Talk

Advanced search

Will theatres stop wanting big names?

(13 Posts)
MadAsgardian Mon 10-Aug-15 19:10:02

Following the BC issues this week, is it going to put theatres off of having actors who are well known for TV and film in their productions?

It pisses me right off that people are ruining it for everyone else. I went to see an evening with Tom Hiddleston and people were constantly being approached by staff to stop taking photos (it really distracted from him talking) despite it being really heavily promoted as no photos.

People can't seem to just enjoy the live experience without getting some photographic record of it.

Sparklingbrook Mon 10-Aug-15 19:12:09

It's rubbish isn't it? Who gets their phone out at the theatre? angry

wasn't the same thing a problem when David Tennant was doing a Shakespeare play? All the Dr Who groupies turned up?

LurkingHusband Tue 11-Aug-15 09:52:03

I suspect as long as the theatres make money, they don't care who is onstage.

Of course, rewind 10 years, and the Sunday Supplements were full of tales of gloom and doom because actors were eschewing stage work for (better paying) TV and film grin ....

Beeswax2017 Thu 13-Aug-15 09:32:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadAsgardian Thu 13-Aug-15 18:25:12

Yes Loki. It was a total fluke that I stumbled across it while not at all obsessively googling TH!

The Nuffield Theatre in Southampton in February. DH bought me and DD tickets for my birthday.

I have NEVER been so happy. He was totally dreamy.

And of course funny and interesting wink

Beeswax2017 Thu 13-Aug-15 18:33:43

Skeppers Thu 13-Aug-15 18:45:52

He's recently become a patron at the Nuffield and will be there fairly regularly by all accounts!

EvilTwins Thu 13-Aug-15 18:48:22

Big names = bums on seats. I don't think that the business minds at the top are going to stop employing "names" whilst it makes them money.

Beeswax2017 Thu 13-Aug-15 18:53:11

tribpot Thu 13-Aug-15 19:00:35

I imagine anyone who does it to Mirren is going to get told to fuck the fuck off.

The best chance of pressure probably comes from the stars themselves. It must be unbelievably annoying to be performing live with people papping you, who the fuck needs that?

Skeppers Thu 13-Aug-15 19:16:50

Sorry, 'associate actor', not patron! grin

MadAsgardian Thu 13-Aug-15 20:12:16

I don't want to make you implode Loki but you could submit questions before the event and he answered mine!!! Sadly they didn't read names so he had no idea it was me. In my head though, I like to think he was talking right at me as he answered grin

Beeswax2017 Thu 13-Aug-15 20:21:40

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now