Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

IAAF suspends Russia

(10 Posts)
JumpandScore Sat 14-Nov-15 09:23:22

BBC report

I didn't think they would, expected them to chicken out. Russia can't be the only ones though, can they?

Maryz Sat 14-Nov-15 09:41:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JumpandScore Sat 14-Nov-15 09:46:11

I'm sure it's rife in US, although more likely to be private, individual coaches than state sponsored, although state authorities will have been turning a blind eye.

Agree, I doubt all British athletes are clean too. It's notable that some of the big campaigners who've always asserted they aren't cheats have gone quiet lately, but that could be because they can't win either way perhaps?

Maryz Sat 14-Nov-15 09:54:29

JumpandScore Sat 14-Nov-15 10:05:26

That's what the passports were supposed to do Maryz. Trouble is "drugs" isn't the way the cheating is done these days.

Yes agree re Lance Armstrong too and there are a few very vocal anti doping athletes in UK. They could be completely genuine but just because they campaign against doesn't automatically mean they're clean. I can think of at least one who's data is a little suspect who has gone very quiet lately.

DriverSurpriseMe Sat 14-Nov-15 10:07:46

I would be amazed if China wasn't also involved in State-approved cheating of some description.

JumpandScore Sat 14-Nov-15 10:12:42

Yes, me too Driver. That's an obvious one I guess, but I suspect it's wide spread among athletes from less obvious countries too.

SoupDragon Sat 14-Nov-15 10:13:19

I am also surprised that they went through with it. I really didn't think they'd have the guts to do it.

I am also surprised that China isn't in trouble and perhaps some of the other former USSR countries too.

I can't imagine US/UK having the same level of widespread drug use but I wouldn't be surprised if individual athletes of many countries aren't clean.

Maryz Sat 14-Nov-15 11:03:46

IPityThePontipines Sat 14-Nov-15 20:54:03

Russia should be banned from Rio. The Olympics are less than a year away. If they make some token gesture to be allowed to go, it sends the wrong message completely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now