Talk

Advanced search

Nigel Farage Taken Apart in Landmark LBC Radio Interview with James O’Brien

(93 Posts)
ttosca Fri 16-May-14 19:17:29

UKIP leader Nigel Farage must now regret his decision to challenge LBC Radio’s James O’Brien to a debate today over the broadcaster’s criticisms of the party . In a dazzling example of gloves-off political interview technique, O’Brien came armed to the teeth with awkward questions that left Farage floundering. We need more of this.

www.scriptonitedaily.com/2014/05/16/nigel-farage-taken-apart-in-landmark-lbc-radio-interview-with-james-obrien/

tethersend Fri 16-May-14 19:20:11

I particularly enjoyed Farage's misunderstanding of figures relating to EAL children being pointed out to him with reference to his own children grin

VeryStressedMum Fri 16-May-14 19:31:12

All immigrants out and no non English speakers allowed in this country...except his wife and children of course....

Suzannewithaplan Sat 17-May-14 10:53:15

I happened to catch most of it live, poor old Nige looked a right plonker, his mate had to step in and rescue him grin

Solopower1 Sat 17-May-14 12:57:57

Excellent interviewing by James O'Brien. Great stuff.

Nigel Farage is a very skilful manipulator of public opinion. He appeals directly to all that is nastiest in human beings - the greediest, most selfish, cowardly, bullying impulses. Luckily we're better than that.

He would say he's just voicing people's concerns. But you can do that in several ways. If someone is finding it difficult to get a house/school place/hospital appointment/job - whatever - you could blame it on the people in power who have made the decisions to allow the housing market to spiral out of control, or to donate taxpayers' money to private companies and banks. Or you could blame the immigrants. Which is easier? The government - all that is just too complicated, too vast, too impossible to grasp, too powerful. Farage chooses to stir up hatred against our neighbours, the people we sit next to on the train, the doctors that treat us, the parents of the children who play with our own kids. The ordinary people who coexist with us on this piece of our planet. Why does he do that when the inevitable consequence is social unrest, communities that are at war with each other?

As I said, luckily we're better than that. We might think he's got a point, yes, life would be better if we didn't have to share what we've got with so many foreigners - but then our better selves come to the rescue. In our hearts we know what he says is cowardly and mean. In our heads, when we start to examine it in detail, we realise he is wrong. His arguments don't stand up. And he's a liar.

Watch him disappear up his own orifice, some time soon.

Solopower1 Sat 17-May-14 12:58:37

And breathe.

bewleysisters Sat 17-May-14 23:54:18

Wow - that's one impressive bit of radio journalism. Must hear (and see - it's on video too)!

ErrolTheDragon Sun 18-May-14 00:04:43

What usually happens when a UKIP representative makes a horrible gaffe (ie says what they really think) they get chucked out or the leadership disassociates themselves from the comments. Hm, what's going to happen when it's Farage himself who's done it?

I didn't hear the interview but I've heard/read reports on it...
I do hope that another interviewer tries to extract from him just what the difference is between a German and a Romanian which apparently we're all supposed to know but he wouldn't expand on. eveningharold.com/2014/05/17/play-you-know-the-difference-with-nigel-farage

edamsavestheday Sun 18-May-14 00:09:49

James O'Brien should get an award for that. Farage is a plonker but few other journalists have got him on the hook quite so effectively.

tribpot Sun 18-May-14 00:15:41

I particularly enjoyed him querying UKIP's involvement in Europe with more overtly racist groups and those linked to Anders Behring Breivik.

EverythingCounts Sun 18-May-14 00:18:45

Does the link allow you to listen or is it a piece about the interview? I'd really like to hear it. Sounds great.

I would like to get this guy onto Boris next - Boris is a lot smarter than Nige but still gets away with the 'appealing bumbler' schtick far too often.

bewleysisters Sun 18-May-14 14:07:35

You can watch it in full here: www.lbc.co.uk/watch-nigel-farage-v-james-obrien-live-from-1130-90532

Agree interviewer James O'Brien deserves an award (and job on R4 Today).

niceguy2 Sun 18-May-14 20:27:04

it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy grin

amicissimma Mon 19-May-14 15:09:16

So we have a demonstration that if person A repeatedly shouts over person B, carefully steers the 'debate' round to the points where his research is better than B's, goes over the same point, which he feels he has won again and again (yes, yes, I get it, NF's DCs have English as a second language) and brushes aside B's points, he will 'win' the argument. James O'Brian won. And? I doubt anyone's mind has changed as a result.

If the opinion polls are to be believed, however, Nigel Farage, although he is not particularly trained/gifted in rhetoric, does not employ a team of spin-doctors and PR advisors and does not have masses of researchers at his disposal and is often unsure of details and facts, does seem to be winning people round to his point of view.

JuliaScurr Mon 19-May-14 15:15:11

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152866335103572&set=a.10152866335013572.1073741826.648468571&type=1&theater

Farage's fascist minders in Margate

Caitlin17 Sat 24-May-14 00:49:05

The O'Brien interview is a master- class in technique. No shouting, no haranguing, no talking over, just thoroughly researched and giving enough rope for Farage to hang himself. I hope he goes far (O'Brien that is, not Farage , Farage should just go far away)

Sedgewick Sun 01-Jan-17 13:05:20

Sadly, Farage got the better of us. And while sniffs around Trump, panting to be his side kick and run off to America - WE are left with Brexit.

Isn't that great? He causes a lot of fuss and bother about immigrants (our neighbours and friends) and how we must have Brexit - then leaves it to others to sort out, as he runs off into the sunset with Trump.

It is men like Trump and Farage that keep the world's wealth (Trump pays no taxes) and mean that those at the bottom of the ladder get so little. Not immigrants (who have as little as the white working class) but men like Farage and Trump.

Why are we always too afraid to put the blame where it rests? Why do we follow capitalists when they do not have our best interests at heart?

RortyCrankle Sun 01-Jan-17 13:50:02

I have never been a Farage fan but to be honest, once we won the referendum, why would anyone think that it was his job to take us forward? He isn't even an MP and has no power to do so. Surely it must be for the Government to implement our extraction, hopefully as quickly as possible.

Sedgewick Sun 01-Jan-17 14:07:15

Yeah, but any responsible person, would do some basic research before promoting something....

If he'd asked a few basic questions he could have found out if might take up to 10 years to achieve Brexit.

Most people would have liked to know little snippets of information like that BEFORE voting.

He has been downright dishonest, then he skips off into the sunset.

A lot of people didn't know what they were voting for. For example, those who wanted lower immigration will be bitterly disappointed. Those who wanted to have millions donated to the NHS will also be disappointed.

Farage is responsible, in government or not. Just like we are all responsible for the things we say and do.

I kind of mind being lied to. Don't you? Why is it that anyone in politics is exempt from the false advertising, that a company would be fined for!

Why is lying acceptable in politics, especially these days?

DeviTheGaelet Sun 01-Jan-17 14:17:09

Yes totally agree sedgewick
Farage, BoJo and Gove have fucked the country for their own political ends.
I'm pleased O'Brian raised Farage's links to the far right. I remember BNP leader Nick Griffin being effectively no platformed for his views and it baffles me how Farage gets so much air time when his political views seem very similar to Griffins. Can only think that it's because UKIP was established as a legitimate political party (single issue) before he took over as leader. He has effectively morphed UKIP into a BNP style far right party and we have to pretend all the racism is fine as it's "free speech".
Yuck.

myoriginal3 Sun 01-Jan-17 14:38:50

I loathe James obrien.
He is the most pompous hypocritical ass.

myoriginal3 Sun 01-Jan-17 14:46:24

James obrien went to private school and mentions it almost daily.
I stopped listening when a taxi driver phoned in and said that he found east London parents to be more frazzled with their children while WEST London parents were calmer and more engaging with their s.
James said he recognized himself as being the latter parent as when he is out and about with his children he points out the blue historical plaques on houses etc.
Then he challenges Farage?

Give me a fucking break.

Sedgewick Sun 01-Jan-17 15:07:46

Yes, DeviTheGaelet - agree completely.

Unfortunately, if we didn't give Farage air time, he would be delighted. He would then become some sort of oppressed martyr for racists everywhere.

The trouble is, image matters more than reality. The Farage "brand" is that of a "reasonable" man, having a beer in his local pub - a man of the people.

In reality, Farage "struggles" to get by on £109,000 a year (plus expenses) - he doesn't understand or care about poverty.

He just knows that in times of economic crisis, the most effective thing right wing politicians can do is manipulate the population, by telling them everything is the fault of "foreigners".

So, now we have people whining that it's so UNFAIR that the liberal media doesn't support them in their right to insult people from different countries/people with more melanin in their skin than they have!

Frustrating when there is so much REAL stuff we have every right to complain about...

If people weren't being manipulated by wealthy politicians, here's what they might want to focus on:

Wages for working people haven't gone up in years, while the gap between the poor and the top 1% grows ever more extreme.

How about we tax the wealthy more effectively ...rather than celebrate the Trumps of this world who brag about never paying it?

How about better training and education - so British people have an equal chance of filling the skills gap currently filled by immigrants?

How about we stop punishing children for being poor - make it affordable for them to go to University?

There is PLENTY of money in the UK. It just is being reserved by the top 1%.

Don't fight with immigrants who are struggling to get a bite from a tiny piece of the pie - look to the top 1%!

Think about the bankers that brought this country to its knees, because they were incompetent and immoral - not one has been locked up for their daylight robbery.

The final irony is that the right wingers are the ones who always get angry about strikes! Even (especially?) the working classes!!

Why would you not want to safeguard your rights and ensure fair pay and working conditions?!?!?!

I put it to you that if you're working class AND right wing, you are basically punching yourself in the face.

hotmail124 Sun 01-Jan-17 15:16:55

And days after he released anti migrant poster in June, he tried to migrate to Germany, perhaps and allegedly not wholly legally.
skwawkbox.org/2016/12/30/proof-farage-applied-for-german-citizenship-and-hes-under-police-investigation-for-it/

Sedgewick Sun 01-Jan-17 15:20:56

Thing is, myoriginal, it's not a crime to have gone to a private school. If James O'Brien was lucky enough to get a good education, then that's great.

Should we hate him for it? Devalue him for getting a good start in life?

Don't we ALL want a good start in life?

What I would like to see is us ALL get a good start in life - just like James. Be it a well-funded state school, or more affordable private school education.

From what he's said on the radio, he'd like that too.

Not sure why you think he'd be a better human being if, like Trump and Farage, he wanted to roll up the ladder up behind him....

He works for his living. He puts himself on the line every day, by expressing left wing views, gets all sorts of threats made against him.

Christ. If someone is privileged and STILL fights for those who are not - bloody good on them.

Should he set up businesses where he does not pay his workers or taxes - like Trump? Because that sort of behaviour is currently being celebrated.

Trump is the man Farage supports...

Not sure why you aren't more annoyed with Farage, than someone who is trying to improve the lives of regular folk, like James is.

Oh and...good for him that he lives in West London if he likes living there....not sure how this impacts your life?

(P.S! Yes - he can sound very patronising!! I don't think he means to though!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: