Talk

Advanced search

Are there any adults thankful for the help they received from Kids Company?

(22 Posts)
MrPorky Thu 29-Oct-15 17:10:48

Apologies if this has been done before, but they're supposed to have been doing great work with 1000s of children for 20 years or so.

Most other large charities have at least a couple of high profile people they've helped in the past who become ambassadors. If the help KK have been giving has been so helpful, where are all the people they've helped?

ragged Thu 29-Oct-15 17:38:37

The number actually helped may be frightfully small. sad

itsmeohlord Thu 29-Oct-15 17:41:48

How on earth this charity got such a massive amount public money is beyond me.

And who was auditing theem?

MrPorky Thu 29-Oct-15 17:48:23

I know ragged. What I don't understand is why, while everyone was raving about what great work they were doing for so many and throwing money at them, no-one ever tried to find the adults who had been helped to see what the long term outcomes were

ragged Thu 29-Oct-15 17:48:35

Audited by charity commission, at least formally?

howtorebuild Thu 29-Oct-15 17:50:50

Watching with interest.

Aerfen Thu 29-Oct-15 18:08:27

I should imagine there are plenty! Those to whom Batman handed out cash.

MrPorky Thu 29-Oct-15 18:16:46

Well yes, but if so why is no-one coming forward to say how much more awful their childhood would have been without her, or for that matter how damaging it was for cash to be handed out like that?

No-one, as far as I know, is saying they received help and it was good or bad.

Why wasn't following people who'd received help part of the process for continuing support?

Floundering Thu 29-Oct-15 18:21:43

46 million, forty... six... fucking million over the years and still the deluded cow couldn't make it work.

There are kids clubs, after school clubs & loads of kids charities all over the country , that could have been funded for bloody YEARS with that.

God it makes me so mad .(....can you tell!! ) smile

Aerfen Thu 29-Oct-15 18:28:03

I suspect it was mainly a cash cow for herself.
Batmans specially handmade clothes alone must cost a fortune.

SurferJet Thu 29-Oct-15 18:35:44

Despite having a son of 16 I'd never heard of kids company.

BertrandRussell Thu 29-Oct-15 18:35:51

I do find it puzzling that there are not people coming forward to tell their stories..................

BertrandRussell Thu 29-Oct-15 18:37:00

How much did Surestart cost?

Floundering Thu 29-Oct-15 19:10:45

Aerfan, I'm sure she has several "investments" here & there.

Of course she is now screaming conspiracy, because fingers are pointing at her.

Floundering Thu 29-Oct-15 19:11:43

Not £46 mill Bertrand I'll bet & at least that was a nationwide project!

BertrandRussell Thu 29-Oct-15 19:22:25

I know. Think of the good Surestart could have done with that money!!!

IamTheWhoreofBabylon Thu 29-Oct-15 19:25:45

They are still praising her though
On the news today it said her work was wonderful but she was not able to financially manage the charity and that she could work in the area again with a financial manager
I think she is a charlatan

Floundering Thu 29-Oct-15 19:45:56

I used to think she was a real pioneer. I agree a complete shyster.

UnlikelyPilgramage Sun 01-Nov-15 12:33:30

I hadn't heard of Kids Company either, Surfer, but it was very London - centric, which probably explains the large amounts given to it.

A very frustrating and upsetting state of affairs.

sarahsinlondon Sun 01-Nov-15 12:54:22

I used to volunteer there. There were dozens of kids there every day, playing football, learning skills and crafts, playing, getting fed a hot dinner. The staff were really committed but exhausted. Never saw any sign of money sloshing around though it did seem chaotically managed. So saddened by what's since emerged in the press.

EWLT Sun 01-Nov-15 16:14:53

So, where are all those kids now sarah? AFAIK, not a single one has come forward to sat what a godsend they KC was for them.

sarahsinlondon Sun 01-Nov-15 19:26:52

I don't know EWLT, I stopped volunteering a few years ago. The ones I worked with were very young 5-8 years old so a long way from adulthood. I'm not seeking to defend anything, only to say there's a difference between head office (that clearly mismanaged funds) and the staff and volunteers who worked their socks off for some wonderful kids. As I'm sure many people know, they had multiple sites. I never even met Camila.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now