Talk

Advanced search

Rapists found guilty on appeal after Judge stops the trial

(10 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Fri 13-Feb-15 13:08:11

story

Great news. Flabergasted that, with video evidence, this had to go to appeal.
So glad for the victim, so glad that this issue of capacity to consent is being taken seriously

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Fri 13-Feb-15 13:12:21

This won't be good news for Ched Evans (good!)

'The case is important because it shows that a victim’s inability to remember whether they gave consent does not mean they consented.'

Is this a final verdict though or can it be re-appealed?

edamsavestheday Fri 13-Feb-15 13:37:00

Good. At last some sensible judges. Of course you can't consent if you are incapable - any assumption that a drunk or drugged woman is deemed to have consented means rapists are encouraged to spike drinks or target drunken/drugged women. Which is not something the authorities should be promoting.

DuelingFanjo Fri 13-Feb-15 13:40:53

I guess the men could re-appeal just as Ched Evans has tried to.

I really hope the existence of video footage in the CE case means he is finally refused appeal for good.

badtime Fri 13-Feb-15 15:18:57

That article doesn't say that anyone has been found guilty, merely that the case will be reopened.

They could still be acquitted.

ErnesttheBavarian Fri 13-Feb-15 15:23:11

No, it says "Armitage, 43, of Oldham, and Polish nationals Segiet, 40, and Chudziki, 48, of Lincoln, were unanimously convicted by a jury at Lincoln Crown Court on February 10 and will be sentenced on Friday."

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Fri 13-Feb-15 15:23:53

The one in the video isn't likely to get off after this ruling, is he?

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Fri 13-Feb-15 15:26:13

Oh yes! Thanks, Ernest - I misread that & thought it related to the appeal

ErrolTheDragon Fri 13-Feb-15 15:31:08

Good. Hope the judge who stopped the original trial is sent on a refresher course or something.

Well done the CPS for not letting this one drop!

DuelingFanjo Fri 13-Feb-15 17:04:25

They most certainly have been found guilty here powerful statement from both the victim and the CPS.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: