Talk

Advanced search

Pink toys hurt the economy

(8 Posts)
columngollum Thu 06-Feb-14 16:24:57

I don't think there's anything wrong with pink. What I think is that there are too few female role models in engineering. (Science has more female role models.) But I think it would help more if Margaret Thatcher's part in inventing squishy icecream was publicised more. The equations are the same whether written with pink ink in flowery folders or black ink in grey ones.

columngollum Thu 06-Feb-14 16:27:45

Also, if girls are fairing comparatively better in text based subjects it's not surprising if they prefer those when selecting a degree. Why would you prefer a subject which you had less of an advantage in even if all of your grades were good ones?

Nataleejah Fri 07-Feb-14 10:07:08

In my own childhood girls' toys were never pink. They were miniature copies of real things. I hate pink colour personally.

WooWooOwl Fri 07-Feb-14 13:22:39

How on earth did you link an opinion that pink toys hurt the economy to the rest of what you have posted? confused

Isitmebut Fri 07-Feb-14 15:00:54

The pink toy versus the economy I believe was a foolish comment by a female Tory minister.

Not a great advert for increasing their numbers. lol

NiceTabard Fri 07-Feb-14 20:25:34

"Why would you prefer a subject which you had less of an advantage in even if all of your grades were good ones?"

Because it's a subject you enjoy
Because it leads to a good career / prospects

?

NiceTabard Fri 07-Feb-14 20:28:07

Oh what the OP is referring to is here.

Her gist was that toys these days are "colour coded" or labelled for boys or for girls, and that the toys which are "for girls" are different in what they teach than the "for boys" toys, which across the population over time results in a steer towards / away from certain areas between the sexes.

breatheslowly Fri 07-Feb-14 20:41:59

My DD is 3 and loves pink. She also says she wants to be an engineer. It's not either/or. But as her parents we can't stem the tide of pink - it would just cause unnecessary arguments with her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now