Talk

Advanced search

Russia fires warning shots at Turkish fishing boat.

(4 Posts)
purplehazed Sun 13-Dec-15 22:49:31

I'm a bit scared of where all this is leading. Turkey seems hellbent on antagonising Russia, probably because they know they've got nato behind them. I wish it would calm down.

VocationalGoat Mon 14-Dec-15 13:25:47

Radical Islamification is a serious threat to secular Turkey and this is something that concerns me the most. I really think Turkey is teetering on the brink of collapse into extremism. I truly believe Russia's support for Assad (don't shoot me down just yet) is a 'safer' option than not supporting the Assad regime. A vacuum is being created, anarchy in Syria prevails, and in comes extremism... a regime upon which we will wage an extensive, exhausting war, one 'we' will never win but continue to fight for God knows how long. It's all fine and large removing despots out of the Middle East but look at the mess it's creating.

Russian-Turkish antagonsim is a centuries old issue which I won't bore you with here because I am no expert or historian. But it is interesting to read about. Google it for insight.

IPityThePontipines Wed 16-Dec-15 00:44:14

"I truly believe Russia's support for Assad (don't shoot me down just yet) is a 'safer' option than not supporting the Assad regime".

Then not only are you immoral (because you're supporting a regime engaged in mass slaughter), but you are also ignorant as to what is actually happening in Syria.

Here's a handy link:
www.washingtonpost.com/world/islamic-state-has-killed-many-syrians-but-assads-forces-have-killed-even-more/2015/09/05/b8150d0c-4d85-11e5-80c2-106ea7fb80d4_story.html

Assad is killing more civilians, Assad is creating more refugees. Yet you think he should stay?

PigletJohn Wed 16-Dec-15 13:10:03

Warning shots at a fishing boat?

The English Channel is incredibly busy, with ships and boats of all sizes churning up and down, and ferries crossing between them.

No warning shots fired today. None yesterday. I bet none tomorrow.

No Russian warships either.

Is it a coincidence?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now