Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have I missed a thread? DJ Alex Dyke has been suspended. Rightfully so!!

(25 Posts)
Mummyofonesofar Fri 14-Aug-15 11:40:31

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33904758

YonicScrewdriver Fri 14-Aug-15 11:42:05

I know - what a bellend.

Mummyofonesofar Fri 14-Aug-15 11:47:48

Also "Defending his comments, Dyke said: "My point was fat chavvy mums with their boobs out on buses isn't a good look. A classy discreet mum is absolutely fine."

Sleepyfergus Fri 14-Aug-15 11:49:55

Just read this now. How on earth is this guy allowed to broadcast? I hope this is sacked for such silly statements.

And Arf at him taking about image consciousness - has he looked in the mirror recently?!

elephantoverthehill Fri 14-Aug-15 11:50:08

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2447424-Aibu-to-want-this-presenter-fired

I think this is the link you are looking for. What a trying to think of a toddler type insult silly billy

CantWorkItOut22 Fri 14-Aug-15 11:50:25

Wow. Just wow.

Sleepyfergus Fri 14-Aug-15 11:51:48

I've just realised who he reminds me of, Garth from Wayne's World!

YonicScrewdriver Fri 14-Aug-15 11:55:49

That was his defense!!

Debinaround Fri 14-Aug-15 11:56:59

My DS is 8 weeks old and it's only been the last 2 weeks that I have felt brave enough to breast feed him in public. This fools comments have made me feel like crying. Do people look at me and think that?

Oh and I don't have a moustache! grin

Sleepyfergus Fri 14-Aug-15 12:02:42

Debin - please don't stop! I bf both my 2 and I never came across any hostility. I actually think that 99% of the folks out there don't actually give a toss or even notice when a woman is bf (unless you're like me and you look fondly at a bf mum and remember how lovely it was!). Sadly there is a tiny minority of ignorant idiots that feel the right to pour ridicule in bf. Chances are you'll never meet them, so please continue and enjoy what you're doing. It's a beautiful experience and I'm grateful that I was able to.

Debinaround Fri 14-Aug-15 14:29:15

Thanks for your kind words fergus thanks I won't stop. smile

I would like to think most people are like you. I haven't had a negative comment yet and hope it stays that way.

It's so bloody hard breast feeding and it takes lots of women so much courage to do it in public that we should be getting praise heaped on us! Not being ridiculed and made to feel ashamed for feeding our babies.

The man is a prat. angry

Uptoyounow Fri 14-Aug-15 14:31:12

He was desperately trying to bait mumsnetters that day too. Don't give him what he wants!

Simple fact is that he promoted formula and was extremely ill informed and misogynistic all under the banner of the BBC. Not acceptable at all.

The internet says he is responsible for the 'Oops Upside your head' dance.

cdtaylornats Sat 15-Aug-15 09:53:07

Much as I disagree with his views, its a bit dangerous to support censorship and removal of freedom of speech.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 15-Aug-15 10:32:02

Yes there is a thread on AIBU. I think it's still active. Called. AIBU to want this presenter fired.
Some posters were a little bit rude to the op. Saying YABU. He's entitled to his opinion. Which yes I suppose he is but you keep your opinions to your self in cases like this. Thinking what you like is one thing. Saying what you like is another.

cdtaylornats Sun 16-Aug-15 12:52:26

Why shouldn't he say what he thinks, it's not like yelling fire in a cinema.

The only "damage" done here is that he has confirmed he's an idiot.

YonicScrewdriver Sun 16-Aug-15 12:54:02

Because he's a bbc presenter, paid by the bbc, representing the bbc.

HTH.

cdtaylornats Sun 16-Aug-15 18:20:23

So are you saying everyone working for a company has to toe the company line? No dissension in the ranks sounds a bit fascist, like the SNP.

Sleepyfergus Sun 16-Aug-15 18:52:11

From BBCs Editorial Policy, 4.4.5

"We must apply due impartiality to all our subject matter. However, there are particular requirements for 'controversial subjects', whenever they occur in any output, including drama, entertainment and sport.
A 'controversial subject' may be a matter of public policy or political or industrial controversy. It may also be a controversy within religion, science, finance, culture, ethics and other matters entirely."

So yeah, this guy did not 'toe the company line' as you put it, and broke conditions of his enjoyment. If I was the BBC I would be embarrassed. Embarrassed to have employed such a dullard whose opinions are clearly rooted in the Stone Age. And that's me being very unfair on Neanderthal man as I'm sure most won't have batted an eyelid at any child bearing woman breastfeeding.

The mans a twat, regardless of his right to free speech.

LineyRunner Sun 16-Aug-15 18:56:46

He's just another jockard.

YonicScrewdriver Sun 16-Aug-15 19:18:44

Yes, the majority of companies take disciplinary action against employees in breach of equality guidelines. Wouldn't yours, Cd?

BathtimeFunkster Sun 16-Aug-15 19:30:26

So are you saying everyone working for a company has to toe the company line? No dissension in the ranks sounds a bit fascist, like the SNP.

confused

He didn't work for "a company". He worked as a broadcaster for the largest broadcasting corporation in the country.

One funded by a compulsory tax on TV ownership. So basically a public service.

His "opinion" wasn't a private matter expressed to friends. It was a position for which he abused the limited public resource, allocated to his employer by the government, and to which he had access as an employee, to gain maximum exposure in contravention of his contract.

That anyone thinks it is legitimate to broadcast revolting misogynistic prejudice that goes against their terms of employment and claim "freedom of speech" is laughable.

Iggi999 Sun 16-Aug-15 19:38:40

A bit facist, like the SNP? shock

Iggi999 Sun 16-Aug-15 19:40:08

Posted too soon - cdtaylornats was that a typo?

YouBastardSockBalls Sun 16-Aug-15 19:44:56

Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

However, having some opinions, such as racist, homophobic, or misogynistic ones, is not only wrong, but you are also not entitled to express them whilst working in certain jobs. Such as bbc broadcaster.

LineyRunner Sun 16-Aug-15 20:01:11

Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion. And mine is that faux-controversial twats like Katie-Hopkins-alike Alex Dyke have no business being paid by the BBC. I bet his colleagues at BBC radio Solent loathe him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now