Talk

Advanced search

France 'at war' declares Hollande

(9 Posts)
Chillyegg Mon 16-Nov-15 15:57:20

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34836439
I'm not sure how I feel about this other than scared, do you think this is the start of another war in the middle east? Hollande wants to make French changes to the french constitution do you think we're a stone throws away from similar actions by Cameron?

Bigbiscuits Mon 16-Nov-15 16:02:22

I don't know enough about the French constitution to know what the impact of extending the state of emergency is.

But certainly, after 2 attacks in one year, the people of France will want assurances that something I being done to prevent a third.

CormoranStrike Mon 16-Nov-15 16:10:55

I feel afraid that this may grow into something much bigger and longer lasting. Though he has declared war on an ideology, not a country, so I am not sure how that might work.

Chillyegg Mon 16-Nov-15 16:17:44

Well he's stated that if the country becomes a state of siege then heel strip all civilian powers and transfer them to the military .
Anyone who participates in an act of terror or hate speech will be stripped of their french citizenship. I feel this is one big slippery slope and as muslim fills me with dread.

CormoranStrike Mon 16-Nov-15 16:24:24

Yes, it must be very uncomfortable to be a Muslim right now, which is so unfair.

We know this is the work of extremists, not of one religion as a whole.

DontHaveAUsername Tue 17-Nov-15 12:55:29

Its impossible to give assurances that things can be done to prevent a third. Terrorism is the modern equivalent of the bomber always getting through. We need to be lucky every time and they only need to be lucky once, on an infinite timescale they WILL manage to get through at some point.

Maybe we could make ourselves safer by not bombing these countries and thus making ourselves targets in the first place. Crazy idea, peace.

GhostofFrankGrimes Tue 17-Nov-15 18:29:03

Though he has declared war on an ideology, not a country, so I am not sure how that might work.

It won't. Bombing needles in haystacks.

EmGee Wed 18-Nov-15 20:24:56

I fear we are just playing into ISIS' hands.... sad

But I agree it can't be easy to be Hollande at the moment. And ISIS have already said they will strike the heart of Paris again. So people want reassurance that something will be done.

goddessofsmallthings Thu 19-Nov-15 19:41:49

This article is food for thought www.herald.co.zw/algeria-the-lost-context-of-the-paris-attacks.

I've also wondered why the IS targets bombed by France in apparent retaliation for the second series of atrocities committed in Paris this year weren't flattened months ago?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now