Talk

Advanced search

The Sun, The Queen, a nazi salute

(35 Posts)
Goldcotton Sat 18-Jul-15 07:44:55

DM link as the Sun is behind a paywall

She was 7 at the time. Muck raking at its finest by the Sun

Goldcotton Sat 18-Jul-15 07:46:33

I'd love to know how they got hold of it. Sun editor says it's a part of "social history"

SmokeFree Sat 18-Jul-15 07:52:40

I think it's really low of The Sun to print that and show the photographs. What on earth do they hope to achieve?

DancingLadyEmoji Sat 18-Jul-15 07:56:57

Smoke free - lots of paper sales, I imagine...

Figster Sat 18-Jul-15 08:03:54

Absolute tosh!!

Edward is a known sympathiser so thats hardly surprising and this was years before hitler showed his true colours

Total non story other than the fact the sun is a filthy rag!!!

SweetCharityBeginsAtHome Sat 18-Jul-15 08:08:16

Actually I don't have a problem with it. Nobody's saying "Lynch the Nazi Queen!" But it's a sobering reminder how close we came to having Edward as king and as such legitimate public interest.

NashvilleQueen Sat 18-Jul-15 08:11:32

Can't see that it will do The Sun any favours in terms of future photo ops with the little prince and princesses. That stuff would sell many more papers than this rubbish. Short sighted by them I think.

Theoldshmoo Sat 18-Jul-15 08:13:44

Why shouldnt The Sun show it confused

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Sat 18-Jul-15 08:13:58

It's an interesting snapshot of the time. But to present it as a big reveal news story is absurd.

Goldcotton Sat 18-Jul-15 08:14:48

Because it's a private family film? Presumably it's been stolen by someone

MythicalKings Sat 18-Jul-15 08:15:03

Bit of a non-story, really.

BrianButterfield Sat 18-Jul-15 08:16:35

It's very low. Also in 1933 many of the great and good were sympathetic towards Germany. Most families, luckily, didn't have access to video cameras...

SmokeFree Sat 18-Jul-15 08:19:19

DancingLady well there is that ...blush

DancingLadyEmoji Sat 18-Jul-15 08:44:18

grin

Agree with others saying it's sobering. The Nazis didn't set out their (eventual) plans from day one - they won by a landslide, didn't they?

But I am cynical & think the Sun mostly cares about its profit margins, so anything to sell a few copies

CaveMum Sat 18-Jul-15 08:50:37

There's speculation that the video belongs to the Duke of Windsor's estate, so the leak most likely came from there rather than the Royal Household.

I agree, it's a non-story. I'm sure plenty of people in the UK were copying the salute having seen it on Newsreels at the time. That doesn't make them Nazi's.

chickenfuckingpox Sat 18-Jul-15 08:59:45

the nazis courted us hitler did not want to fight with britain edward was a known sympathiser who would have loved us to be allies with them

we did attempt to broker peace agreements with them ultimately their "ideals" were ones we could not live with

the sun is scraping the barrel with this one im afraid

Squidzin Sat 18-Jul-15 11:08:41

Hilarious!
Agree it's a non story, but it's a bit humiliating for the RF, super.

Just a reminder that they are German Nazi sympathizers, posing as a non-political British family, while fleecing us out of millions in tax-pounds a year.

Oh, sorry. "they are good for the economy" - wrong! "they bring in tourism" - wrong! "Lovely good people" - wrong!
What else you got?

Behooven Sat 18-Jul-15 11:17:17

Tosh squidzin

The Sun is lower than a worms belly, that's a fact. Anyone actually thinking the Queen is a Nazi sympathiser based on what a child is mimicking (on stolen family films from 1933) is somewhat lacking in intelligence.

DrDre Sat 18-Jul-15 13:25:35

The Nazis were anti semitic from day one, though I don't think anyone could have anticipated the holocaust.
Given the Queen was only 7 at the time she can't in any way be held responsible. Her mother is a different matter though.
I think it was right to publish it - it's a legitimate story and reminds us how sympathetic some parts of the aristocracy were to Nazi Germany.

rosy71 Sat 18-Jul-15 13:42:03

Seems like a bit of a non-story to me.

FellOffMyUnicorn Sat 18-Jul-15 13:43:15

Ricky Gervais ‏@rickygervais 1h1 hour ago
If the Queen does another Nazi Salute let me know about it. Until then...she was 7 and it didn't even have it's eventual context. Not news.

Pepperpot99 Sat 18-Jul-15 13:46:00

I see the Leveson Enquiry was taken seriously then. hmm

BrianButterfield Sat 18-Jul-15 13:51:58

Obviously I'm not justifying anti-Semitism but in the 1930s (before the Nazis really took hold) a sort of casual anti-Semitic attitude was very normal. That's not to say people weren't horrified and sympathetic when Nazi atrocities came to light, but it wasn't regarded as a terrible, backwards attitude at the time.

And of course a small child playing at something is neither a Nazi nor an anti-Semite.

grimbletart Sat 18-Jul-15 21:14:46

As the BBC pointed out Nazi salutes were given in London at the funeral of the German ambassador three years after the film. And no one thought anything of it.

The Sun really is fit only for arse wiping.

Ubik1 Sat 18-Jul-15 21:16:44

I thought it was quite funny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now