Talk

Advanced search

Russell Brand wins well-deserved Foot in Mouth award

(313 Posts)
claig Thu 04-Dec-14 07:38:16

"Yesterday the comedian and self-styled revolutionary was honoured with an award – for speaking gobbledygook.

He won the annual Foot in Mouth prize from the Plain English campiagn, joining the likes of John Prescott and George W Bush."

"The group’s website said that Brand’s ‘seemingly endless stream of gibberish, both written and verbal’ had clinched the award."
"Organisers said Brand – who has carved a career out of using many, often inflammatory, words when one would do – was ‘out on his own’ in the competition."

Surely that can't be right? He must have faced stiff competition from the Labour front bench

"The Plain English judges singled out this rant from The Guardian: ‘I felt very connected to activism – particularly activism that feels loaded with potential. Not the oppositional activism that seems like there’s a stasis around it – earnestly sincere, but a monolith.’

How they managed to single this rant out from the rest of the rants in the Guardian beats me. But they are professionals. To me it just seems like New Labour speak without the polar bears.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2858403/Brand-wins-award-gobbledygook.html

Sparklingbrook Thu 04-Dec-14 07:42:53

I love him. Phwoar. smile

claig Thu 04-Dec-14 07:47:49

He loves himnself, I think. But he is good for laugh and adds to the jollity of society.

Here are some more gems. But once again he left out the polar bear clincher.

"They also enjoyed this interview, from the Financial Times: ‘I find [capitalism] hard to understand. It obfuscates truth and I think an economic ideology is oppositional to the spiritual ideologies that are what we need to adopt if we’re to save our planet and humankind.’

claig Thu 04-Dec-14 07:50:50

I love the BBC Newsnight interview when Evan Davis says to Brand

"Let me show you a graph"

and Brand says

"I ain't got time to look at graphs, mate"

grin

bleedingheart Thu 04-Dec-14 07:53:57

"I ain't got time to look at graphs, mate"

DH says that to me all the time now when he's busy or losing an argument. grin

claig Thu 04-Dec-14 07:56:52

'DH says that to me all the time now when he's busy or losing an argument.'

grin

Exactly, it's the sort of thing I'd expect Ed Balls to say when questioned on economics.

Sparklingbrook Thu 04-Dec-14 08:19:08

I don't really hear the words when he speaks. <shallow> grin

claig Fri 05-Dec-14 00:14:44

Next week's Question Time will have Nigel Farage and Russell Brand on.

I have been saying that the Establishment are desperate to stop Farage and that they want to use Brand to help them. Brand will probably get lots more promotion from the BBC before the election.

BiscuitMillionaire Fri 05-Dec-14 00:28:23

Oh wow, Farage and Brand on the same panel! At least it should be the opposite of dull.

claig Fri 05-Dec-14 00:35:09

Yes, I knew they would pull something like that.

The only thing the Establishment have got left to stop Farage and the people is Brand. The Establishment have only got one weapon left against Farage. They have tried all the insults and fear tactics and they have all failed. Now all they have left is to mock and trivialise Farage.

That is why I thought they would use Brand. He will probably scream and shout and call Farage all the names that the Establishment calls him, and the Esatablishment will rub their hands with glee thinking that they have got Farage at last. The BBC are probably giggling as they think they have got Farage. But the Establishment underestimate the people. The people know the game. Farage will emerge the statesman while the Establishment, the BBC and Brand are the clowns.

claig Fri 05-Dec-14 00:46:52

And you can just imagine the type of audience that the BBC will find for Question Time when Farage is on. The booing of Farage will probably be so loud that the audience can't hear what he has to say, while the audience will cheer nearly everything that Brand and the Establishment have to say.

BOFster Fri 05-Dec-14 00:51:13

They are almost equally ridiculous, and the head-to-head represents a very Lowest Common Denominator sort of sensationalism. But at least Brand is a well-intentioned buffoon, rather than a reactionary bigot in clown's clothing.

claig Fri 05-Dec-14 00:53:38

And I bet that the BBC prioritise a question on climate change so that Brand can give the Establishment line on polar bears and the planet against the People's Champion, Farage.

claig Fri 05-Dec-14 00:57:51

'They are almost equally ridiculous'

But can't you see that that is what the Establishment want you to think. They want to trivialise Farage - leader of a party that won a national election with a party that is not the big two for the first time in 100 years. One is a politician, the other a clown who says don't vote. But the BBC have been promoting Brand and I always thought I knew why. They want the public to think that

'They are almost equally ridiculous'

when they are not. They want to trivialise politics, trivialise Farage and mock the people who voted UKIP. They are desperate to stop UKIP and to stop the people. Jokers is all they have left.

claig Fri 05-Dec-14 01:06:10

The Establishment underestimated Farage. They thought one of their finest brains would be able to outwit him. They threw the might of Cleggy at Farage. They even gave Cleggy two debates against Farage in case he slipped up and lost the first one.

The Establishment were astounded when Cambridge Cleggy, from Westminster school turned out a fool and lost both debates for them.

They used the media, they used spinners, they used every trick in their book against Farage but he beat them every time.

The Establishment are on their last legs, they're reeling, they've used up all their wheeling and dealing. They have put all their faith and prayers in Brand. That is all they have left.

claig Fri 05-Dec-14 01:57:20

The Establishment are tearing their hair out, they're biting their nails, Farage has taken the wind out of their sails. They've quit playing nice, they've thrown the last dice, they're climbing the walls, they're praying for their souls, they're totally bereft, they've got nothing left, they've called on Brand to save them from being damned.

JamForTea Fri 05-Dec-14 05:45:16

Er have you been drinking? confused

GilbertBlytheWouldGiftIt Fri 05-Dec-14 05:55:09

grin Farage, people's champion? Claig, have you been huffing lighter fuel?

CarmelasFridge Fri 05-Dec-14 06:01:31

It's like when you say hello to someone at the bus stop and they suddenly start raving and shaking their fists at the sky.

<awkward>

JazzAnnNonMouse Fri 05-Dec-14 07:20:22

Claig if brand is anything it's anti establishment so I don't think you can say it's brand and the establishment v farage! If anything farage is the one that wants to keep Britain as establishment.

claig Fri 05-Dec-14 07:41:28

JazzAnnNonMouse, watch Question Time next week and you will see what the BBC are trying to do.

The Establishment are very clever, they have been in power for years and they intend to keep it that way. They have nothing left against UKIP. They were shocked by the Euro elections, then Clacton and most definitely by Rochester. They are panicking, all bets are now of for teh General Election, the pundits even say that it is the most unpredictable election for ages, everything is up in the air. A People's Army is tearing up their lawns all over the former Thatcherite Tory heartlands of Essex and Kent. The Bullingdon Club are in meltdown, they don't know how to stop the impending doom.

Farage is against the Establishment's real core beliefs - the EU, climate change, open door immigration and aspects of globalisation.

Brand is for most of the Establishment's core beliefs, as far as I can see - the EU, climate change, immigration, but he is against aspects of globalisation.

However, Brand is a comedian, he says don't vote, whereas UKIP are a political party who say vote and tear up the Establishment's lawns.

I am sure that Brand knows why he has been invited on Question Time on the same show as Farage. I am sure he knows what the BBC expects.

None of the Establishment politicians has been able to dent Farage at all. The BBC know that. They know that argument against Farage and the People's Army has all failed. With Brand there will not be much real argument, just shouting, screaming, hysterics, mockery and insults. That is all the Establishment have left. The Establishment knows that they can't get any serious politician to do that, for that they need a clown.

UKIP must know the game and so must Brand.

UKIP's deputy has tweeted

"Paul Nuttall @paulnuttallukip
· 21h 21 hours ago
Question Time 11/12/2014 leader of #UKIP Nigel Farage MEP and the "comedian" Russell Brand www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04v85qt … "

Farage knows the game. He knows the Establishment's and BBC's game.

"Ukip leader Nigel Farage has said he has "a lot of sympathy" for the November 5th protesters and comedian Russell Brand for wanting a revolution to overhaul politics, claiming he and they were driven by the same values.

In his column for the Independent, Farage said he had more in common with the thousands on the Million Mask March than they might think.

And he said that he could see why people listen to Brand, even though he is "talking in riddles about how he'd run the country" and "doesn't really say anything".

"Everywhere you look there is discontent with the mainstream, the establishment, with the corporatist politics that we've been spoon-fed for the past few decades... And who can blame people for wanting to put an end to the cronyist politics that plagues the West?"
"All around the United Kingdom people are itching to become involved in the political debate. Just, sadly for Mr Cameron, Mr Clegg, and Mr Miliband, not alongside any of them."

"He looks and sounds different to most of the others on offer. Kudos, Mr Brand - if your attempts are genuine - to try and get more people engaged in the political debate. Oh and might I add: Parklife!"

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11/07/nigel-farage-russell-brand-parklife_n_6120012.html

Tune in to Question Time next week. Let's see who will win. Will it be the Establishment of the people?

claig Fri 05-Dec-14 08:09:31

Farage is on Channel 4's Googlebox next week with the Posh Couple. It is a risk going on there. The Establishment want to trip Farage up and make him look silly. But Farage is above it, he is almost untouchable because he is in touch with the people. There is almost nothing the Establishment can do.

“Was I taking a risk going in there? Yes, I was … Politics today is so thoroughly overscripted. All the rough edges and all the risk is knocked off, and that is why it has become desperately dull. I thought they were genuine and … people who like me will like it.”

www.theguardian.com/media/2014/dec/04/nigel-farage-gogglebox-ukip-steph-dom

But facing Brand on the BBC's flagship political programme is a real challenge for Farage. It is a far greater challenge than if Farage had to face Cameron, Miliband or Clegg. He can easily defeat those three. The problem with Brand is that there will be no reasoning, no debate, just shouting, ranting, mockery, jeers and insults and the BBC ringmasters will sit back, rub their hands and let it play.

It is not certain that Farage can win this one. But if he does win it and come out on top, then the election is over and the Establishment will lose. That is why the stakes are so high. The Establishment have thrown their last dice, they ain't playing nice. They need Brand, they're playing their last hand.

Tune in next Thursday and see who wins - the Establishment or the people.

JazzAnnNonMouse Fri 05-Dec-14 08:52:51

A peoples army in my mind would be for the good of all people - a left wing movement based on freedom.
A peoples army is not the far right of ukip.

claig Fri 05-Dec-14 09:01:36

Jazz, it's about democracy. The people won't vote for a leftwing People's Army and there is none on offer anyway. The unions have not created one. But there is a People's Army that is tearing up the Establishment's lawns right now, and as Farage says, it will meet all of the people's needs by ending the corporatist politics.

Once that has been finished off, then new parties will emerge, democracy will be reinvigorated, PR will become our voting system and the unions can then create a leftwing People's Army. But if the Establishment beat Farage, then nothing will ever change.

The BBC know that. They've invited Brand on to tackle Farage. They've got nothing else left.

"Everywhere you look there is discontent with the mainstream, the establishment, with the corporatist politics that we've been spoon-fed for the past few decades... And who can blame people for wanting to put an end to the cronyist politics that plagues the West?"

SagaNorensSnowflakeTrousers Fri 05-Dec-14 09:06:38

It's like when you say hello to someone at the bus stop and they suddenly start raving and shaking their fists at the sky.

<awkward>

grin

I would have never thought your posts could get any more odd, Claig

...until you started rhyming them. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now