Talk

Advanced search

What does The Taliban want?

(16 Posts)
Mintyy Tue 16-Dec-14 21:08:44

Have just been talking to dh at length about this. He is an expert on the Third Reich and Nazi Germany. He still can't explain how it comes about that an ideology can convert people into actual psychopaths.

Mintyy Tue 16-Dec-14 21:46:02

Not a fun topic, I do know.

But if anyone knows what it is that the Taliban is/are demanding, then I would be interested to hear.

CogitOIOIO Tue 16-Dec-14 22:30:41

I don't think it's about aims. The ones who start such cults certainly have some political ambitions but I think the common denominator among the rank and file is that, however the ideology is dressed up, the ones participating are easily persuaded they are supreme beings, above any kind of societal law and entitled to eliminate anyone they deem inferior..... which is the rest of us. When there's no clear hierarchy, vague objectives, and all you've got are little groups of rank and file making it up as they go along, you end up with murder squads wreaking havoc

Armies work on similar principles. A well organised army has the ability to kill on command but it's regulated and controlled. However, you don't have to look far to find examples where breakaway groups of soldiers go rogue and yet believe they are fully in the right

niceguy2 Wed 17-Dec-14 00:04:27

I think essentially they believe everyone should be of muslim religion and adhere to a very strict interpretation of Sharia law as well as frankly some bizzare rules such as girls are possessions, no need for education and all they're good for is making babies. No music either.

And if you're not muslim you're an infidel and killing infidels is a just & holy cause that every good muslim should do.

From our point of view there's no negotiating with someone who truly believes you are a lesser being just because you belief is different from theirs.

BOFster Wed 17-Dec-14 00:15:03

They want power, like every other political group. Unfortunately this means a return to

BOFster Wed 17-Dec-14 00:17:18

They want power, like every other political group. Unfortunately this means a return to the 7th Century Caliphate, which leaves a beardy elite in charge of a subjugated majority.

Pressed post too soon, sorry.

Laptopwieldingharpy Wed 17-Dec-14 13:20:11

Power.
Who created this Golem though?

Spinflight Sat 20-Dec-14 22:15:13

Taliban literally means student in Pashtun, or rather specifically religious students who have studied under a Mullah ( one who knows the Koran).

Hence their aims are strictly religious though the wider historical context is interesting.

Half of the Pashtun nation crossed the Durand line into Northern Pakistan during the Soviet genocide, the refugee camps became cities and the war never really ended on that side of the 'border'. It isn't often reported but you will see the odd mention of the SWAT valley etc. Pakistan has taken serious casualties, though oddly the trucks heading into Afghanistan to supply the huge Western bases have never really been touched. I suspect you'll find that the Taliban are really those who can't find employment 'protecting' those trucks.

Charlie Wilson's war gives a remarkably good account of that early period.

Theredandthewhite Sat 20-Dec-14 22:17:20

No idea but Caliphate (re BOFs post) seems to be a new thing/word that's being banded around at the moment.

Keep meaning to google it!

Laptopwieldingharpy Sun 21-Dec-14 14:33:53

Talib simply means student in Arabic, Taliban is the plural form. The afghan Taliban are a political movement same as the the intifadah is a political movement in Palestine.
"Radical Islam" is a superposition and extrapolation into organized crime. The idea of a pseudo caliphate is just a PR stunt to keep Populations hostage.

Laptopwieldingharpy Sun 21-Dec-14 14:42:13

The caliphs that succeeded the prophet Muhammad are a bit like the apostles. So the caliphate is not really a new idea....it's the underlying basis of all law and social order derived from the Koran and Sunna

Laptopwieldingharpy Sun 21-Dec-14 14:46:35

I think what they want at the very core is payback. And it's very scary.

Suzannewithaplan Mon 22-Dec-14 11:38:17

‎A return to a more primitive way of life‎ sad

FlowerFairy2014 Mon 22-Dec-14 12:07:53

The Victorians had a lot of trouble by the Kyber Pass. It has always been a difficult region. We could of course keep out of the area and leave them to it. I suspect that is one of their aims.

Laptopwieldingharpy Tue 23-Dec-14 00:03:54

Agree flower
Its otherwise called " politique de la terre brulee" as in Napoleon's invasion of Russia....scorched earth policy.
To start a clean slate without western interference.

WetAugust Tue 23-Dec-14 23:32:38

Niceguy's right

I look at the issue this way: Christians have an Old and New testament. The Old Testament is (roughly) about vengeance and validates violence e.g. an eye for an eye etc.

Nobody seriously expects Christians to enact 'an eye for an eye' literally any more. The modern focus is on the New Testament, and is above love, understanding, forgiveness etc.

I see these Islamic fundamentalists as people who are following the Qu'ran itself quite literally, rather than the interpretations provided by the Hadith.

You cannot negoiate with people who think that what they are doing is permissible by a divine right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now