Talk

Advanced search

Well done William and Harry - helping with sandbags in flooded area

(105 Posts)
claig Fri 14-Feb-14 15:29:46

William and Harry are helping by laying sandbags in Datchet.

Very well done and to Prince Charles for visiting the Somerset Levels earlier on.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2559329/William-Harry-chip-flood-effort-help-soldiers-lay-sandbags-Thames.html

Bunbaker Fri 14-Feb-14 15:33:51

Prince Charles came to Sheffield in 2007 after the dreadful floods. He was very sympathetic and very well received.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 14-Feb-14 15:34:53

I'm always glad to see people doing rather than just talking.

IamInvisible Fri 14-Feb-14 15:35:07

Why?

Why well done Harry and not well done to the soldier stood next to him? They are both in the military!

claig Fri 14-Feb-14 15:43:37

'Prince Charles came to Sheffield in 2007 after the dreadful floods. He was very sympathetic and very well received.'

I didn't know that. Great respect to him for showing solidarity with ordinary people.

'Why?'

It shows that they have solidarity with people who are suffering this flooding. It is a great morale booster to the whole country to show that Royalty care.

JanineStHubbins Fri 14-Feb-14 15:53:21

It is a great morale booster to the whole country to show that Royalty care.

Ha! Don't forget to tug that forelock.

LoopyDoopyDoo Fri 14-Feb-14 15:54:29

Seriously? hmm

Bunbaker Fri 14-Feb-14 15:57:25

Well, what else can they do. Just ignore what is happening?

IamInvisible Fri 14-Feb-14 15:58:02

Do people seriously believe that sort of shit? hmm

If I had been under water in Somerset for 6 weeks it would take more than Prince bloody William handing out sandbags in Berkshire to boost my morale!

claig Fri 14-Feb-14 15:58:52

I'm not a particular fan of Royalty and I don't agree with Prince Charles on 'climate change', but respect where respect is due. It wasn't their decisions that led to any of this and they are still willing to get their hands dirty.

I'd like to see the top echelons of the 'Environment Agency' helping out knee-deep in water.

charleybarley Fri 14-Feb-14 16:00:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IamInvisible Fri 14-Feb-14 16:01:04

No, they don't have to ignore it Bunbaker, but seriously why should they be getting a well done, or a round of applause?

Plenty of other people have done what they are doing today, for days on end, people have offered houses, services etc. They are the ones who should be getting the thanks and appreciation imo.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Fri 14-Feb-14 16:01:38

Well done to everyone who is helping out surely?

OneStepCloser Fri 14-Feb-14 16:02:31

ack, they were only there for the photoshoot. I mean good on them but I don't think they can ever understand what it's like to be a 'run of the mill' citizen. I have to agree with Janine here, not to forget to tug on my forelock.

NaffOrf Fri 14-Feb-14 16:02:31

Says who? I couldn't give a tu'penny damn what they think.

claig Fri 14-Feb-14 16:03:00

'Plenty of other people have done what they are doing today, for days on end, people have offered houses, services etc. They are the ones who should be getting the thanks and appreciation imo.'

Absolutely. they are all heroes.
But we haven't seen many of what is called "the great and the good" down there.

charleybarley Fri 14-Feb-14 16:03:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JanineStHubbins Fri 14-Feb-14 16:03:36

I'd like to see the top echelons of the 'Environment Agency' helping out knee-deep in water.

I'd rather the top echelons focus on managing the situation. Any able-bodied person can lug a few sandbags around.

OneStepCloser Fri 14-Feb-14 16:04:24

Also, being really honest, if I were flooded out I would not particularly welcome them turning up on my door with a thousand pap and patronising sympathy, I'd rather real help.

Sixweekstowait Fri 14-Feb-14 16:10:06

Kate recently on holiday in Mustique, William shooting deer in Spain .... Yeh right, just like ordinary people , and isn't Harry on the army payroll anyway?

Ifcatshadthumbs Fri 14-Feb-14 16:10:12

I imagine there are plenty of run of the mill people who are unaffected who are going about their daily business not giving a second thought to people who have been flooded let alone doing something to actually help so i don't understand the snarky comments about the royals.

Dammed if the do damned if they don't.

claig Fri 14-Feb-14 16:13:29

'Yeh right, just like ordinary people'

But that's the whole point. Royalty are not "just like ordinary people" and that is why it is good to see them lending a hand.

StillaChocoholic Fri 14-Feb-14 16:15:13

Oh whoop-de-fucking-doo

If it wasn't for them being royalty they would have already been out there helping.

I'd rather see a thread saying well done to everyone that's helped out, especially those that have been helping since the floods started before frigging christmas.

Bubblegoose Fri 14-Feb-14 16:16:59

I think we should use royals as sandbags.

claig Fri 14-Feb-14 16:17:30

Of course well done to everybody that has helped.
But royalty helping is symbolic. It is a sign that someone at the top of society actually gives a damn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now