Talk

Advanced search

Saudi blogger sentenced to 10 years in jail and 50 lashes a week for criticising the Saudi regime

(10 Posts)
kim147 Tue 13-Jan-15 09:17:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoraGora Tue 13-Jan-15 10:28:34

Qatar and Bahrain are every bit as bad as Saudi Arabia. But, they're going to help us/US out with air bases for bombing Iraq and Syria. So, let's face it, a few million grave human rights violations can be ignored when only the best people are making them.

Of Somoza Garcia, he may be a son of a bitch, but he's our son of a bitch.

Isitmebut Tue 13-Jan-15 10:41:11

How barbaric, the thought of knowing each week that you will get whipped over such a period of time, potentially opened up the previous weeks wounds, is beyond comprehension in what we call a civilised society.

But there were several heads of state, or their representatives, marching in Paris for human rights/freedoms, that if there was a god worth killing innocents for, would have all tripped and fell flat on their hypocritical faces.

But if we wanted to get picky on rights and some of the causes of terrorism, why didn’t anyone previously question why France, with the largest population of Muslims in Europe, ghettos them up and gives them far fewer opportunities than in say, the UK?

Where does the UK right to criticise other nations internal policies start and stop?

Why in a terrible year for the number of journalist deaths around the world, aren’t we declaring a diplomatic war on Egypt, on behalf of four Al-Jazeera journalists jailed a while back for a very long term, for reporting the truth during their Arab Spring moment?

There is no doubt that even at a time when OPEC oil is far less important to the world than in the decades before, the West will be reluctant to criticise the Saudi regime.

But apart from relations/business with Saudi Arabia, lets not forget that while the Saudi record on human rights seems very bad to us - especially as much of their ‘oppression’ appears to be in the name of religion, often enforced by their feared Religious Police – please correct me if I’m wrong, it appears the majority of those in Saudi Arabia are either happy to live in a society governed by Taliban lite laws, or live WITHIN those known strict laws.

Apart from the obvious fears of a Saudi royal family numbering in their thousands and ALL living like Kardashians, there is this Sunni versus Shia ongoing and escalating threat the government has to both worry about and be seen as a strong, Muslim State – and keeping their own house in order.

Lets also remember that Bahrain, a Causeway Bridge away from Saudi Arabia, attempted to give their population a fair parliamentary representation and rights, but his ended in riots by the Shia population, alleged to be egged on by the Shia Iran – which isn’t a stretch when assessing the religious politics within the region.

In other words, it may be the fag end of a parliament, but I hope our politicians are concentrating more on our screwed up domestic affairs and planning for the NEXT 5-years, rather than getting involved in complex Middle Eastern policies, when they often fail to understand the big picture e.g. UK parliamentarians recognizing a Palestinian State, while being governed by the Sunni Islamists called Hamas, yet bombing the Sunni Islamists called ISIS, killing indiscriminately to establish their own State.

Isitmebut Thu 15-Jan-15 09:39:16

Those thinking a call from ‘Dave’, or “Bro” (as he is currently known in the White House lol) to the House of Saud might make one halfpence of difference to the punishment of this poor blogger Raif Badawi, might find this article today interesting - re the historic internal conflict of the Saud and Wahab tribes, the latter Wahabis dictating the strict religious laws for at least 140 years.
www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabias-history-of-hypocrisy-we-choose-to-ignore-9978493.html

In fact the British in the past ‘went to war’ with those we would call ‘islamists’ today, who even then plied their strict and harsh punishment beliefs within what became Saudi Arabia, whose Sunni sect, funny old world, invaded Syria as in effect ISIS has done - wanting to laughingly form a ‘safe caliphate’ for the Sunnis within, swapping Assad’s chemical bombs for street executions .

In Syria today, where at least 64% were Sunnis and at most 21% are Shia made up of different groups, including the Alawites counting the President Assad within their numbers, Cameron tried to be proactive and stop the minority Assad regime murdering the majority Sunnis, requesting authorization for limited air action to stop Assads heavy artillery pounding Sunni cities/towns to a pulp and their aircraft, dropping bombs and chemicals indiscriminately onto the Sunni population.

But ‘the people’ via the UK parliament said ‘NO’.

I hear the latest 2015 estimate for Syrian refugees having had to flee their homes is 4 million.

It appears British politicians, that our history shows are unlikely to ever change what we would call western human rights, are damned if they do something, damned by critics if they don’t.

mrsruffallo Thu 15-Jan-15 21:13:05

Amnesty have launched a campaign to free Raif Budawi. PLease have a look on their website.

PhaedraIsMyName Thu 15-Jan-15 23:15:18

I've signed. This is disgraceful and horrific. And there were representatives of the Saudi Government in Paris last week. This is state supported terrorism.

chiliplant Thu 15-Jan-15 23:22:24

Its absolutely awful. I feel for him and his family so much. I wouldn't b wanting link arms with the Saudi government anytime soon.

kim147 Thu 15-Jan-15 23:26:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Isitmebut Fri 16-Jan-15 00:20:24

I'm sorry, I thought I might have gave a reasonable explanation, as it ain't their oil as blamed in the past.

Why is it strange that Cameron has not spoken out about what I believe is a Saudi national, in Saudi Arabia, with their own religious laws, society and punishments going back to tribal days, so one presumes he'd know that his views would go down within the fundamentalist country/regime he lives in, like a cup of cold sick?

How many more foreign individuals living outside the UK do you think any UK Prime Minister with UK 'stuff' of their own to sort out, should be representing?

To me, I'd prefer Cameron apologized to the Syrian Sunni rebels (including 4 million refugees with no sign of going home anytime soon) on behalf of the UK parliament, for their (then) politicking and apparent confusion with the early murders of an oppressed Syrian majority by their government, with a US/UK invasion of Iraq based on a 'dodgy dossier' made up in Westminster - as an excuse to do nothing. IMO.

Isitmebut Fri 16-Jan-15 19:57:09

Just another day of corporal punishment within the cities of Saudi Arabia; while our blogger gets a short term reprieve on medical grounds, a women is beheaded on the third attempt, having had painkillers withheld to make a State point on the severity of the murder.

“Saudi Arabia publicly beheads woman in holy Mecca as blogger lashings are postponed.”
www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-publicly-beheads-woman-in-holy-mecca-as-blogger-set-to-receive-second-lashing-9982134.html

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: