

AndreaJ1976 Tue 05-Jan-16 11:59:03

This news is dreadful, what is happening to our world. We seem to be going backwards and society is controlled by the spin of the media and dishonest officials. Trying to explain this downward social spiral to our children is so difficult. What is to be done?

BitOutOfPractice Tue 05-Jan-16 12:06:42

How utterly horrifying

I cannot beleiev this hasn't been more widely reported. Presumably becuse the victims are all women

CFSKate Tue 05-Jan-16 12:10:30

The BBC article has been extended now.

GarlicCake Tue 05-Jan-16 12:13:30

this hasn't been more widely reported. Presumably because the victims are all women

I wish I didn't agree with your analysis sad One report says the police 'ridiculed' a victim for not having taken safety measures. WTF?

Moreshabbythanchic Tue 05-Jan-16 12:15:33

Possibly not reported due to the ethnicity of the attackers and the fear of being viewed as racist.

BungoWomble Tue 05-Jan-16 12:18:45

Yes, women are always the last group to be considered. The rights of men of colour are more important.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 05-Jan-16 12:22:04

Good god, I feel sick shock

Where the fuck were the police?

PaulDirac Tue 05-Jan-16 12:26:39

Scary stuff sad

HanSolo Tue 05-Jan-16 12:29:32

CCTV and prosecutions don't help people that have been assaulted! A mass gathering of drunken men would have been kettled or broken up in UK, we have specific laws to prevent people gathering in this way, I'm guessing Germany don't (OK I'm not saying I approve of those UK laws, but this is an occasion where they would be put to beneficial use).

JellyTotCat Tue 05-Jan-16 12:30:05

I wonder if the attackers were taking advantage of the fact that the police would have been on high alert for terrorist attacks and might have been concentrating on this to the detriment of spotting other types of crime?

VegetablEsoup Tue 05-Jan-16 12:40:15

it seems quite sophisticated to me.
large group of men splitting up into smaller (10-15) groups who then target one or a small group of women.
just the scale makes me think of a flash-mob type szenario.

makes me angry, this sort of shit.

MrWriter Tue 05-Jan-16 12:42:04

This is bloody ridiculous and something really needs to be done.

Its frightening that the "mob mentality" of 1000 men was to assault women, that's ridiculous.

Bluebell66 Tue 05-Jan-16 12:49:25

Moreshabbythanchic - well said, more than likely. It's scandalous that things like this could be kept quiet. When are all the liberal "do gooders" going to wake up and see what's happening to our countries? Our whole way of life is under threat.

GraceKellysLeftArm Tue 05-Jan-16 12:50:19

I used to hang out quite a bit in Cologne, last time I went there I felt really quite intimidated at the station. There has been a definite shift in demographic and atmosphere. Make of that what you will.

BungoWomble Tue 05-Jan-16 12:50:27

Yes. I think its worth stressing those numbers in a way though. This is nothing to do with any perceived vulnerability of women. With those numbers there is nothing any woman in the vicinity could have done to avoid them. They could just as easily have targeted men, or children.

GarlicCake Tue 05-Jan-16 12:54:43

I'm a "liberal do-gooder", Bluebell. I think criminals who assault people should be punished.

If there's an underlying cultural misapprehension to the assault, I think that should be addressed.

I don't see our way(s) of life as so fragile that we are unable to protect them.

giraffesCantDoThat Tue 05-Jan-16 12:54:45

Hoe awful

giraffesCantDoThat Tue 05-Jan-16 12:54:56

How!

BungoWomble Tue 05-Jan-16 12:55:10

What I'm trying to say there clumsily is that we really don't want a civil society that is in any way based on the old 'might is right' rule.

noeffingidea Tue 05-Jan-16 12:57:59

If the authorities don't stamp down on this I think it will lead to violence in the streets.
Mrwriter it's not ridiculous to them. Look at Egypt. Women are routinely sexually assaulted, even raped in crowd situations, and that is women who are covered.

toffeeboffin Tue 05-Jan-16 12:59:49

I agree with bluebell.

These men have zero, absolutely zero respect for women.

In 50 year's time, we will ask ourselves 'What have you we done?'.

It's all going very wrong, very quickly.

Oh, but we wouldn't want to be racist now, would we?

Totally horrifying.

noeffingidea Tue 05-Jan-16 13:00:17

bungo the only men that would have been targeted would have been openly gay men , and possibly Jewish men. Stop with the denial.

This thread is not accepting new messages.