Talk

Advanced search

Ann Maguire RIP

(32 Posts)
OneSkinnyChip Mon 03-Nov-14 18:38:25

I hope today's verdict brings her family some peace.

The motives of her killer are impossible to fathom sad

LuckyLopez Mon 03-Nov-14 18:40:59

Awful wasn't it? He chased her down the corridor when she went for help. How terrifying sad

Sparklingbrook Mon 03-Nov-14 18:41:59

It defies belief. And the lack of remorse. just awful.

lemonpoppyseed Mon 03-Nov-14 19:10:52

Absolutely. One detail that particularly troubles me is that he told fellow pupils/posted on FB that he was going to do it. How tragic that no-one reported those threats.

doobledootch Mon 03-Nov-14 19:13:25

It really is one of those news stories that just leaves you shaking your head in disbelief. I can't even imagine what her poor family must be going through.

RIP Ann.

OneSkinnyChip Mon 03-Nov-14 19:29:45

I couldn't help wishing that just one of the other pupils had showed a bit of common sense and reported it to someone, especially if the murderer kept repeating his intention to harm her.

Of course they probably thought he was just bragging and being silly.

She just looked like such a lovely person. Such a gorgeous smile and her personality shown out in her photos. I hope her family are comforted by the huge and sincere outpouring of grief by all who knew her.

SirChenjin Mon 03-Nov-14 19:34:53

Just so sad - and like all of you, can't begin to imagine what the family must be going to. I hope they get some of the strength and courage they need from all the messages of support and love from those who knew her and beyond.

Ikeameatballs Mon 03-Nov-14 19:43:03

I was listening to this being discussed on the radio today.

I thought it was really helpful for the police to say that no one could have reasonably predicted this dreadful act. I suspect the friends who heard his threats and did nothing will struggle with this even more as they become adults but it seems that his outward normality meant that they were viewed as insignificant.

An absolute tragedy.

Behoove Mon 03-Nov-14 19:44:14

flowers for her family

Asator Mon 03-Nov-14 19:58:11

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11205480/Ann-Maguire-had-banned-her-teenage-killer-from-school-trip-two-months-before-murder.html

And here it comes, blaming video games and music again.

LeBearPolar Mon 03-Nov-14 20:07:13

I imagine those pupils that he told he intended to murder her on the morning of the murder are going to find this very difficult to come to terms with.

As a teacher, you never imagine that this might happen in all the things you envisage happening with your classes, however difficult the students. I can't imagine how shocked and frightened she must have been. sad I always feel safe in my classroom.

LapsedTwentysomething Mon 03-Nov-14 20:09:17

I find this chilling. As a secondary teacher who has to deal with plenty of awful behaviour it frightens me TBH.

RIP Ann Maguire.

BikeRunSki Mon 03-Nov-14 20:18:15

I know one of her daughters professionally (osteopath), and she is the most kind, calm and gentle person I have ever met. When the story broke on local news, my blood ran cold as I realised the connection. I'd never understood about blood actually running cold until then. When I saw footage of the family on the news and realised that I was right, I couldn't stop crying. It's horrific, absolutely horrific. I usually try to see both sides of a story, but for this, I just can't.

RIP Ann, and God bless your family.

Abra1d Mon 03-Nov-14 20:20:14

Ann Maguire really seemed like one of those people the world can't afford to lose. Perhaps those whom the gods love most really do go first.

Mrsgrumble Mon 03-Nov-14 20:24:15

RIP to a very special, beautiful, kind and upstanding member of the profession.

My her family find the strength to cope with their very sad loss xxxx

Cannot fathom the motive for this loss at all sad

OneSkinnyChip Mon 03-Nov-14 21:30:49

I hadn't read that article above.

I feel very sad for his family too. I'm sure they are just reeling with disbelief, especially at his lack of remorse. It sounds like they are decent people.

And YY Lapsed. I don't think people understand just how out of control some young people are. Working in the classroom really is being on the frontline in some places. Of course it's all the more extraordinary that such a terrible thing happened in what seems like a good school, at the hands of a pupil who seemed to have everything going for him.

It's all such a terrible waste and it would be easier somehow if it was just 'a moment of madness' but it's the premeditation that makes it all so chilling.

hackmum Tue 04-Nov-14 08:29:05

It's incredibly sad. All the reports about her suggest that she was universally loved and admired: one of those rare people who is willing to go the extra mile for everyone.

Like, I imagine, everyone else, I was expecting the boy who killed her to have been the victim of early neglect and brutality, as violent young men so often are. What a shock to find that he came from an apparently normal, loving family and that at least until age 11 or 12, he'd been considered a sweet and thoughtful child. It's all very hard to explain.

DontGotoRoehampton Tue 04-Nov-14 15:49:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

RosieProbert Tue 04-Nov-14 16:05:42

Dontgo
What a totally fucking stupid thing to say. Honestly, either youare being deliberately provocative or you are a massive twat. Vile.

Ohnodisaster Tue 04-Nov-14 16:17:26

But why did none of them say anything to anyone?
Surely a rumour must have gone round the school?

DontGotoRoehampton Tue 04-Nov-14 16:21:51

This vile culture of 'don't snitch' had fatal results.

CaptainJaneSafeway Tue 04-Nov-14 16:26:45

It's way too much to ask of other 15yos that they be able to tell what's a genuine threat and what's just bravado, and they shouldn't have to take responsibility for this. We don't even know if any of them did report what they heard. Maybe it was adults who decided not to act.

Ohnodisaster Tue 04-Nov-14 16:30:52

Yes-I don't agree that they should e anyway implicated in it. Just find it strange that in a fairly 'naice' school, no one thought to report the fact that he was showing knives to people.
But as you say-it may have been reported (in which case it really should have been investigated immediately sad)

Abra1d Wed 05-Nov-14 08:10:45

I don't think they should be 'blamed' but I just can't imagine either of my teenagers and their cohort at that age not saying something to someone. Even if just an older pupil.

hackmum Wed 05-Nov-14 08:41:28

"Just find it strange that in a fairly 'naice' school, no one thought to report the fact that he was showing knives to people."

I agree. My teenage DD and her friends would, I'm fairly sure, tell either their parents or a teacher if they knew something like this. Even if they thought it was just bravado, they'd know to tell someone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now