Talk

Advanced search

Another young black person dies in police custody in the US

(228 Posts)
Floundering Thu 23-Jul-15 23:06:44

Sandra Bland, a university graduate who had just moved back to South Carolina to work in her old University.

She forgot to signal when changing lanes whilst driving her car & was pulled over. The police officer went OTT and pulled her out of the car & (it seems from heavily edited footage from the police dashcam) had to restrain her.

She was then arrested and kept in jail for a minor traffic violation, and found dead in her cell allegedly having hanged herself.

This picture is her mugshot but may have been doctored after her death

Floundering Thu 23-Jul-15 23:10:56

Sorry, Texas not Carolina.

Floundering Thu 23-Jul-15 23:16:52

[DISTRESSING IMAGE WARNING by MNHQ]

is this the real photo they took of her & then edited?

Apparently your mugshot is taken in the clothes you are arrested in, so why was she in orange prison garb in this pic?

Lots of inconsistencies. sad

AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore Thu 23-Jul-15 23:24:13

FFS. That'll teach me to randomly click on links. hmm Put a warning on it, eh? A bit unnerving IMO.

cuntycowfacemonkey Thu 23-Jul-15 23:25:35

I've reported this. Sorry OP but what were you thinking posting that link without proper warning angry

Shame on you

cuntycowfacemonkey Thu 23-Jul-15 23:27:48

WARNING: SECOND LINK HAS VERY DISTRESSING IMAGE

Floundering Thu 23-Jul-15 23:30:29

Oh for goodness sale it's after the watershed , I warned in the first link it was suspected to be faked.

I think there are bigger issues here!

MegMogandOwlToo Thu 23-Jul-15 23:32:30

Wtf?! That image needed a warning.

cuntycowfacemonkey Thu 23-Jul-15 23:33:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

slkk Thu 23-Jul-15 23:47:49

Yes wish hadn't clicked on that

sliceofsoup Fri 24-Jul-15 10:51:08

There are bigger issues here, I agree OP. Thank you for posting that pic, yes it did need a warning, but we need to be talking about this woman, so lets move on eh?

I had been reading about this, and trying to decide if I agreed with the theory that she was already dead in the mugshot, and that has sealed it tbh.

The video of her arrest is also disturbing. A police officer on a fucking power trip. If she had been white, would that have escalated in the same way? I really don't think it would have.

Floundering Fri 24-Jul-15 12:25:40

Well thank you Cuntycow (what an apt name)

These images are all over the internet, Facebook and Twitter, without warnings or soft peddalling as it is such a serious horrific issue.

I posted late last night and have not had a chance (real life & all ) to ask MNHQ to put a warning on the title for the sensitive flowers amongst us.

The link title explained what was underneath but I shall spell it out.

Slice thank you, I agree this needs highlighting. There are so many things that don't add up and however shocked we all are at these photos imagine how dreadful it must be for her mother and family.

passmethewineplease Fri 24-Jul-15 12:30:45

I've been reading up on this.

Apparently the mugshot where her eyes aren't focused is a fake produced online.

I do think more needs to be said about this case.

As Sandra said herself why did not signalling land her in jail for three days?!

Jen1610 Fri 24-Jul-15 12:31:14

Well I commented earlier on something about this but the pic defo wasn't like that of her!

Regarding the first picture with the comment it may of been doctored after her death. Chances are it's actually the second that has been doctored.

CherryBonBon Fri 24-Jul-15 12:33:02

The picture that Floundering posted is obviously fake.

Odd story. Didn't the autopsy find that she hanged herself with no cause for suspicion?

GarlicDoughballsInGlitter Fri 24-Jul-15 12:40:56

I watched a clip of the arrest, but I can't find it now. Then there was an article about a longer clip they they think they looped? Strange arrest anyway. The copper didn't even say she was arrested until she said I am not under arrest. Then he said yes you are.

passmethewineplease Fri 24-Jul-15 12:44:11

Yes it was a strange arrest. I don't really see why she was arrested in the first place and it seems she didn't either. There is another video of a passerby who filmed who is told to leave. You can hear her say they've just banged her head to the ground and don't they care.

SwedishEdith Fri 24-Jul-15 12:46:18

My eldest teen has just shown me the police video - extremely upsetting.

Jen1610 Fri 24-Jul-15 12:46:29

I absolutely agree the police man was out of order and over reacted and was far too heavy handed. She however also was out of order. Why not just put the.cigarette out and calmly step out the car when asked. Why curse and swear at a policeman like that.

I also don't agree with how in America police just drive around solo compared to in the UK where there is two.

The policeman was a dick for sure. She could of been so much more compliant though.

I don't believe anything dodgy went on in jail though. Even her cellmate said she was tearful.

It is strange that such a high level of marijuana was in her system three days after being in jail.

SwedishEdith Fri 24-Jul-15 12:53:19

This is the video I saw [UPSETTING] here

Puzzledandpissedoff Fri 24-Jul-15 13:15:59

Didn't the autopsy find that she hanged herself with no cause for suspicion?

Apparently yes - though it's reported that the family have rejected the findings

As so often it's not taken long for possibly fake photos to appear, along with assumptions dressed up as facts and an unhinged outcry on Twitter ... I'm only waiting for the usual poster to turn up on here, insisting that all police are murdering b**tards, out to kill black folk wherever possible

Maybe it's worth avoiding leaping to conclusions before the facts are known??

MarchLikeAnAnt Fri 24-Jul-15 13:19:49

Either she was dead in the photo or for some strange reason they took her mugshot whilst she was on the floor.

Poor woman.

Fugghetaboutit Fri 24-Jul-15 13:27:48

Apparently she hung herself with a plastic bag from a bin in her cell but everyone in the US is commentating that cells would never have bins let alone plastic bag liners in them!

Fugghetaboutit Fri 24-Jul-15 13:28:43

Didn't he slam her to the ground? Maybe she died of a brain bleed overnight and they shit themselves and tried to cover it up. American police have done worse

FundamentalistQuaker Fri 24-Jul-15 13:28:59

Well, she could have been more 'compliant'.

But I do think that is a bit of a naive statement. There are people who are so vehemently hostile to black people that they will treat you badly whatever you do. To some of them, your compliance may just signal that you daren't kick up a fuss, so it emboldens them to do even worse things to you.

And it can be hard to be compliant when this happens to you all the time. A black male friend of mine, in London, would get stopped all the time. There was always a dishonest pretext. And when it happens for the fourth time in a week, or even a day, saometimes you just run out of 'compliance'.

Easy to judge when you are white and it never happens to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now