Talk

Advanced search

What is the best way to help the Yazidis?

(4 Posts)
tiggersreturn Sun 14-Dec-14 21:54:13

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2867179/ISIS-s-Slavery-Dummies-Jihadists-compile-chilling-checklist-treat-thousands-kidnapped-sex-slaves.html Daily mail or not this is horrific and it just doesn't seem to make the news or people's concerns anymore.

Someone posted a link to these people defendinternational.org/save-the-yazidis-the-world-has-to-act-now/. Does anyone know anything about them and how effective they are?

bestofthesunshine Sun 14-Dec-14 22:09:21

I don't know, but I'm with you and horrified

BackOnlyBriefly Sun 14-Dec-14 22:16:50

Surely step one is 'kill all the members of ISIS'. I don't see what charities can do until they are gone.

And we can't do that as the rest of the region then blames us for everything. The neighbouring countries should be dealing with it.

As for this list I Imagine they copied some of it from the old testament. Somehow being devout and mistreating women has always gone hand in hand.

LouiseBrooks Mon 15-Dec-14 21:48:58

I honestly don't know what the solution is but the whole thing is appalling. Yazidis are still trapped on Mount Sinjar, surrounded by IS, and surviving through food supplies which are being dropped. Yet no one seems to care, just as they don't seem to care about Syria. I appreciate it's immensely difficult for the press to get into these areas but it's as though they've have had enough of both stories and just moved on. Meanwhile 65 people died in Syria just yesterday alone and I have no idea how many Yazidis or Iraqis are dying.

There was an amazing, heartbreaking, documentary on last week about a British doctor working in Syria on the frontline but I wonder how many people watched it I get most of my news about the Middle East from freelance journalists and Twitter, not the mainstream news.

Defend International says it promotes peace through cultural relations and democracy but frankly I can't see that working with either IS or Assad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now