Talk

Advanced search

Is the BBC putting children at risk?

(14 Posts)
EdwardTaylor Tue 09-Dec-14 20:25:47

It seems quite wrong for the BBC to broadcast a programme which shows its own staff breaking the law - especially in a way that puts other people's safety at risk. In this case, through dangerous driving.

"James May's Cars of the People" is a documentary series on the history of cars . Programme 2 (due for re-broadcast on Wednesday 10th Dec) shows the presenter and another man having a race (car against motorbike) on a public road, busy with traffic. That looks irresponsible. Worse still, when James May comes to pedestrian-crossings where he should stop and give way, he ignores the pedestrians and drives straight across. What message does that send about pedestrian safety? Surely, the BBC should criticise driving like this, not portray it as acceptable behaviour.

In Dereham,Norfolk he Shipdham Road pedestrian crossing is described as "an accident waiting to happen" by staff at the local school (Many drivers don't stop when they should, making it dangerous for the children who are trying to cross).

claig Tue 09-Dec-14 20:50:23

It does sound irresponsible. The BBC are always on about role models etc and then they seem to forget about all of that when it comes to the Top Gear lot.

prh47bridge Wed 10-Dec-14 00:50:29

Being more accurate about the programme...

This particular "race" took place in Japan. James May rode a 50-year old a 50cc motorbike following a different route through town to the car. Both obeyed all traffic signals and observed all speed limits (and both had to deal with heavy traffic). This was not by any stretch of the imagination a high speed race.

It is true that May, on the motorbike, drove over some pedestrian crossings in front of or behind pedestrians at low speed and without placing the pedestrians in danger. I understand that this behaviour is common in Japan but I haven't been there personally so I may be wrong.

I would suggest that people watch the episode when it becomes available on iPlayer rather than relying on the OP's description.

EdwardTaylor Wed 10-Dec-14 09:24:21

Its repeated on BBC TV tonight.

isthisunfair1967 Wed 10-Dec-14 09:29:07

Surely it's people, not just children, put at risk?

DustInTheWind Wed 10-Dec-14 09:33:43

It may warn pedestrians not to be complacent about the safety of zebra crossings and the like.
There are numerous cases of people being injured by police vehicles breaking the rules, yet we still have a number of programmes on that follow the police doing their job.
Traffic not stopping at zebra crossings caught me out in France the first time too. They drive round you.

EdwardTaylor Wed 10-Dec-14 10:38:19

Yes, isthisunfair1967, you're absolutely right. Adults are also put at risk. I suppose I was thinking of the children on the Shipdham Road crossing (see above).

EdwardTaylor Wed 10-Dec-14 19:39:23

You say, prh47bridge, that "both obeyed all speed limits". Really? How do you know that?

You also say it was not a "high speed race". You're missing the point which that it is surely wrong to use public roads as a race track (or be seen doing that). There is the danger that they may give encouragement to the boy-racer types who don't care about speed limits or other people safety.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Dec-14 19:53:16

Top gear often do similar races. Along the lines of first of the three presenters to get to Blackpool is the winner. Starting in France. Afaik they've always obeyed speed limits.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Dec-14 19:54:39

I think boy racers who don't care about speed limits aren't really going to be influenced by James may et al. People who don't give a shit will speed with or without Top Gear type programms.

Icimoi Wed 10-Dec-14 21:02:12

They're not using public roads as a race track, because they're not racing on the same road. It would potentially be dangerous if they were trying to overtake each other and get in each other's way the whole time, but they're not. It's a basic requirement every time they do one of these tests that each vehicle obeys the speed limits.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 10-Dec-14 21:07:56

What a load of bollocks

If children can't distinguish between real life and reality perhaps they shouldn't be watching after 8pm when the programme is broadcast?

prh47bridge Wed 10-Dec-14 23:22:56

EdwardTaylor - I was going to respond but Icimoi has already said it perfectly. I don't believe I am missing the point at all. As far as I can see you are. They did not use public roads as a race track.

SamCroClaus Thu 11-Dec-14 10:12:11

wow
what else do you want to ban?
ffs it is a tv programme. you don't have to watch it.
do you never watch films.
look at Harry potter
children flying on broom sticks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now