Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oscar pistorious, court case today

(6 Posts)
Mummylin Tue 03-Nov-15 12:08:42

To see if there will be a retrial. I have to admit I forgot but have just watched a recording of today's events. Did anyone see the live event ? I know that during the original trial there were some very interesting posters discussing it.

prh47bridge Tue 03-Nov-15 18:59:05

No, the appeal isn't to see if there will be a retrial. The prosecution is seeking to have the verdict changed from culpable homicide to murder. The hearing was purely about whether the trial judge interpreted the law correctly. If Pistorius wins nothing will change. If he loses he may go back to prison.

Mummylin Tue 03-Nov-15 21:25:56

Yes you are absolutely correct. I didn't explain it very well. I did read that maybe they can decide without there being a new trial.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 03-Nov-15 21:28:43

They are extremely unlikely to order a retrial. Neither side wants one, and the judges visibly agreed with the recommendation that they decide the verdict without a new trial being necessary.

From Roux' comments at the end, I'd say the prosecution did a good job at arguing that the law was applied incorrectly, but it could have been out of context. It could go either way, I think.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 03-Nov-15 21:31:11

There doesn't need to becaxretrial as there is no dispute about what evidence was given and no argument that new evidence has come to light

The issue is all about whether the judge correctly applied the law to the facts and reached the right conclusion re: verdict

Mummylin Tue 03-Nov-15 21:56:33

I wonder how long it will be before we hear the decision. I did read something about at the end that Roux apparently said he had lost. We will see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now