Talk

Advanced search

Awful news story *warning, features baby loss*

(46 Posts)
Sidge Wed 17-Jun-15 17:58:01

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33161595

A pregnant woman has been attacked in London and lost her baby. Police fear she was deliberately targeted.

This story has really shocked me; I'm not pregnant or hoping to be but it's really got to me sad. That poor poor woman, what a horrendous situation. How very cruel.

Farahilda Wed 17-Jun-15 18:36:37

Horrible. Just horrible.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Wed 17-Jun-15 18:41:43

Absolutely horrible.

It does sound like she was targeted. There sounds to be a good chance it was a violent ex or similar.

That poor, poor woman.

CookieLady Wed 17-Jun-15 18:48:18

Awful. Just fucking awful. Pleased that the Police are treating akin to murder.

Tequilashotfor1 Wed 17-Jun-15 18:48:18

Just seen it. It's beyond monsterous. That poor poor woman and child. They should be charged with murder.

MrsBungle Wed 17-Jun-15 18:48:40

My god. That's absolutely depraved. I despair about people, I really do. That poor woman.

RumAppleGinger Wed 17-Jun-15 18:51:56

I heard this on the radio whilst driving and had to pull the car over to compose myself. It's utterly monstrous I hope the attackers are caught and prosecuted to the full extent. Fuckers. And I hope the woman pulls through.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Wed 17-Jun-15 18:52:17

Akin to murder, but not murder.

Upsetting BBC link on past similar cases

lostlalaloopsy Wed 17-Jun-15 18:53:18

I was just reading about this. It's truly despicable, it actually made me feel sick to my stomach. It does sound like she was targeted which is just beyond belief and really terrifying.

Thinking of the poor mum and lost little one tonight x

FlossieTreadlight Wed 17-Jun-15 18:55:30

Rum - same here. It took my breath away. It's just utterly, utterly vile. What sort of person do you have to be in order to be capable of such a thing? How can someone (two people!) be so detached from what is fucking ok and what isn't? I thank whatever/whoever tonight for my safe home, loving family and friends and my kids.

DoItTooJulia Wed 17-Jun-15 18:57:51

Oh my god. That's heinous. I am appalled.

Poor woman. What a thing to go through. I just dont know what to say. I hope she has someone to care for her.

NiceViper Wed 17-Jun-15 19:04:01

There have been some successful prosecutions for Child Destruction (Nikitta Grender and Kelsey-Mae), and some greater willingness to use the offence. But it requires intent (so does't apply in RTAs) and for the baby to have reached viability.

The mother is described as being in critical condition in hospital sad

I've not seen anything on why the police think she was deliberately targeted. Has there been a statement?

Finola1step Wed 17-Jun-15 19:04:11

Poor woman and baby. Utterly shocking.

BertieBotts Wed 17-Jun-15 19:04:26

That's horrendous and she's so young sad

If it is domestic violence related I really really hope she's getting good support. Well, in whatever situation, actually. Just unthinkable. They wouldn't do it to a baby in a pram, would they? (I hope not, anyway).

scratchandsniff Wed 17-Jun-15 19:04:57

I've just read this. It's absolutely horrendous. My heart aches for that poor lady and the baby that never got to live a life. I really hope the baby didn't suffer too much or feel much pain. It's unbearable to tjink about.

Sounds like she was definitely targeted. I hope they catch the sick fuckers and throw the book at them.

SophieHatters Wed 17-Jun-15 19:07:34

I'm not a fan of the death penalty but what on earth is a deserved punishment for bastards like that? They don't deserve to live.

SophieHatters Wed 17-Jun-15 19:09:32

I should imagine that if the motive is personal, it won't be that hard to trace the people involved.

BertieBotts Wed 17-Jun-15 19:10:06

One of the men who has been arrested was a similar age to her. I imagine that they can't say more yet because of identifying people but I'd guess a relationship - either a violent relationship where her ex-partner didn't want her to have the child or possibly an honour-based thing although I think they tend to kill the woman rather than attack pregnancies directly. As if it's religious based abortion is also likely to be taboo.

I understand that the law is how it is because of abortion (and that's right, IMO - abortion should be protected) but there ought to be a charge for the damage against the mother, even if it's something like emotional harm.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Wed 17-Jun-15 19:10:28

I've not seen anything on why the police think she was deliberately targeted. Has there been a statement?

Not that I know of, but she was approached in a residential road by men in disguises, and her stomach was intentionally attacked. It isn't like a robbery gone wrong or something.

Fleecyleesy Wed 17-Jun-15 19:16:29

Utterly monstrous sad

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 17-Jun-15 19:23:56

How appalling. It sees almost certain that she was deliberately targeted as the men attacked her stomach; but whether or not it was personal remains to be seen. I can't help but think it was though sad

coffeeisnectar Wed 17-Jun-15 20:05:01

Saw this on the news. It's just horrific. Poor woman and the poor baby. Words really fail me.

NiceViper Thu 18-Jun-15 06:38:40

One man charged with GBH and child destruction

Still nothing on the reasons why she was targeted. Now someone's been charged, that'll be something for the trial.

(I was wondering earlier if the police might have said something about the reason why - eg gang/other criminal/DV etc - in order to assist the hunt for the suspects, but probably no need and definitely sub judice now).

Compositedilemma Thu 18-Jun-15 06:43:57

They didn't send an ambulance!! [shocked]

Whoever was responsible for that should be sacked.

minibmw2010 Thu 18-Jun-15 07:01:46

A 20 year old man has been charged with child destruction and GBH with intent. And the ambulance service has apologised that it took an hour to get an ambulance out, Police took her to hospital In the end. That is fucking shocking!!! An hour ?!?! That poor child stood no chance confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now