Talk

Advanced search

Pensioner convicted of sending offensive letter to Islamic school

(42 Posts)
RickRoll Wed 09-Dec-15 12:36:57

She sent this Chick Tract

www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1058/1058_01.asp

along with a letter, essentially saying that Islam is Satanic, to the headteacher of Manchester Islamic High school for Girls.
mihsg.org.uk/

She has been convicted of sending an offensive communication.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3352454/Devout-Christian-great-grandmother-sent-letter-headmistress-Islamic-girls-school-claiming-Muslims-worship-Satan-ordered-community-service.html

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/pensioner-denies-letter-manchester-islamic-9802710

BertrandRussell Wed 09-Dec-15 12:45:13

And?

RickRoll Wed 09-Dec-15 12:49:36

And what? It's a news story. This is 'in the news'. Are you confused?

BertrandRussell Wed 09-Dec-15 12:52:20

Just wondering what sort of comment you were expecting that's all.

RickRoll Wed 09-Dec-15 12:56:29

Something other than passive-aggressive sniping, I suppose.

Since you're using the name of Bertrand Russell, you could go with

'it is necessary that people should learn to endure having their sentiments outraged.'

BertrandRussell Wed 09-Dec-15 12:59:40

Oh, right. So it's those nasty Muslims taking the nice Christian little old lady to court- she only sent them some literature and a letter after all. Thought it might be.

Please note that the ruling was made according to English law. Which Muslims have just as much right to have recourse to as anyone else.

Brokenbiscuit Wed 09-Dec-15 13:03:16

I'm glad she was convicted.

RickRoll Wed 09-Dec-15 13:04:34

You asked what kind of comment people could possibly make, and I gave you one from YOUR pseudonym, i.e. a quote from Bertrand Russell.

Now you are putting words into my mouth.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 09-Dec-15 13:09:44

I think it customary to start a discussion / ask for opinion when posting OP, hence the confusionsmile

BertrandRussell Wed 09-Dec-15 13:12:53

So why not say what you think......

OurBlanche Wed 09-Dec-15 13:16:55

Well, I think that she is an absolute angel and should be held up as a paragon of virtue... we need strong saviours like her.

Is that better?

Given that you have made no comment, though I suppose we should be glad you didn't include that goady old chestnut Discuss what exactly is it you want form us?

Congratulations for being able to find a story, to make a clickable link... what?

DonkeyOaty Wed 09-Dec-15 13:19:39

Arf at handing OP her arse on a plate. They do have a point, of course.

So what are your thoughts OP?

Me, I am content that due process has been effected.

RickRoll Wed 09-Dec-15 13:28:26

We don't really have due process. The decision to prosecute is rather capricious. Clearly not every sender of a nasty letter gets prosecuted, even if they are reported to the police.

In this case the old lady has shown some discretion in posting these letters to organisations, rather than to individuals. I would find a personal letter more offensive/wounding than one addressed to my company/organisation.

BertrandRussell Wed 09-Dec-15 13:29:35

So whT do you think about the case you are reporting?

OurBlanche Wed 09-Dec-15 13:37:43

Well, as she has not been found guilty, the trial has not happened yet, you are making some assumptions there. Not knowing the content of the letter makes you assertion that she has shown some restraint a nonsense.

The case has been forwarded for trial... so due process is happening here. Or are you just irate because it is a white granny who is being prosecuted and not an Asian man?

It would also be pertinent that she is a recent convert, God spoke to her and told her what she should do... so she is almost certain to have been, erm, 'extremely certain' in her condemnation of those Satan worshipping Muslims!

OurBlanche Wed 09-Dec-15 13:44:07

Oh, I sit corrected. Guilty of sending 50 letters to various schools and organisations, says she will continue to do so, God tells her it is her duty = 12 months community order and £500 costs.

So....

RickRoll Wed 09-Dec-15 13:44:09

No, she has been found guilty, there are two links there, one is the original report from the MEN in August, and now (December) she has been convicted, and that report is in the Daily Mail link.

DonkeyOaty Wed 09-Dec-15 13:47:33

Oh beg pardon for not understanding that a conviction isn't due process. Awfully sorry about that. Tut Tut.

BertrandRussell Wed 09-Dec-15 13:51:49

What do you think, OP?

DonkeyOaty Wed 09-Dec-15 13:56:08

Is one allowed to infer from a "no comment" perchance?

RickRoll Wed 09-Dec-15 14:02:24

What do you think the letter-writer's intent was in sending the letter?

DonkeyOaty Wed 09-Dec-15 14:03:52

I don't know. I'm not them.

BertrandRussell Wed 09-Dec-15 14:04:32

Sorry. Not playing this game. It's tedious. Say what you think.

DonkeyOaty Wed 09-Dec-15 14:06:54

<anyone else really REALLY fighting the urge to go all Paxman here>

RickRoll Wed 09-Dec-15 14:08:16

I'm not going to give you a trite opinion - I'm asking what you think the letter writer's intent was in writing the letter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now