Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone else more worried about M15 than about terrorism.

(183 Posts)
batshitlady Thu 17-Sep-15 17:03:35

That's it really. The state wants ever more surveillance power, ever more restriction on freedom of speech and even, in universities, freedom of thought. It seems to me that it's in their nature to ask for more powers and restrictions to our freedoms and privacy. Are we just going to let them have it???

thehypocritesoaf Thu 17-Sep-15 17:05:36

I'm not really. I worry about terrorism more.

Branleuse Thu 17-Sep-15 17:06:05

I share your worry

PacificDogwod Thu 17-Sep-15 17:07:46

Fanatics with explosives worry me a lot more than security services in the UK.
Security services in some less democratic countries otoh… v scary.

I don't understand why people get so upset about privacy otoh, but are happy to have a TESCO card or similar. Don't get it.

Hassled Thu 17-Sep-15 17:14:07

No, I'm far more worried about terrorism than I am about MI5. They can do what they like if it prevents terror attacks - I just don't care. I'll gladly kiss goodbye to my privacy if it means they can stop another 7/7 or whatever's planned.

HirplesWithHaggis Thu 17-Sep-15 17:16:26

Craig Murray blogged about this today.

MaliceInWonderland78 Thu 17-Sep-15 17:23:40

I'm not worried about MI5 or the spies. I'm more worried about the abuse of those powers by the police.

thehypocritesoaf Thu 17-Sep-15 17:24:47

A bizarre article - he seems to think just because there has been no deaths from terrorism in the uk for a few years (and with the exception of lee rugby) that there is no threat.

How odd to discount the foiled attacks on London the same month (22/7) the many successful terrorist attacks in Europe and on Europeans in Tunisia, the many foiled attacks in this country, and the testimony of many former terrorist sympathisers.

PseudoBadger Thu 17-Sep-15 17:26:48

I've nothing to hide - if someone who doesn't know me wants to trawl through my inane Internet, email and phone usage tbh good luck to them.

fakenamefornow Thu 17-Sep-15 17:27:17

What exactly are you afraid of op?

AndNowItsSeven Thu 17-Sep-15 17:27:45

No.

MephistophelesApprentice Thu 17-Sep-15 17:28:50

Err, no.

Quite happy to be monitored. Indeed, considering the security status of some family members I'm likely to be under a degree of scrutiny, but it's had no impact on my life as a low level scallywag.

fakenamefornow Thu 17-Sep-15 17:29:30

Personally, I fear death more that I fear somebody reading my emails.

AlpacaLypse Thu 17-Sep-15 17:31:46

I really don't think MI5 are going to waste their time trawling all over the web for the sort of inanities that most of us post!

If it's a necessary tool to disrupt terrorists and child abusers, we have to accept a certain amount of observation.

Branleuse Thu 17-Sep-15 17:46:50

wow, people really just give up their liberty and privacy and want other people to too, so easily?

Its not about having anything to hide. Its about my private life, emails and telephone calls being private and my own business

emotionsecho Thu 17-Sep-15 17:48:19

batshitlady I agree with you too, once privacy is eroded it is near on impossible to get it back. The state/government are chipping away at individual freedoms and privacy in the name of security, we will never be 100% safe even if we give up all our individual freedoms and privacy and what a victory for terrorism that would be - the destruction of the liberal Western Democracies they so despise.

fakenamefornow Thu 17-Sep-15 17:59:09

Branleuse
Do you have a club card op? Or any kind of loyalty card? Do you use Facebook op or ever allow cookies?

Actually it seems to me most people are very happy to give up loads of personal information in exchange for a few discount vouchers never mind the chance to stay alive.

batshitlady Thu 17-Sep-15 17:59:30

I'll gladly kiss goodbye to my privacy if it means they can stop another 7/7

Really? That's an extraordinary thing to say. Civil liberties have been fought and died for, you want to just give them up? Our Govt's waging war and causing the problem the first place. Then we have to give up our civil liberties to sort it all out

batshitlady Thu 17-Sep-15 18:03:05

I don't use Facebook but if I did I'd be in control of what I post. Unrestricted access to my emails, correspondence etc is extremely worrying IMO.

As the adage goes - I don't do anything illegal at home at night but I still like to pull my curtains.

Branleuse Thu 17-Sep-15 18:07:55

i dont give a fuck whether anyone knows what groceries I buy, when clubcard is purely an opt-in service. I am concerned with facebook privacy, but still use it. Like fuck do I want anyone tapping into my digital or personal life when I havent commited a crime

thehypocritesoaf Thu 17-Sep-15 18:09:48

It's nice you don't worry about terrorism- do you not believe it exists or...

Whensmyturn Thu 17-Sep-15 18:10:18

No. Terrorism worries me much more than MI5. I deal with investigatory powers sometimes and think the safeguards against invasion of privacy are very strong.

Branleuse Thu 17-Sep-15 18:14:01

I believe the best deterrent to terrorism is to not have our army on the offensive and bombing the fuck out of other countries. Not to take away privacy and liberties from people

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 17-Sep-15 18:16:44

No way.

Terrorism scares me totally.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 17-Sep-15 18:18:13

I'm with you Hassled. I have nothing to hide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now