Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Iain Psychopath Duncan Smith to press ahead with plans to cut support for disabled and chronically ill

(24 Posts)
blacksunday Tue 13-Oct-15 21:03:15

The disabled, cancer patients and chronically ill are to lose almost £30 a week in support under plans drawn up by Iain Duncan Smith

--

Iain Duncan Smith is to press ahead with welfare cuts that will see tens of thousands of disabled and chronically ill people lose almost £30 a week in support.

The Work and Pensions Secretary’s Welfare Reform and Work Bill will slash the amount the sick and disabled can get from £102.15 to £73.10 a week - even if they have been judged too ill to work.

The legislation will hit an estimated 500,000 people, including cancer patients and those with conditions such as Parkinson’s and Multiple Sclerosis.

Labour’s shadow minister for the disabled Debbie Abrahams is calling on the Government to scrap the measure.

“It is deeply worrying that suffers of progressive conditions such as Parkinson’s, Multiple Sclerosis or Motor Neurone Disease will be hit by these measures.

"Cutting support from people with such conditions will not help them tackle their health issues, in fact it risks making peoples’ conditions worse, because they may no longer have the means to live healthier lives,” she said.

“Disabled people are already twice as likely to live in persistent poverty.

"While last year, more than 300,000 additional disabled people were pushed in to poverty.

"That is why Labour is calling for the Government to carry out a proper impact assessments that considers the combined impact of cuts to disabled people,” she said.

A Department for Work and Pensions spokesman said: “We are absolutely committed to supporting disabled people and continue to spend around £50bn a year on disabled people and their services.

“Those who are already claiming Employment and Support Allowance will see no change in the level of their benefit they receive.

"Payments for those placed in the support group, who have the most severe work-limiting health conditions and disabilities, will be maintained at the current level.”

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/iain-duncan-smith-press-ahead-6628337

Oswin Tue 13-Oct-15 21:06:03

Absolutely awful. Yet tory supporters will still bleat on about how disabled people are not affected by these cuts.

Oswin Tue 13-Oct-15 21:08:11

Thirty pounds a week is a massive amount to lose. angry.
Sickening.

AnyFucker Tue 13-Oct-15 21:09:34

There are no words to describe how much I hate that man.

I'd like to hobble him, and then watch as he tried to manage as a disabled person on the pittance he is offering.

Next step, workhouses.

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Tue 13-Oct-15 21:11:29

Eugenics by stealth...

RandomMess Tue 13-Oct-15 21:15:14

Beyond depressing. There are so many people who don't realise that in 6 months time or even 6 years time that could be them - gone from working with a comfortable lifestyle to living in poverty with no hope of it ever changing because they are either too disabled too ill to work sad angry

Electrolux2 Tue 13-Oct-15 21:17:20

This is the wrag ESA cut?

I would love to know the stats for the people on ESA; how many are in the support group and how many are in wrag

Does anyone know?

blacksunday Tue 13-Oct-15 21:17:29

Well, the poor and the NHS are next, guys.

megletthesecond Tue 13-Oct-15 21:18:36

I genuinely think there's something wrong with IDS. That man is fucking evil.

Electrolux2 Tue 13-Oct-15 21:21:53

And again. This £30 is ON TOP OF the SDP cut.

blacksunday Tue 13-Oct-15 21:25:30

I think so too, meg.

prh47bridge Wed 14-Oct-15 00:28:09

In the interests of accuracy...

"regulations will include provision for claimants who are already in receipt of the work-related activity component or limited capability for work element to continue to receive that component"

So no £30 per week cut for existing claimants. But yes, new claimants will receive less - around about the same as JSA claimants.

blacksunday Wed 14-Oct-15 11:36:48

That text was in the original post, prh47bridge.

I think you mean 'redundancy', rather than 'accuracy'.

Jaxsbum Wed 14-Oct-15 11:39:42

"Payments for those placed in the support group, who have the most severe work-limiting health conditions and disabilities, will be maintained at the current level.”

for how long?

prh47bridge Wed 14-Oct-15 12:49:24

That text was in the original post, prh47bridge

Yes I know but some of the discussion on this thread seemed to assume that existing claimants will be affected.

for how long?

There is no way of answering that question. Apart from anything else this government cannot make any commitment that is binding on future governments so the most they can legitimately say is that there will be no change before May 2020 (assuming that is what they intend). The problem with saying that is that some people will use that as evidence that the government plans to change after that date, which may or may not be true. Hence the usual politicians phrase that "we have no plans". Which is also, of course, a way of avoiding making any commitment at all.

HeyMacWey Wed 14-Oct-15 12:58:04

I claim ESA, although haven't been assessed despite putting my application in 9 mths ago so am still on assessment rate.

There are extra costs that come with being disabled/chronically ill. I have to drive most places as I can't walk very far, but can walk far enough not to qualify for pip. Or I might be able to walk somewhere, but then need to be rescued by a cab as I can't walk back. Before getting ill I walked or cycled everywhere. The cost of running a car probably equals the cost of food or other living expenses.

My heart breaks for the vulnerable. IDS and his ilk are trying to kill us off.

squidzin Wed 14-Oct-15 13:16:07

IDS needs to be put on trial for crimes against humanity.

Isitmebut Wed 14-Oct-15 13:17:30

Politicians eh?

Labour said in May 2010 they'd half the budget deficit in their first 5-years and would raise taxes; but having held the national books for 13-years - and over 2-years after the crash began when a politicised Treasury had totally underestimated UK tax receipts BEFORE the 2010 General Election - they refused to give voters any spending/cuts/taxes details.

Thanks to their political cowardice you will never know WHAT they would have done, but what you do know, is that without ANY plans to get us out of recession, there would have been mass unemployment/less tax receipts under them from 2010-2015.

Several shadow cabinet ministers said IN-BETWEEN the 2010 and 2015 General Election that THEY would slash welfare/benefits more than the Conservative led coalition - and that was with the UK economy RECOVERING, as those in Europe remained down the pan-hole - so god knows what they'd have cut when Labour inaction would have mirrored Europe's slump.

Isitmebut Wed 14-Oct-15 13:33:13

P.S. If anyone HAS the Labour May 2010 plans to sustainably reflate our economy and the drastic spending cuts to the likes of welfare/benefits in order to half THEIR budget deficit over one parliament (that Osborne managed) - please feel free to post them - as blaming the party that came up with the details to even SLOW the previous growth in welfare/benefit spending, rather than just talking about it, seems disingenuous to me.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10574376/Graphic-Britain-outstrips-Europe-on-welfare-spending.html

Oswin Wed 14-Oct-15 16:17:05

Ooh here we go. It doesn't matter what other party's would do. All that matters is what's happening now to ill people fgs. angry
You just cant accept that the torys are wrong can you. Even though its proven now they are targeting disabled and ill people. No no no all that matters to you is slagging labour off. Fucking hell.

blacksunday Wed 14-Oct-15 16:32:29

Ignore it, Oswin. It's a Tory HQ Spambot. There's no reason to engage.

CFSKate Sat 07-Nov-15 20:56:29

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dwp-staff-received-almost-140-million-in-bonuses-over-the-last-three-years-a6725371.html

GruntledOne Sun 08-Nov-15 09:44:54

Isitmebut, you really have to find another argument if you want to retain any credibility at all. Blaming everything on what happened 6 years ago just doesn't cut it any more, the Conservatives have to start taking responsibility.

BeckerLleytonNever Mon 09-Nov-15 17:15:33

^Ooh here we go. It doesn't matter what other party's would do. All that matters is what's happening now to ill people fgs. angry
You just cant accept that the torys are wrong can you. Even though its proven now they are targeting disabled and ill people. No no no all that matters to you is slagging labour off. Fucking hell.^

This ^^.

and Im disabled, and so is DC.

and the tories are just longing for us all to give up and keill ourselves as we cant manage anything so theycan pocket the little they give us.

thank you people for voting them in again. FFS.

why cant they ALL sit in a wheelchair/tie their legs together/one arm behind their back , for a week, and fend for themselves and see how it is?

they don't give a fucking fuck. Ive never hated anyone so much as this lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now