Talk

Advanced search

Tesco withdraw Ribena

(76 Posts)
Quintanimo Tue 28-Jul-15 15:51:28

linky

Quintanimo Tue 28-Jul-15 15:54:44

Specifically - lunchbox sized full sugar cartons - are banned - but 'sugar free ' versions stay.

My DC are slim and healthy - and I'd no sooner let them eat sweetener than let them lick out the toilet bowl.

And surely the issue is more 'sugar in pizza' than 'sugar in sugar'.

HowD Tue 28-Jul-15 15:58:13

As I said on the other thread it's like butter/margarine again. Sugar v chemical shit.

Duckdeamon Tue 28-Jul-15 15:59:46

Ridiculous. I feel the same way about fake sweeteners.

If they are taking sugar reduction seriously they would do better to stop adding it to so many products.

Preminstreltension Tue 28-Jul-15 16:01:34

God that's weird. I agree - I actively search out the squash with sugar rather than sweetener (hasten to add that it's a very occasional treat in my house before the "your children are fat" brigade descend).

PHANTOMnamechanger Tue 28-Jul-15 16:41:12

just been reading about this on fb, am surpried MN is not more vocal on the matter already, unless it's over in chat or AIBU grin

I think it is daft, they peddle all sorts of cheap sugar laden 'healthy breakfast cereals' and mountains of carby, fatty junk food, but ribena is the big bad guy responsible for obesity? ludicrous!

hot ribena with a shot of lemon juice and a dash of honey is the best comfort drink for a cold, and I never buy the sweetner versions of cordials, they taste rank!

I have 3 DC aged 10,13,15, none of whom have any fillings at all and all who drink squash etc in moderation - water being the preferred choice at all meal times,they each get a carton of juice or smoothie in their lunch box but fizzy drinks and posh drinks like shloer, J2O are only for special occasions.

PHANTOMnamechanger Tue 28-Jul-15 16:52:13

ah, just found the big thread over on chat

SophiesDog Wed 29-Jul-15 21:08:06

I can't drink sweetener in drinks. It makes me need the toilet and gives me a very dry mouth after a day or two.

Nasty stuff.

Sugar all the way here. Love a list actually of stuff that is sweetener free, if anyone knows where to find one?

Fantasyland Wed 29-Jul-15 21:29:57

Can someone give me a list of acceptable drinks other than water or milk please.

It's all very confusing that sugar free has bad sweeteners but full sugar versions has too much sugar.

Please I'd be greatful what squash brand is healthy for kids?

SideOrderofChips Thu 30-Jul-15 10:24:56

Give them watered down fruit juice rather an squash

MummyDodd Thu 30-Jul-15 13:07:36

Artificial sweeteners in the UK carry no dangers, it's a myth.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 30-Jul-15 13:10:39

It's ridiculous. Are they going to remove all of the bottles of milk/fruit juice from their shelves too? They contain shitloads of sugar too...

RB68 Thu 30-Jul-15 13:15:04

My issue is targetting one drink - what about all the fizzy drinks, chocolates, cheap sweets, choccie biscuits, biscuits, supposedly healthy snack bars, cereals, porridge with added sugar etc

You can't just penalise one brand - If I was Ribena I would be consulting the lawyers

I hate sweetners too - I find they they still effect my sugar levels and make me feel crap hormonally. As to sweetners in the UK causing no damage - tell me another fairy story

GraysAnalogy Thu 30-Jul-15 13:17:24

It's pathetic isn't it. I'd like to have sat on that board meeting and seeen how they tried to justify it

I think there's something more to it, must be

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 30-Jul-15 13:18:40

Ffs. tesco is full of stuff that unsuitable if consumed the wrong way/too much/too often. shops are there to sell not dictate what cab or can't be bought. It's squash not alcohol restriction are ridiculous. not sure why sweetness are any better. and what about petit filous, frubes or cheese strings or potatoe smiles. they are full of sugar or ridiculously processed are they going to be banned too? so where can shoppers by what they actually want?

moonbells Thu 30-Jul-15 14:09:37

I know far too many people who have (or whose children have) reactions to artificial sweeteners. At all the birthday parties we've catered for, I have searched high and low for full-sugar no-sweetener squashes and it's getting harder and harder.

I suspect the only option soon is making your own with lemon juice and water and sugar, or serving just water.

My own DS isn't allowed juice/squash because of poorly-enamelled teeth, so it's not as if we'll be much inconvenienced by this decision, but they are taking informed choice away from us. Interestingly though, at 7 he has better teeth than I had at that age, and I had normal enamel... but drank Ribena and other squashes pretty much exclusively.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 30-Jul-15 14:14:02

Maybe there's going to be done kind if black market ribena?

two wraps of coke, an eighth and two cartons of ribena please

AndNowItsSeven Thu 30-Jul-15 14:14:46

I hate sweeteners, I don't give the dc juice, but do drink it myself. It's now impossible to find Robinsons with sugar.

WaitingForEgg Thu 30-Jul-15 14:25:14

It's very obviously a media stunt to get coverage and publicity. Tesco don't care about health or reducing obesity, or they would remove all "unhealthy" products from the shelves. Reducing discounts and buy one get one free offers on chocolate and sweets and making fresh fruit, veg etc more affordable would be a much better incentive for people to eat better than removing two drinks from the shelves. Ridiculous

MrsJorahMormont Thu 30-Jul-15 17:41:26

I keep meaning to try making my own cordial at home in the slow cooker. It would be full sugar but no nasties presumably.

MadeMan Thu 30-Jul-15 19:02:26

I remember when Ribena was just a blackcurrant drink, before they started all the silly flavours like strawberry.

ouryve Thu 30-Jul-15 19:05:25

Laughing at the idea of Tesco being concerned about the perceived healthiness of a product. It's my go to supermarket for carby crap. Walls and walls of it.

QuiteQuietly Thu 30-Jul-15 19:07:59

I do slow cooker cordial - it's very nice! Not completely "nasty" free as I add Tartaric Acid to stop fermentation. But not sure what would be better to use.

Sweeteners give DS diarrhea - usually about 2 hours after a blue-capped fruit shoot, but at least he's usually home from a party by then.

Are Tesco removing their own brand juice cartons as well?

LIZS Thu 30-Jul-15 19:12:26

It will be based on sales data. Presumably profit on these products no longer justifies the shelf room they occupy. Customers seeking those products will transfer to others, giving no overall loss to Tesco. Any semblance of health concerns is purely coincidental.

CarrieLouise25 Thu 30-Jul-15 19:25:22

Sweeteners are slowly taking over everything! We went to the cinema a while back and 4 out of the 5 fizzy drinks on offer were diet. I'm not on a diet, I don't want a diet drink!!!

Sweeteners are so much worse than sugar.

More and more 'sugar free' drinks are replacing the normal sugar ones. We struggle to find anything without the nasties in.

I really don't think Ribena is entirely responsible for the UK's obesity problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now