Talk

Advanced search

Minutes silence tomorrow

(8 Posts)
Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Thu 02-Jul-15 18:13:14

There will be a minutes silence tomorrow at noon, we will arrive at heathrow at 11.15 so will likely be in the airport at 12, probably in the baggage hall I would guess. Does anyone know if there will be some kind of announcement?? I would like to observe the silence (although I find observed silences very emotional after 7/7) but not sure how it will work out... anyone experienced this?

squidzin Thu 02-Jul-15 20:14:58

You'd be better off setting your own private alarm for it.
In such an international space, i suspect any official recognition of the attacks will be avoided for fear of "offending" anyone.
Might be wrong, just my cynical view.

candlesandlight Thu 02-Jul-15 20:25:00

Squid...30 British citizens killed, the minutes silence is in Britain.we should not be worried about offending anyone.

OurDearLeader Fri 03-Jul-15 07:31:55

My work is extremely left wing and despite recent handwringing comments on Greece & the boats in the med there has been absolutely no mention of Tunisia or the silence, again I believe because of offence.

Russell Brand called it 'a minute of bullshit' last night in his charming manner. I wonder if he thought that about the Iraq War protests or any other expression of opposition to violence?

hollyisalovelyname Fri 03-Jul-15 21:16:59

I started a thread on here re the atrocity in Tunisia.
Only one comment.
I was gobsmacked.

MyBeloved Fri 03-Jul-15 23:54:50

There was a longer thread about it in chat...

hollyisalovelyname Sat 04-Jul-15 09:57:38

Ah.

Icimoi Wed 08-Jul-15 21:39:29

I was in a very public space yesterday, full of people of every nationality. They did the minute's silence, and it was universally observed. Frankly, the idea that people would avoid this for fear of offending minorities is bullshit. Remember, the victims comprised people from a large variety of ethnic groups.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now