Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are there any VW owners on here? Need reassurance

(18 Posts)
juneau Wed 04-Nov-15 17:09:16

We were all set to buy a petrol VW Golf estate and now this latest scandal has made us hit the pause button for the second time because DH is worried that the company will go under. So if you have a VW how do you feel about all this and has your faith in the brand been affected?

I really, really liked the VW Golf Estate that I test drove. I liked it better than the Mercedes C200 and the Audi A4. I'm going to look at the BMW 3 Series Touring next week, but I know it won't have the boot size I want. I so desperately want to have faith in VW and be able to buy the car that ticks all the boxes ... except I'm now so worried that the brand is now tainted. Can anyone give me some reassurance?

RenterNomad Wed 04-Nov-15 18:46:40

We have a Passat which is affected by the "faking" issue. I don't know how much less efficient it will become after its "fix", but it (currently) gets extremely good mileage (e.g. SE London to Devon, driving about then return, on one tank) so am hoping that won't be eroded too much!

QforCucumber Wed 04-Nov-15 18:49:57

We have a petrol golf gti, not affected but not worried either.
Will upgrading to the amarock next year, always had audi or vw. Won't be changing.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Wed 04-Nov-15 18:51:24

It won't go under, but you might like the BMW better anyway. I used to have one and I really liked it, much better than the A4 that I bought after it. Does it definitely not have as much boot space? I would have thought it would be at least as big as a Golf.

juneau Wed 04-Nov-15 18:57:48

Okay, well those are both reassuring! I have a theory that if people who have and love VWs aren't swayed then the brand will survive and recover in time (probably when a few more heads have rolled at HQ). Its good to hear about the fuel consumption too.

Anyone else?

juneau Wed 04-Nov-15 18:59:44

Re: boot space. The Audi has a tiny boot compared to my (current) Skoda Octavia and I suspect the BMW will be comparable with that because, like the A4, its shorter. The Golf is the only car I've looked at with a comparable boot, but maybe we don't need such a big boot now our kids are a bit bigger?

QforCucumber Wed 04-Nov-15 19:03:34

Fil has a 3 series, granted not the estate, and can't use it where he lives in winter due to the rear wheel drive haha - lives in the sticks.
We had a4 prior to the gti, again the saloon not the estate and did find the boot space terrible.

BikeRunSki Wed 04-Nov-15 19:06:03

I have a diesel Golf Estate and I love it. It is reassuringly clunky, drives well, appears to have good fuel efficiency (based on how my own mpg calcs) and is just the right size for a family of 4, without being too big. Feels like a Golf hatch to drive - dh's Octavia is too big for comfort for me.

I am very fortunate that mine is a company car, so I do not need to be too concerned about devaluation. Interestingly though, our lease car list was updated a couple of weeks ago, and VWs are still there. Clearly our leasing company has faith in VW!

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 04-Nov-15 19:08:17

We've been talking about this. Looked at a BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and test driving Jaguar XE soon. We have a Golf right now and I mentioned VW to DH. In your favour, I have a feeling that VW might give you a very good deal ATM.

RenterNomad Wed 04-Nov-15 19:11:20

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/engineering/11974202/Volkswagen-diesel-gate-scandal-latest-updates.html

Also petrol VWs! shock I hate to say it, but it does sound as though VW deserves the punishment of cancelled orders. No-one knows yet what will result from the "fix", but it seems widespread, and it also negates one of the vaunted values of a VW: holding value for resale. Pffft. hmm

Re comments on boot space: Škoda Octavia is massive inside, which makes it an excellent airport minicab! However, it's worth highlighting that Škoda is also VW group!

BikeRunSki Wed 04-Nov-15 19:11:50

Re: Boot space - it is awesome! Comparable to dh's Octavia. We've been camping in it. I carry a lot of stuff for work - always have a 100L kit bag and wellies in there, and a pushchair until recently. Still loads of space. Had a highchair in there for a while too- still loads of room!

juneau Wed 04-Nov-15 19:43:43

Re: the BMW I'd be going for the 4WD model. Because of that I'm limited to the 3 series as the 5 series doesn't come in 4WD. And yes, I know Skoda and Audi are part of the VW group (also SEAT and Porsche), so that's why I'm looking at the BMW. I'm pissed off with VW though - what idiots! They had a great, respected and widely loved brand and they've royally fucked it up.

claig Wed 04-Nov-15 19:57:50

juneau, I very much doubt that Volkswagen are in a unique position where emissions are concerned. It has come out about them.

hollyisalovelyname Wed 04-Nov-15 20:06:38

Isn't Skoda built by VW?
I know Audi Porshe and Seat are.

GiddyOnZackHunt Wed 04-Nov-15 22:24:08

DH is somewhat in the know about these things, professionally. He drives a VW and would certainly buy one now. Indeed now would be a great time to squeeze a dealer smile
We're about to sort MIL out with a replacement VW for her old one...

GiddyOnZackHunt Wed 04-Nov-15 22:26:53

holly yes, the Volkswagen Audi group own Skoda.

RockNRollNerd Thu 05-Nov-15 13:37:12

I've driven Audis for years, my current one is affected by the Diesel emissions and I strongly suspect DHs VW will be hit by yesterday's news on CO2. Assuming that they don't start costing us a fortune to run we will probably stick with them as the cars themsevles are great.

Given the current sales figures news I suspect you can get yourself a cracking deal one one if you ask. I'd be very tempted to do that personally - if you can get a good enough deal then that will probably offset any future costs of eg increased car tax or mileage?

Want2bSupermum Wed 11-Nov-15 23:20:35

It's not just VW who have been doing this. The U.S. office here have hinted that there is evidence of wrongdoing at other car manufacturers. I spoke with an industry expert at work (I work at a big4 and our advisory group does quite a bit of work with car manufacturers) about it as we are in the process of buying cars for family in Denmark. He said ford and GM are being closely looked at and he thinks they are all at it because the tax structure on emissions makes it so worthwhile for the companies to fiddle. He had done his own research on Honda and Toyota and said for sure there is a gap. He said the only car to get if you want true emissions is a tesla. He said they had been very closely regulated and he trusts their quality more than anyone else right now.

However, what he did say was that VW have a fab car and with the decline in resale price, if buying from a dealer, you should look for at least 15% off the first price they give you. We have gone with that and are looking at buying 2 VW golfs in Denmark. They are excellent cars and will last. They just don't qualify for the lower tax bands. We have gone to two dealers and the starting price they gave us is low to start with and I know we can get it lower, especially if we can buy the cars second hand rather than new. Apparently lots of people are looking to trade in because they don't want to pay the higher taxes and insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now