Talk

Advanced search

islamist extremists strike in france

(1000 Posts)
KareninsGirl Wed 07-Jan-15 13:00:12

My thoughts are with the victims of the latest barbaric act by Islamic extremists.

The world needs to wake up and defend itself.

RIP those who died and prayers for those critically injured.

at French magazine office http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30710883

AuntieStella Wed 07-Jan-15 13:02:12

I have seen some coverage of this on rolling news.

The perpetrators are at large.

11 dead (of whom 2 were police officers) and that figure is expected to rise.

emotionsecho Wed 07-Jan-15 13:05:13

The perpetrators appear to have had proper military training, it was a very cold, clinical attack.

meditrina Wed 07-Jan-15 13:06:26

It's not known who carried it out.

Commentators are saying this was a very competently executed attack.

Lottapianos Wed 07-Jan-15 13:12:04

They said on the radio that the gunmen were heard shouting about Allah and speaking Arabic.

I feel sick to my stomach about this. Apparently they were searching for some journalists and cartoonists by name. It's just devastating and so chilling.

Lottapianos Wed 07-Jan-15 13:12:59

'The world needs to wake up and defend itself'

Honest, serious question Karen - what do you mean by this? I promise I will not have a go at you

Patrickstarxx Wed 07-Jan-15 13:13:57

I am sick of religious fanatics!

meditrina Wed 07-Jan-15 13:15:55

Asking for individuals by name is being taken as an indication of a competent recce before the attack.

The damage to a car they shot up shows the shots in a definite group, and that is being taken as mastery of the weapon.

The way they moved away from the attack (caught in CCTV) is described as showing infantry tactics, leading to surmise that the two are trained soldiers.

Thereyouarepeter Wed 07-Jan-15 13:18:09

This is just so sad so cowardly - Freedom of speech, one of the west's most sacred tenants is being directly attacked.

RIP

Territt16 Wed 07-Jan-15 13:19:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

KareninsGirl Wed 07-Jan-15 13:21:27

That the free world must realise the growing movement of Islamic extremist terrorism is very real and is happening more frequently in westernised countries. that heads need to stop bring buried in the sand. that tough measures must come into play. that people stop being afraid to talk about it.

to recognise this is a global problem that will grow and grow.

Patrickstarxx Wed 07-Jan-15 13:21:57

Islam is not the problem. It's the fanatics in that religion that are.

Thereyouarepeter Wed 07-Jan-15 13:22:10

I'm making assumptions here meditrina that these are "soliders" who have fought for ISIS and have since returned to France.

Essentially a trained army fanatically opposed to the west has returned from the middle east and has taken safe refuge in europe.

meditrina Wed 07-Jan-15 13:23:58

Yes, that's one of the possibilities.

The other strong contender is an Algerian group.

Territt16 Wed 07-Jan-15 13:24:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

KareninsGirl Wed 07-Jan-15 13:26:20

which other religious extremists are perpetrating these brutal and deadly attacks worldwide?

nope... only Islamic ones.

All religions have extremists but only extremist islamics are murdering globally in this way.

Lottapianos Wed 07-Jan-15 13:26:40

'to recognise this is a global problem that will grow and grow'

I think you're right and that's terrifying. I have no idea what can be done about it - even more terrifying. It just seems out of control

JanineStHubbins Wed 07-Jan-15 13:28:09

'End Islam for good' Territ? How, exactly?

hmm

Lottapianos Wed 07-Jan-15 13:28:23

'All religions have extremists but only extremist islamics are murdering globally in this way'

Aayan Hirsi Ali would agree with you - when told that Islam is 'just like another religion', she asks why then does she require 24 hour professional bodyguards due to the threats made on her life just for speaking out against Islam?

ArsenicFaceCream Wed 07-Jan-15 13:28:24

There are reports that they asked for specific journalists by name.

sebsmummy1 Wed 07-Jan-15 13:28:52

You can't stamp out a religion and it's ridiculous to post as though you can!

Patrickstarxx Wed 07-Jan-15 13:30:10

territt believe me I have had problems in my own life because of people who happen to follow Islam.

But I have also had problems with Christians. I don't blame everyone in that religion.

My came out while he lived in Bradford. He was terrorised, beaten up and even had dead animals posted in his letterbox.

My brother stopped at a service station in his army uniform a few years ago and he was abused and spat on.

PureMorning Wed 07-Jan-15 13:30:16

How would it be possible to 'end Islam'? Get a grip

Bowlersarm Wed 07-Jan-15 13:30:22

Bastards sad. Hope they catch the fuckers.

Patrickstarxx Wed 07-Jan-15 13:30:58

My cousin*

This thread is not accepting new messages.