Talk

Advanced search

Children who have had a death in the family will not be allowed time of school to grieve

(29 Posts)
bodenbiscuit Sat 24-Oct-15 18:53:47

Yet more evidence of this sociopathic government

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11945031/Grieving-children-cant-have-extra-days-off-schools-Minister-warns.html

bodenbiscuit Sat 24-Oct-15 18:54:42

Sorry time off school of course.

Do they really think grieving children will be able to carry on at school as if nothing happened and it won't affect their grades?

MrsGinnyPotter Sat 24-Oct-15 18:58:40

That is awful and clearly he has never personally worked with or supported a grieving child in education.
If children are ready then by all means let them come back but if they need time, they should be allowed it without feeling they are doing the wrong thing.

HeySoulSister Sat 24-Oct-15 19:01:03

Have you read the article? It clearly states it's head teachers discretion

And 'no extended holidays on the back of a funeral!' Yes.... Parents DO take the piss.

SquadGoals Sat 24-Oct-15 19:02:40

Why let something so basic such as actually reading the article get in the way of slagging off those Tory bastards, hey? hmm

bodenbiscuit Sat 24-Oct-15 20:05:58

It doesn't state that - it says that time off for the funeral is at the teachers discretion. But that if the child needs more time they can't have it.

bodenbiscuit Sat 24-Oct-15 20:06:11

Head teachers discretion

AuntieStella Sat 24-Oct-15 20:08:29

"there may be cases where a child may need to take more days off for compassionate reasons. However, this is entirely at the discretion of the school/head.""

Unfortunately, the minister cannot force a crap HT to act compassionately.

bodenbiscuit Sat 24-Oct-15 20:10:46

Well I am glad to hear this. It certainly would not happen at any of my children's schools. But there are a lot of officious schools. One primary school near me threatens to report you to the LA if you are even a minute late.

howtorebuild Sat 24-Oct-15 20:17:57

This is a disgrace.

Having seen a few casess of a junior school child being taken for a month to the other side of the world to attend the funeral of a great grandparent they never met and their parents saw a few times in their life, when really it was a long holiday.

howtorebuild Sat 24-Oct-15 20:19:27

It's not right a child grieving a close relative should be penalised.

HeySoulSister Sat 24-Oct-15 20:20:32

Well that's obviously happened too much

titchy Sat 24-Oct-15 20:21:36

Oh FFS if the child is so traumatised by the death, and often getting back to normal is beneficial, they can be signed off sick.

bodenbiscuit Sat 24-Oct-15 20:24:04

Not the point titchy. Who doesn't need to grieve after a death in the family?

lexigrey Sat 24-Oct-15 20:27:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hmcReborn Sat 24-Oct-15 20:29:49

It shouldn't be at the discretion of the Head Teacher, its a family matter and should be at the discretion of the parents

lexigrey Sat 24-Oct-15 20:31:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Sat 24-Oct-15 20:34:08

Here we go again . . . 'genuinely grieving'. Who measures that?

NewLife4Me Sat 24-Oct-15 20:36:51

It doesn't surprise me at all tbh.
This government believe they own our children. There used to be a time when we were allowed to parent as we felt fit, now the state are the parents, it's so sad
So glad my dd won't ever set foot in a state school again.

hmcReborn Sat 24-Oct-15 20:41:23

Do you really believe that the state should micromanage peoples lives lexigrey ?!?

NewLife4Me Sat 24-Oct-15 21:03:03

lexigrey

It should be their discretion though, the government aren't the children's parents.
I'd trust the child's parent before government any day.

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 24-Oct-15 21:14:34

When my grandad died who my dc were extremely close to being at school was the best thing for them.

They got away from the mourning and enjoyed themselves with their friends feeling normal again.

expatinscotland Sat 24-Oct-15 21:47:50

My children's elder sister died. She was 9. She did it over the summer so they didn't have to miss school. The government and headteachers don't know my children as well as we, her parents, do. Why the fuck should it be up to them to tell if they are 'genuinely grieving'? And guess what, over 3 years on, they still are. In fact, a lot of professionals can tell you that when children sustain a close bereavement, many times, they show this many, many years on. I am in my mid-40s and have friends who lost their sibling or parent in childhood. They still mourn this loss.

expatinscotland Sat 24-Oct-15 21:49:32

'They got away from the mourning and enjoyed themselves with their friends feeling normal again.'

Children often do this no matter how close the loss. hmm

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 24-Oct-15 21:52:38

I was explaining how school helped my dc in our situation expat. Your situation was not my situation.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: