Talk

Advanced search

Where do you READ news online?

(26 Posts)
parrotonmyshoulder Sat 14-Nov-15 20:09:34

I don't want to watch videos, read 'live feeds' or 'comments' from the general public. I want to read news.

Is this possible online anymore? BBC site is terrible now - no written content at all - and The Guardian is not much better.

eurochick Sat 14-Nov-15 20:21:29

I hate the new bbc site too. I use the new Apple news app mostly.

efeslight Mon 16-Nov-15 13:28:38

I have also been searching for a more in depth news site, the telegraph is sometimes good, the bbc is so short, and simple...would love some recommendations too.

Greengagesandham Mon 16-Nov-15 13:47:38

Telegraph seem to get the latest new fairly fast, I'll often see something on there and and it won't be on other sites.

Huffington Post and New York Times have interesting articles. Guardian for social stuff, although I often look for a second opinion on the same story before I get too angry.

BBC is shite IMO, I sometimes have a look for local news but not often.

I have a look at the Mail but AVOID looking at the 'news' section, I just occasionally like a look at the celeb pictures to see what people are wearing.

EnaSharplesHairnet Mon 16-Nov-15 13:54:44

Reuters are to the point.

EnaSharplesHairnet Mon 16-Nov-15 13:55:42

I really noticed how I fled from the BBC site this weekend: itis as you describe OP.

DolphinsPlayground Mon 16-Nov-15 14:01:32

Google news app.

hackmum Mon 16-Nov-15 18:41:17

What do you mean by "The Guardian's not much better"? Do you mean it's all video content, or do you mean the quality of the news reporting isn't very good?

Seems to me the Guardian is mostly fine. Here, for example, are its UK news stories - there are tons of them today:

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/all

claig Mon 16-Nov-15 19:53:14

The first (second and third) place I go to is Mail Online. I find it has got what I am looking for.

theunfairersex Tue 17-Nov-15 08:37:34

Would that be because it's owner is a non domiciled tax avoider?

You do know that Jonathan Harmsworth, Daily Mail proprietor and heir as 4th Viscount Rothermere uses his non-domicile tax status handed down to him from his father, to channel hundreds of thousands of pounds of dividends through a trust registered in Bermuda to avoid paying tax in the UK?

Don't you?

And that's a bit rich when the Daily Mail bang on about tax avoidance and scroungers isn't it?

Would the good people of middle England think that is fair and the British Way?

No?

Though not!

claig Tue 17-Nov-15 08:42:01

'Would the good people of middle England think that is fair and the British Way?'

I don't think the good peope of Middle England have a bad word to say about the Daily Mail.

Bloodybridget Wed 18-Nov-15 02:28:56

Agree with PPs about BBC news site being rubbish now, what the hell's happened to it?

CantSee4Looking Wed 18-Nov-15 03:46:55

it was improved.

I look at foreign newspapers tbh. I skip the english papers.

CantSee4Looking Wed 18-Nov-15 03:47:44

Sorry that should read:

It was improved thlhmm

MargoReadbetter Wed 18-Nov-15 04:08:37

It's the Guardian for me but more for familiarity. The Torygraph is increasingly becoming the Mail. The Mail is increasingly becoming gutter press, if that's at all possible. Trolling as journalism.

BoxofSnails Wed 18-Nov-15 04:16:21

Guardian App here too - 'breaking news' can be a bit full of comments/ videos but I find the articles are generally thorough and the opinion useful (given up reading the comments tho).

DeepBlueLake Wed 18-Nov-15 07:10:12

BBC, Daily Mail, Huffington Post and my local rag.

I also look at stuff.co.nz.

FetaComplete Wed 18-Nov-15 07:47:07

Twitter. That way I get I balanced mix of sources from different countries. There are often links to full articles.

ZaraW Sat 21-Nov-15 13:24:19

The Independent and Guardian. I refuse to read The Daily Mail.

wonkylegs Sat 21-Nov-15 13:45:49

The independent, the guardian, huffington post, local newspapers, channel 4
Occasionally the Torygraph and Times but with a huge pinch of salt
The BBC has got so rubbish recently - I suspect they are worried about charter renewal so they are exceedingly meh and never question anything the government says.

Arfarfanarf Sat 21-Nov-15 13:51:58

I read a variety. daily nation, standard digital, al jazeera, rt, huff post, metro, sky, reuters, etc

DoctorTwo Tue 24-Nov-15 09:41:08

I read Truthdig, ZeroHedge, The Intercept, Aljazeera and RT.

Branleuse Tue 24-Nov-15 09:47:12

www.aljazeera.com/

Al jazeera usually, or the independent

AppleYumYum Thu 26-Nov-15 07:40:16

The Independent app is really good. I find the BBC full of crap too, dumbed down. I only go there for breaking news.

Branleuse Thu 26-Nov-15 09:48:19

I used to really like bbc news but I find it really tabloid-esque these days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now