Talk

Advanced search

How the hell can Saudi Arabia be Chair of the UN Human Rights Council when it decides to stone a woman to death for adultery

(76 Posts)
Egosumquisum Sat 28-Nov-15 11:49:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bilbodog Sat 28-Nov-15 12:49:01

Seems appalling to me - I expect a lot of people will come on and agree. Many reasons why we kow tow to this regime ............

claig Sat 28-Nov-15 14:26:07

Nothing surprises me any more, George Orwell couldn't have made it up.

Jon Snow asked Cameron the same question.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=khGa49rM6iM

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 28-Nov-15 14:26:51

Agree OP.

PreAdvent13610 Sat 28-Nov-15 14:30:56

Maybe they have the pig video? hmm

Egosumquisum Sat 28-Nov-15 14:33:57

tribpot Sat 28-Nov-15 14:33:59

Agreed. Whether or not you think that diplomatically the UK should cozy up to Saudi Arabia, supporting their bid to be on the UN Human Rights Council is farcical, insulting and corrupt.

Goes along with UKIP MEPs being on the Gender Equality Council.

claig Sat 28-Nov-15 14:37:18

'Cameron clearly did not answer the question and was very keen to avoid answering it'

I have never ever seen Cameron not be able to answer a question. Most accomplished politicians like him can talk their way out of a paper bag, especialy PPEs from Oxford. But the way he was stumped by a simple question, speaks volumes.

Egosumquisum Sat 28-Nov-15 14:37:19

Egosumquisum Sat 28-Nov-15 14:40:09

notmynameohno Sat 28-Nov-15 14:40:58

Going to hell in a handcart.

PreAdvent13610 Sat 28-Nov-15 14:41:35

75% of our arms sales in the early nineties.

Good grief Cameron wiggled badly with that question.

Egosumquisum Sat 28-Nov-15 17:18:37

squidzin Sat 28-Nov-15 22:06:12

This whole decision has the pungent stench of corruption. Who was paid off? How much and why? Another example of money over morals.

SuburbanCrofter Tue 01-Dec-15 15:34:49

Pedant's corner:

UNHCR is the UN High Commission on Refugees. Saudi Arabia are to be the Chair of the HRC (Human Rights Council, part of the OHCHR)

And yes, it's a f*cking travesty.

batshitlady Tue 01-Dec-15 17:30:28

As someone said, you couldn't make it up. They're the most appallingly repressive, violent, corrupt, misogynist, human-rights- abusing monsters imaginable. They also support ISIS and export Wahhabism, fuelling attacks on Western and Middle Eastern cities. Oh and they're also currently bombing Yemen with our weapons.

Yet Assad is soooooo much more intolerable apparently..

Shakshuka Tue 01-Dec-15 20:51:53

But that's the problem with the UN. Any country can head or chair any UN body or commission. You can't just restrict it to democracies who respect human rights (and let's face it: there aren't many countries whose hands are completely clean).

If anything, this might place Saudi Arabia more in the spotlight and create more pressure to change.

MyBeloved Tue 01-Dec-15 23:10:28

Because the world makes no sense and the UN are a useless bunch of twits.

BigChocFrenzy Wed 02-Dec-15 08:02:35

Cos they're rich as fuck.
If you are super-rich you can get away with crimes that the poor get hammered for

IrenetheQuaint Wed 02-Dec-15 08:12:38

YANBU. It's a disgrace.

Bakeoffcake Wed 02-Dec-15 08:15:58

Disgraceful but doesn't surprise me.

Money talks and it's been ever thus.

LaContessaDiPlump Wed 02-Dec-15 08:44:53

Lone voice in the wilderness here:

As the chair of the UNHRC, surely there will be far more public and vocal scrutiny on Saudi Arabia's internal actions. Therefore we can but hope that they will more or less be embarrassed into some gentle reforms.

As someone who lived there (and in the ME) for a long time though, I would suggest that activists have a difficult job ahead of them considering the Arab mindset. Querying decisions and possibly even mocking them (with memes, internet action etc) may have adverse effects, because mockery is disrespect and disrespect is unthinkable and must be sternly uprooted and punished. Therefore a softly-softly, gentle (yet respectful) type of pressure is needed if we ever want to see any change in Saudi.

I do agree that Saudi wouldn't be in this position if we weren't snuggled in with them quite so tightly though.

MephistophelesApprentice Wed 02-Dec-15 08:50:04

If there was ever a place that demanded a resurgence of the European traditions of conquest, it's Saudi Arabia. ISIS has just made those demands louder.

MephistophelesApprentice Wed 02-Dec-15 08:50:05

If there was ever a place that demanded a resurgence of the European traditions of conquest, it's Saudi Arabia. ISIS has just made those demands louder.

fourmummy Wed 02-Dec-15 09:08:59

Therefore a softly-softly, gentle (yet respectful) type of pressure is needed if we ever want to see any change in Saudi. Even this would be something, instead of this:

theintercept.com/2015/12/01/inside-saudi-charm-campaign/

As has been pointed out many times, we are all already living with de facto ISIS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now