Talk

Advanced search

Working mothers and shifts

(3 Posts)
jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Tue 11-Feb-14 21:25:11

Does anyone know if it is current news that working mothers have the right to refuse to work shifts/unsociable hours? A friend was talking about this as though it was a current development but when I search for information all I could find was stuff from 2001. Currently trying to get part time hours at work but have been told no, so just gathering all information I can!

AuntieStella Tue 11-Feb-14 21:32:35

Yes, but the synonym for that action is resignation.

You have the right to request flexible working. It must be properly considered. But if there are sound business reasons it can be denied. If it is, you can appeal. But if the appeal also fails, you need to work previously agreed hours (as laid down in contract or by long-standing actual pattern), then you need to work that attern or leave.

spookyskeleton Tue 11-Feb-14 21:35:15

No, I am not aware of this at all and I work in HR for an organisation where the majority of staff work shifts/unsociable hours.

Parents have the right to request flexible working but your employer does not have to agree to it if it doesn't meet the business needs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now